BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Part Number for F90 OEM Windshield

07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

Part Number for F90 OEM Windshield

My windshield cracked on Thursday (actually looks like a stress fracture). Does anyone have the part number for the F90 OEM Windshield? Insurance/Safelite are having a hard time locating it.
      07-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Getbmwparts.com

You can find it there pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-M5 View Post
My windshield cracked on Thursday (actually looks like a stress fracture). Does anyone have the part number for the F90 OEM Windshield? Insurance/Safelite are having a hard time locating it.
51-31-7-388-745

It’s the same part number as other 5 series with a HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Quote:
51-31-7-388-745

It’s the same part number as other 5 series with a HUD.
thank you!

also went to the dealer this morning to get a quote. attached here in case anyone is interested
Attached Images

07-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
S91320
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i, 2014 550xi

Quote:
thank you!

also went to the dealer this morning to get a quote. attached here in case anyone is interested
Good data point. I paid my local BMW Dealer (in Southern California) slightly more than that to replace the windshield of my F10 5-series, at the start of 2018. That windshield cracked right along the boundary of the rearview mirror mount, which makes me wonder if this is a recurring failure mode for BMW windshields.

It may not help you out in your state, but after alot of work I was able to persuade GEICO to cover this replacement (less deductible).

The key was to leverage California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Division 33, Chapter 1, Article 8, Section 3365.1 and point out that aftermarket glass does not come with a certificate of conformance asserting that it meets BMW specifications, and that Safelite (GEICO's preferred installer) conversely does not follow BMW installation practices.

By strict interpretation of this law, none of the aftermarket glass or installers out there should really be replacing windshields in California since 2017, yet the reality is that they do. I took this up with California Bureau of Automotive Repair too, who agreed with me in principle, yet lack the means or will to take enforcement action.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
autophile1
Rep
Drives: 2018 Donington M5

Quote:
thank you!

I just had mine replaced last month (quoted in May and replaced in June). Quote from dealership is attached and in Canadian $$. My insurance covered it less $250 deductible. Hope this helps

Just found out a few days go that the rain sensing wipers are not "sensing" so it needs to go back in. Hoping it's a simple calibration error...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autophile1 View Post
Quote:
thank you!

I just had mine replaced last month (quoted in May and replaced in June). Quote from dealership is attached and in Canadian $$. My insurance covered it less $250 deductible. Hope this helps

Just found out a few days go that the rain sensing wipers are not "sensing" so it needs to go back in. Hoping it's a simple calibration error...
that looks very cheap compared to some of the quotes I've seen. I wonder if they didn't do the recalibration after installing the new windshield.
      07-30-2019, 04:15 AM   #8
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
If you want to talk about windshields, I have replaced two in my car already!!! There is no aftermarket glass available and it is the same as the regular 5 series with the HUD. I refused to have SafeLite perform the replacement and took the car to a certified BMW body shop. They did an outstanding job and I can't tell that anything is different from the way it look out of the factory. Those quotes look right. Make sure that you take a picture of your HUD settings before you drop the car off if they are doing the sensor re-calibration. It will help you get back to "normal" after you get your car back.

I have to say that for a car that is designed to be driven at triple digit speeds all day long, the windshield seems to be pretty weak...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

You can save $600-$700 by ordering you parts here....

https://www.onlinebmwshop.com/search...str=windshiled
      08-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
If you want to talk about windshields, I have replaced two in my car already!!! There is no aftermarket glass available and it is the same as the regular 5 series with the HUD. I refused to have SafeLite perform the replacement and took the car to a certified BMW body shop. They did an outstanding job and I can't tell that anything is different from the way it look out of the factory. Those quotes look right. Make sure that you take a picture of your HUD settings before you drop the car off if they are doing the sensor re-calibration. It will help you get back to "normal" after you get your car back.

I have to say that for a car that is designed to be driven at triple digit speeds all day long, the windshield seems to be pretty weak...
Makes sense. State Farm ended up covering the whole thing with OEM glass and BMW Seattle performing all the work. Quote was ~$2,300 and I just had to pay my $250 deductible.