BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Loaner car given out in my name

02-07-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Loaner car given out in my name

What would you do?

I recently had my BMW in for service, so was given a loaner BMW. I thought that was generous as I really didn't need a loaner, but figured it was easier than waiting for a shuttle ride.

So I picked up my BMW the next day and returned the loaner. I thought it odd that the service advisor did not present the loaner document or perform a walk-around inspection of the loaner. In fact, the loaner car disappeared while I was waiting for my service advisor, key fob in hand.

Two days later I received a .pdf document stating I returned the loaner 2 days AFTER I returned it, plus it had nearly 200 miles on it. I only drove the car a few miles home and back, nothing more.

I called my service advisor, demanding the loaner document be edited for accuracy. No dice. He said the transaction was closed and couldn't be edited. It took me many phone calls before I finally found someone at the dealer who said they could edit the document and even then, I'm not sure they did.

I wrote a complaint to BMW HQ. Not sure what good it will do, except maybe get me black listed at my local dealer. Still, I'm pissed.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

This is absurd! Out of curiosity — are they attempting to charge you for this??
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 01:35 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Strange. So I wonder why/who in the dealership needed to use a loaner car for another day or so? Yeah, I’d be pissed too especially if they’d charged me a fee for excessive usage! However, if I did one round trip to work, I’d have put 100 miles on the car so I don’t think 200 is necessarily excessive. If they don’t want to put mileage on a loaner then don’t offer loaners in the first place.

I never recall having a walk around done and a receipt given when returning a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
The dealer must have security cameras that will confirm your drop off.
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2024, 01:54 PM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

^ its sucks you have to go to the people owning the footage to prove your innocence. honestly the way they handle cars going in and out makes me head spin. so many flaws and when you want everything detailed they take it personally
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
Joachim328.00
      02-07-2024, 02:13 PM   #6
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Contact their service manager, general manager, dealer principal/owner/president until you get someone to listen to you and correct their mistake. If they're charging you anything they shouldn't have then make a charge back claim against your credit card. Also let them know you will be making a fraud claim against them with BMW NA, BBB, etc.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 02:32 PM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

As above have said, contact the higher ups, frame it as you think one of their employees is steeling from them. Pretty sure the employees knew exactly what they were doing, they probably used the car to get home/etc. Then actually "returned" it and the company picks up the dime, none the wiser, white colar chrime.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 04:30 PM   #8
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joralemon st. View Post
This is absurd! Out of curiosity — are they attempting to charge you for this??
I wasn't charged for anything. What bothers me is what would've happened if the loaner car was in an accident or incident while still checked out to me. What if the driver ran a red light and a traffic camera recorded the license plate? How could I prove I wasn't driving the car?

Appreciate 4
      02-07-2024, 04:31 PM   #9
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
As above have said, contact the higher ups, frame it as you think one of their employees is steeling from them. Pretty sure the employees knew exactly what they were doing, they probably used the car to get home/etc. Then actually "returned" it and the company picks up the dime, none the wiser, white colar chrime.
I tried 4 times to connect with the general manager, but he wouldn't pick up his phone. When it went to voice mail, I got a message stating the box was full. It was darned frustrating.

Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 04:46 PM   #10
Joralemon st.
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I wasn't charged for anything. What bothers me is what would've happened if the loaner car was in an accident or incident while still checked out to me. What if the driver ran a red light and a traffic camera recorded the license plate? How could I prove I wasn't driving the car?
Totally. With this kind of behavior I wouldn't be surprised if YOUR car was given to someone as a loaner

Glad to hear you weren't charged.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2024, 05:08 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
How could I prove I wasn't driving the car?
There must be some evidence (in their database if you don't keep the papers) you picked up your car when you did. Is it possible to keep the loaner beyond that point?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:27 PM   #12
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I would go back in person. Plain and simple. I would also log a complaint with Corporate. Put it back on them saying would you be happy if someone was driving the car that they had returned,
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 06:28 PM   #13
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Knowing how most dealerships work this isn't making sense... Not doubting you but. You had the key and the car drove away..?? Usually the second key is kept locked far away and hard to access.

