Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Advice/Help on Finding a Decent M340i [MidAtlantic USA]

04-27-2024, 08:04 AM   #1
vaironl
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Yaris

Advice/Help on Finding a Decent M340i [MidAtlantic USA]

Hi all! For the past 10.5 years I’ve daily driven a manual Yaris. Boring but reliable car that let me achieve other more important goals. I only post my current car to give context that pretty much anything I go into will be more fun than the Yaris. Now I can finally get into a fun car, but I’ve not bought a car in over a decade and wanted advice on whether my plan is solid or not.

I have been thinking to get either an 330i or M340i. I don’t drive a lot for work but do several roadtrips throughout the year. The 330i seems like the sensible option but I think since I may not upgrade for a while (6+ years) I may start to regret not going for the more powerful option, hence why I'm leaning towards the M340i. Not entirely set on any car as of yet, I even have thought about Lexus IS models which are very different cars on driving dynamics, hence why they are at the bottom of my options.

My main goal is comfort, with fun drivability, nice sounding exhaust note but a close second is a car with low NVH. I have a rescue dog who went through some shit and I need to be able and have the car be quite enough when it’s not being pushed so she doesn’t panic in it. I do know these are in conflict with each other: nice exhaust note, scared dog. This is the only part where I am wary of the 340i. I recall seeing in normal/eco driving mode the exhaust can be quiet, especially if I am not pushing it, is that correct?

Finally, I know prices are crazy and sticking to the low 40s, up to $45K tops. I think a CPO will give me the best bang for buck but wonder if additional warranties could be had on top of the CPO to ensure I am covered for the next couple of years? I've done all work on my Yaris and kept it well maintained, I've heard doing the same on the M340 will keep it running well but want to pad myself with some additional warranty time.

I have read some CPO nightmares in this forum, more of people buying sight unseen and finding evidence of repaint/accidents. It seems I need to make sure I can check out the car in person and thoroughly evaluate it for accidents or downplayed damages, etc. A big issue about seeing the car in person...

I cannot find any CPOs near me here in the DMV area , so am not sure of how to get to test drive one unless it’s new. Not sure if I’ll even be allowed to test drive a new m340i, and even if I can my price puts me back 2-3 model years.

I know CarMax is another option but even with the warranty I would be concerned about how the previous owner treated it and if CarMax techs spotted that. I guess this could also happen for CPOs, but I assume at BMW CPOs they may be more familiar with issues and spot them before CPO'ing the car.

My last thought was to ask experienced enthusiasts on this forum, near me that may be willing to help me with the process so I don’t end up in a nightmare situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 09:50 AM   #2
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Great post and welcome to the forum
  • Exhaust note is more pronounced on earlier builds like the 2019/2020. The MH builds from 2021 are muted. So if you like having bangs, burbles and crackles you'd be looking at the 2020 (unicorn for the fan boys) otherwise you can install the MPE if going newer.
  • Eco PRO is certainly quieter but, as noted above, it won't make much of a difference on 2021+ models
  • How far are you willing to travel outside of DMV to guarantee a hitch-free buying experience?
  • For your outlined requirements, the 330i will suffice IMO. It sounds like you're only considering the M340i because of FOMO. If you need the power, sure; but make no mistake, the 330i isn't a sleeper.
  • If going CPO I'd feel more comfortable going with the dealer than CarMax.
  • Finally, go test drive and be the best judge. I don't think you will have a problem scheduling a test drive; more than likely the car won't be loaded but at least you have an idea of what you're getting into, literally.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 11:05 AM   #3
vaironl
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Great post and welcome to the forum
  • Exhaust note is more pronounced on earlier builds like the 2019/2020. The MH builds from 2021 are muted. So if you like having bangs, burbles and crackles you'd be looking at the 2020 (unicorn for the fan boys) otherwise you can install the MPE if going newer.
  • Eco PRO is certainly quieter but, as noted above, it won't make much of a difference on 2021+ models
  • How far are you willing to travel outside of DMV to guarantee a hitch-free buying experience?
  • For your outlined requirements, the 330i will suffice IMO. It sounds like you're only considering the M340i because of FOMO. If you need the power, sure; but make no mistake, the 330i isn't a sleeper.
  • If going CPO I'd feel more comfortable going with the dealer than CarMax.
  • Finally, go test drive and be the best judge. I don't think you will have a problem scheduling a test drive; more than likely the car won't be loaded but at least you have an idea of what you're getting into, literally.
Thanks for clarifying that! I’m not very familiar with the differences between updates/refresh. I will say I’m prepared to do a multi day drive back, but would definitely prefer to avoid having to go all the way across the country. Will admit, it definitely is more FOMO solely based on video reviews and also keeping it those 6-years. I feel is one of those things were if I don’t do it ai may regret it a year or two in but if I don’t I may also complain. Again, coming from a 103hp Yaris, anything will feel like a massive upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:41 PM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Again, coming from a 103hp Yaris, anything will feel like a massive upgrade.
Coming from earlier 3-series to the G20 is also a huge upgrade. As I said earlier, the 330i is mighty quick - this is coming from someone with M340i xDrive. I always get a 330i as a loaner during service appointments - and every time, I'm impressed by the handling and performance. But if you need more power/performance and are willing to spend more to get the M340i you won't regret it either.

At any rate I'd be sure to get one with all (or most) of the options you're interested in.
Appreciate 2