BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 COMPETITION PACKAGE Details and Price Confirmed (Australia)

03-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi All,

Yes I ordered a competition package F90 M5 last month, yes the build date was confirmed by Munich over the phone. Yes I have a delivery estimate. Read on.

I've purchased quite a few M cars in the last couple years from a BMW owned factory dealership, which means that it's not a dealership owned by a sub company like Trivett here in Australia, BMW group themselves own and run the dealership. They have direct contact with the guys in Munich and after shopping around a few dealers before making a order they were the only ones to have any information on the comp pack.

Now let's get started; Australia will only see the comp pack for orders now on. The first and launch edition is sold / already allocated.

The price of the comp pack in Australia is $20k. Including the following;
  • B&W Hifi standard
  • Carbon fibre engine cover standard (two parts over the engine and charge air coolers at the front of the engine)
  • Suspension is lower -7 / 10mm front and rear
  • Usual black grills badges side vents etc
  • 460kw (616hp) torque not confirmed
  • Competition Package specific exhaust tuning same as latest M3 comp pack, cracks burbles on the over run.
  • Sports exhaust standard on top of tuning
The full information is going to dealers in the April bulletin. With only some of the information was given to me as it was directly effecting my order. E.g I was about to pay for the B&O twice.

My build will be in July this year delivery the last week of September. Australia has 20 cars allocated.

I have the order form, Australian options list with pricing if anyone wants to PM me. (Comp pack isn't on the options list yet, before anyone asks)

-ljb

Last edited by ljb; 03-22-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 10
esquire477.50
Hedoniste3770.50
mstmng141.00
CruzM3284.00
dzu118.50
Simple1133.50
Soul_Glo13293.00
      03-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Excellent info. Lot of questions here.

No exhaust included ? Nothing about CCB's being mandatory or optional ?

Do you know if July is the First dates that they will begin production on the competition package?

Can you give us any info on how your dealer learned of this information? And separately, how your dealer was able to contact BMW to place this order?

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 1
ljb203.50
      03-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Based on those mods,...if true,...I think guys will turn to Steve Dinan and look to get a bigger 'bang' for their $20k. Case in point, a "CF" engine cover won't do jack for performance!
      03-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Based on those mods,...if true,...I think guys will turn to Steve Dinan and look to get a bigger 'bang' for their $20k. Case in point, a "CF" engine cover won't do jack for performance!
Australia charges much more than the US. The $20,000 he mentions will be significantly reduced when it comes to United States pricing.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Why does the comp pack include a speaker sound upgrade? Maybe so they can pump more fake engine noises in to make it louder than it is, since no comp exhaust?
Appreciate 10
raysspl991.50
Bobby P88.50
termigni1080.00
RPiM52855.50
SDPLV493.00
domd81779.00
Simple1133.50
      03-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Do you know if July is the First dates that they will begin production on the competition package?

Can you give us any info on how your dealer learned of this information? And separately, how your dealer was able to contact BMW to place this order?
Australian cars come with a high spec due to our extremely high tax. BMW like to throw in a few goodies to sweeten deals;

The exhaust I can't comment on to much as a global production car, sports exhaust will be standard here in Australia. Although, The comp pack will be tuned like the M3 LCI 2. More cracks and pops on the over run etc.
You won't be seeing a full titanium system if that's among the dream list.

I didn't get any information on the CCB as muchas I tried. I count 12k of options included, leaving 8k for CCB to possibly be in there too.

July is the first builds for Australia, which more then likely indicates globally.

My dealership is owned and run by BMW themselves. It's what BMW call a factory dealership. This dealership is the second largest BMW funded investment outside BMW Welt.
The dealer principal called Munich In front of me while placing the order.

Last edited by ljb; 03-22-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
Quote:

Australian cars come with a high spec due to our extremely high tax. BMW like to throw in a few goodies to sweeten deals;

The exhaust I can't comment on to much as a global production car, sports exhaust will be standard here in Australia. Although, The comp pack will be tuned like the M3 LCI 2. More cracks and pops on the over run etc.

I didn't get any information on the CCB as much as I tried, given what I've been told is included for 20k I would expect that in the package to be mandatory. I count 12k of options included, leaving 8k for a CCB to be in there too.

July is the first builds for Australia, which more then likely indicates globally.

My dealership is owned and run by BMW themselves. It's what BMW call a factory dealership. This dealership is the second largest BMW funded investment outside BMW Welt.
Just called my dealership and told them push me to July production!!!!