The GM usually has his head in the clouds and will just delegate on. Most BMW dealerships have a manager of the service department that oversees loaners and would be the better to talk with.

BMW HQ will typically not be of much assistance.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:37 PM   #14
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
3.0L, you should post the dealer's name so others can be careful when using their loaners.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:33 PM   #15
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

So much drama
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:19 PM   #16
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
If there is no charges being levied on you here. I'm not sure what you're worried about in reality.

I've had a very wide loaner experience depending on dealership and brands I've used over the years between BMW and Mercedes. I would have ignored this if there were no charges being passed onto me that aren't legitimate; as the case is here.

The loaner is owned by the dealership and is their responsibility. If the next driver ran a red light and got a red light camera ticket that goes to the Dealership. They'd have to eat the cost if they had no idea who was driving it (as you can easily prove it wasn't you since you have your car back). Your car insurance would tell them to kick rocks if that person was in an accident in the car as well. Since, they wouldn't extend coverage to cover the next person the dealership gave the car to (irrespective of what a paper says).

You're adding too much drama to your life in my opinion.

Sometimes it can helpful to have your SA and the Dealership go to bat for your with BMWNA for stuff. No need to risk that by becoming a persona non grata for something like this.

Just my $.02 anyway. You do you.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 05:23 AM   #17
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
I tried 4 times to connect with the general manager, but he wouldn't pick up his phone. When it went to voice mail, I got a message stating the box was full. It was darned frustrating.
Just what you usually get when you try to have a conversation with anyone that deals with customer service issues.

I've never had that happen with a car, but have with a carpet cleaner. Finally they looked at video and saw me returning it when I said I did.

Like you said, it's not a matter of $, but all the things that coulda happened including an accident coming back to your insurance. I would go there and demand to talk to the owner(s) in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:58 AM   #18
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

guys keep in mind loaners are billed and reimbursed by BMWNA

edit: Isay that with 90% confidence, however, loaners are a requirement of BMWNA. regardless of compensation structure
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:22 AM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Even worse, the GM or whoever in the dealership could be in on the scheme also, they could be using the cars for their own use and billing BMWNA.

I'm sure BMWNA would be happy to know about this.

Fraud is fraud, even if it didn't come out of the OP's wallet.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Contact their service manager, general manager, dealer principal/owner/president until you get someone to listen to you and correct their mistake. If they're charging you anything they shouldn't have then make a charge back claim against your credit card. Also let them know you will be making a fraud claim against them with BMW NA, BBB, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
If it was me I would not let this go. This is a big deal. I would go there in person.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #21
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post

edit: Isay that with 90% confidence, however, loaners are a requirement of BMWNA. regardless of compensation structure
BMWNA isn't in the car rental business. The dealership is required to have X percentage of cars in their loaner fleet. They take a car out of inventory assign it to the loaner fleet. They then must have it in the loaner fleet for X long and they get a discount on the purchase of that vehicle. They can then sell that vehicle at a lower price to a customer. Passing on a discount that they got from BMWNA.

I've worked at dealerships that had 225 plus cars in the loaner fleet. What was really crazy was occasionally we would come across a loaner marked for sale that the loaner fleet lost track of and literally had ten or so miles, but were marked for sale at the same savings any other loaner would have with thousands of miles.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
      02-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #22
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
BMWNA isn't in the car rental business. The dealership is required to have X percentage of cars in their loaner fleet. They take a car out of inventory assign it to the loaner fleet. They then must have it in the loaner fleet for X long and they get a discount on the purchase of that vehicle. They can then sell that vehicle at a lower price to a customer. Passing on a discount that they got from BMWNA.

I've worked at dealerships that had 225 plus cars in the loaner fleet. What was really crazy was occasionally we would come across a loaner marked for sale that the loaner fleet lost track of and literally had ten or so miles, but were marked for sale at the same savings any other loaner would have with thousands of miles.
so loaners are not reimbursed per each warranty job?
Appreciate 0