BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    RB Performance Brakes brake pads - DON'T GET THEM!

02-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

RB Performance Brakes brake pads - DON'T GET THEM!

Hi all,

I don't like to make this post and seldom do, but after what happened I feel I need to.

I bought my car recently with ~28k miles on clock. It had CCBs - when we bought the car, the rotors were completely fine, but we later found out that pads were completely toast. No matter I thought, let me get some good aftermarket pads. These were not so easy to find as most aftermarket pads are for the steel brakes. Seldom for CCBs. I found RB Performance Brakes make both rotors & the pads. After reaching out to them and confirming several time the fitmet to my OEM calipers I pulled the trigger paying ~1k USD in total incl. shipping.

During install, shop called me and said the rear pads have different shape completely - will fit, but are smaller so will not be good for performance. Both fronts and rears were also 1-2mm too tall and would rub the discs if installed messing up the rotors. I reached out to RB and was told that 2017 rear brakes are different and are same as on F10 car. I was baffled by this as my car is 4/2018. They asked me for pictures of fronts (to what end I don't know). I have to give them credit for prompt response, but the info didn't make sense and now I'm 5 days without a reply.

My front pads were bad so yesterday I decided to machine the RB pads a bit and put them in. Mistake #2. When leaving the shop, I thought the mechanic forgot to titghen some screw or something as there was loud audible noise from front left (primarily) section of the car anytime car went over even the smallest of road imperfections or the road started being not perfectly flat. I went back to shop to ask about this, we did a test drive and the summary is the brake pads are so loose that they hit the caliper all the time and make this very audible noise. I understand race brakes are usually a bit smaller as they expand when heated, but this is another level honestly. It makes it sound like driving a 30 year old civic . Shims could help but also RB doesn't recommend them and I'd have to source them now.

That and, of course, they squeak like crazy. On this Ill have to wait if they settle, but overall this has been a complete disaster and I honestly wish I went with OEM pads. I'm now waiting for a response from RB and will give credit where its due, but wanted to share so that you don't make the same mistake in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:48 AM   #2
Archan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Man, what a shit show:-(
I'd get OEM pads at this point and call it a day.
Hope it gets sorted and that RB owns up to the mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #3
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Having used RB's pads on my GT-R and on my F90 M5 with metals, I'm a little disappointed.

Regarding the rear brakes, the pad size is different. But I must tell you, that RB's pads for the rears outlast the M performance pads the M5 comes with in metal brakes. The carbon ceramic compound is good on metal, I haven't tried them on my CCB's (I have a CS now)

Regarding the fronts, I have used the exact same pad on the M5 fronts with metal. They fit fine and did not clatter on the metal brakes. I can say they have more material on them than the OEM's. I had to move the pistons to the absolute seat to get them to slide in.

I have not tried any of those pads on my CCB's so far. I barely have 2500 miles on my CS. These have been on my radar to use, however, since the OEM's are SO expensive. The slightly smaller rear is so minimally different that I'm not worried about those, but your concerns about the front are very serious.

Get in touch with RB ASAP. They are known for correcting boo boos with good haste.

Shawn
Appreciate 0