Past:
2019 M5 Comp
2015 M4
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
ljb
Rep

Quote:
The car does have extra performance and suspension upgrades? 20k (Australian Dollars) gets you added options including carbon engine cover and upgraded audio
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Why does the comp pack include a speaker sound upgrade? Maybe so they can pump more fake engine noises in to make it louder than it is, since no comp exhaust?
I guess would you prefer paying extra for a comp pack and upgraded audio. Or would you be happy to know it's included in the pack?
Appreciate 3
      03-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
Quote:

I didn't get any information on the CCB as much as I tried, given what I've been told is included for 20k I would expect that in the package to be mandatory. I count 12k of options included, leaving 8k for a CCB to be in there too.

Just called my dealership and told them push me to July production!!!!
Congrats!

What was the response?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Seriously doubt this the spec of the US Comp package. Doesn’t fit BMWs MO.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #12
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFT33 View Post
Seriously doubt this the spec of the US Comp package. DoesnÂ’t fit BMWs MO.
I believe you are correct, the Australian spec and US spec will differ.

Obviously everything apart from the included options will be identical.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #13
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Australia charges much more than the US. The $20,000 he mentions will be significantly reduced when it comes to United States pricing.
Yeah that's why I asked him in another thread, how much was the CP package for the F10? If priced similar to F90 then it won't include the ceramics.

The F10 M5 that I have in Taiwan cost me 300k USD. The CP itself is 20k and doesn't have CCBs, which was another 20k.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:33 AM   #14
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

If this is what is in store for the US, it's right in line with previous CP offerings past years (M3, M5, M6, etc)

As well, based on AUD, I think this would put it at just under $10k USD.

Sport exhaust, but no MSport exhaust, suspension, perhaps different wheels, bit more power and some extra bits here and there.

Essentially, very little extra cost for BMW beyond simple R&D, and a $10k price to the customer.

Gross margin, anyone???
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #15
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

You are going to get virtually exactly the same package they offered on the F10. HP bump, revised suspension, wheels, minor cosmetic changes. CCBs are way too expensive to put in a package.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #16
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
If this is what is in store for the US, it's right in line with previous CP offerings past years (M3, M5, M6, etc)

As well, based on AUD, I think this would put it at just under $10k USD.

Sport exhaust, but no MSport exhaust, suspension, perhaps different wheels, bit more power and some extra bits here and there.

Essentially, very little extra cost for BMW beyond simple R&D, and a $10k price to the customer.

Gross margin, anyone???
You hit on the point on why I don't think CCBs will be part of the CP package simply because CP is a great money maker for BMW, a little SW tune and some cheap suspension upgrades and they charge $$$$ for it. But if BMW include CCBs, it will make the package too expensive for most buyers and they will likely bypass the package and in turn BMW will miss out making some easy money.

CCBs aren't part of CPs in the past and I don't see why BMW would start now.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:00 AM   #17
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
You hit on the point on why I don't think CCBs will be part of the CP package simply because CP is a great money maker for BMW, a little SW tune and some cheap suspension upgrades and they charge $$$$ for it. But if BMW include CCBs, it will make the package too expensive for most buyers and they will likely bypass the package and in turn BMW will miss out making some easy money.

CCBs aren't part of CPs in the past and I don't see why BMW would start now.
Now, here's an interesting question.... how about a CP+ (CS?) package that includes all of this, 10 more hp beyond CP, plus CCB and MSport exhaust for $20k or $25k.

That would be something new and also a big money maker. Throw in some CP+ exclusive paint options, CP+ wheels, some other "zero additional cost" items to BMW for market appeal.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's why I asked him in another thread, how much was the CP package for the F10? If priced similar to F90 then it won't include the ceramics.

The F10 M5 that I have in Taiwan cost me 300k USD. The CP itself is 20k and doesn't have CCBs, which was another 20k.
Unfortunately I can not comment or make comparison as the comp pack was standard on models of the f10 LCI in Australia.

The only comparison I can make is it is four times as much as a comp pack option of a m3 when I purchased my first in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #19
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Now, here's an interesting question.... how about a CP+ (CS?) package that includes all of this, 10 more hp beyond CP, plus CCB and MSport exhaust for $20k or $25k.

That would be something new and also a big money maker. Throw in some CP+ exclusive paint options, CP+ wheels, some other "zero additional cost" items to BMW for market appeal.
Actually in another thread long ago some of us have talked about this. That the only way CCBs are part of CP is if BMW wants to create a different level of M5 like Audi did with RS7 and RS7 performance.

RS7 Performance model has more power, upgraded suspension, and ceramics standard, and it's not an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #21
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

That's price tag
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Any reasons as to why you didn't bother to include CCBs?