BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Next set of tires: MPS4 or MPSAS4

05-01-2024, 05:51 PM   #1
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Next set of tires: MPS4 or MPSAS4

The F90 I got came with P Zeros. I cannot express how much I dislike these tires in cool weather (never mind cold weather). I am very much looking forward to replacing these.

I was all but convinced that I would go with MPS4's (or whatever the latest model is), but I am starting to wonder if I really need an UHP summer tire. I have winter performance tires for winter, but the shoulder seasons can be a PITA. Multiple weeks a year you have morning temps in the 30's that warm up to the 50's or above.

The P Zeros are hot garbage below 50F unless you warm them up for a while and downright dangerous below 35F. They also don't seem comfortable.

What are your experiences with MPS4's compared to the MPS all season 4's? How do they compare comfort-wise? I drive the M5 spiritedly but it will never see the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 08:51 PM   #2
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The F90 I got came with P Zeros. I cannot express how much I dislike these tires in cool weather (never mind cold weather). I am very much looking forward to replacing these.

I was all but convinced that I would go with MPS4's (or whatever the latest model is), but I am starting to wonder if I really need an UHP summer tire. I have winter performance tires for winter, but the shoulder seasons can be a PITA. Multiple weeks a year you have morning temps in the 30's that warm up to the 50's or above.

The P Zeros are hot garbage below 50F unless you warm them up for a while and downright dangerous below 35F. They also don't seem comfortable.

What are your experiences with MPS4's compared to the MPS all season 4's? How do they compare comfort-wise? I drive the M5 spiritedly but it will never see the track.
MPS4s have similar temperature restrictions as P Zeros. They are summer tires and shouldn’t be used below 50 degrees.

My car also came with PZeros. Winter tires were unavailable in the entire country at that time so I went with MPS4-AS and have been switching bi-annually since then. In NJ weather all seasons work perfectly even when there is some snow on the ground, and they are great for transitional months. They do offer a lot more grip than PZeros, and are a lot quieter too. I really like them.

Last year right before I was about to make the switch to my winter setup (AS) one of the rear PZeros caught a nail. Instead of patching I am replacing them with MPS4s for my summer setup. They are currently on order with Costco (BMW star rated) and I should have them installed in a few days. Will share my impressions as compared to all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:02 PM   #3
mcarter0519
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey M5 Comp

My car also came with PZeros and everything said here about them is accurate by my experience. I actually have Michelin PS AS4’s on order and should arrive tomorrow. I live in Atlanta, so moderate weather year round with the occasional cold snaps. I could not wait to get back into Michelins. I’ve had the AS4’s on my previous 535 and 550 and have been very impressed with their overall performance and longevity. I, too, like to drive spiritedly at times and these hold up very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:28 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have PS4 summer, AS4 all season, and PA4 snows all on wheels for my 2018 M5. I really like the PS4 and by most accounts they are superior to the Pirellis BMW put on some of these cars. They do lose suppleness and ride harder and louder as they get old and worn, and they lose traction more easily in cold weather — 40F.

I ran the PA4 the first winter I had the car but did not like the handling and the car got pretty sideways a few times under hard acceleration around a curve. Definitely snows are the best in snows, though, so if you must travel in snowy winter conditions they are what you need.

I bought the AS4 all seasons mainly for late fall and early spring because I dislike the handling of the snows so much. But it was not that snowy so I left them in for winter. We did get snow and the AS4 were great. Not as good as snows but I drove everywhere I needed. I live in southern NH. Left them on last winter was well and liked them just as much. The picture is with the AS4 — no problem with this AWD car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5299.00
      05-02-2024, 12:01 AM   #5
bxdinster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 comp 2009 135i

i use ps4s all year round. mine came with pirellis they sucked were very good for drifting though. Ps4s 50 degree and above best tire money can buy. Below 50 they were fine but only offered 2/3 the perfomance.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:58 PM   #6
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I've had PS2's and several PSS sets in the past (and even UHP Contis) and never had anywhere as negative an experience in the cold as I do with the P-Zeros. And that applies to the P-Zeros that came with my new 718.

Anyone have any input on whether the All-Season Pilot 4's are more comfortable than the PS4's?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:06 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The AS4 are a little louder than the PS4. I think they are comfortable but maybe not quite as comfortable,

The PS4 are fine in rain. They are useless in snow and merely acceptable in near freezing weather. But while the AS4 handle well for all seasons, the PS4 are superior. I look forward to using the PS4 from April through October.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:22 PM   #8
ltlftc77
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

I finally got rid of the PZero tires at 14k miles and I’m so glad. The PS4* so far has been amazing but the temp has been >40F since they were put on so no negative experience with cold temps... yet. These tires have been like an amusement park roller coaster on rails and won’t break free on my spirited A-to-B early morning commute. They do however pick up every loose stone and throw them into my wheel well once they warm up. The price of sticky. But make sure you get the PILOT SPORT 4 ★ . This is the one that Michelin created with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 08:43 PM   #9
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I had Pirelli and figured I would try AS4 all season and after 3,000 miles I returned them for a full refund and Michelin took them back.

I went with PS4s.

AS4 issues turned the M5 into a pedestrian camry like drive experience.

1) Steering was not direct w/ AS4 and noticed it immediate difference with car after they put on new summer PS4 in a parking lot; never mind high speed cornering.

2) Brakes on M5 are greater than capabilities of the AS4.

3) Car was twitchy coming of highway to a straight ramp at high speeds.

4) Cornering was noticeable with more roll.

No tracking just noticed they changed entire drive experience for the worst and it is noticeable if you are in tune with your car.

I gave them 3,000 plus miles and had them changed.

I will say grip of AS4 off the line and rain were very good.

Bottom line I live in Northeast and went to PS4 all year around. No issues in sub 40 degree weather or at freezing temperatures the all wheel drive is great.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:07 PM   #10
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Great feedback, everyone. Thanks! I’ll go with MPS4 for the next set.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 07:25 AM   #11
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

^Great choice, they are great tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:38 PM   #12
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I got my PS4s installed earlier this week, and was able to stress-test them a bit today

They offer very confident road grip, similar to MPS4-AS, with better dynamic performance that reminded me of summer Pirelllis, but better. The only negative is their ability to attract every single pebble on the road at slow speeds. Cornering ability is also excellent.

They are definitely superior to both AS and Pirellis in this weather.
Appreciate 1
FC249.50
      05-10-2024, 10:55 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have R compound tires on another car, Toyo RA1 (100 treadwear), that pick up way more debris than the Michelin PS4 (300 treadwear). The PS4 are very civilized performance street tires that are good in rain and useable down to freezing temperatures. Incredible all around tire with good wear characteristics and great performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 07:42 AM   #14
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I'm enjoying the heck out of my PS4S after driving PSAS4 all winter and the Pzeros last summer. So much better braking and can carry a lot more speed in the turns and get on the throttle more in the turns. And unlike the Pzeros when driving in a monsoon I don't feel like I'm on ice.
Appreciate 1
FC249.50