01-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Private Coaching

Has anyone done the Private coaching BMW offers?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 07:09 PM   #2
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
you mean with the so-called "Geniuses"
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50
      01-08-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I love their life coaches!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50
      01-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

There. Their. They're.

Tsk Tsk.

LOL

What the hell is Private Coaching? Is that a variation of a ride with Uber Black? M-Lyft?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, I should have put BMW performance center private coaching.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:38 PM   #6
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Sorry, I should have put BMW performance center private coaching.
Yes I have
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Yes I have
How was it? Do you recommend it? How was the agenda created?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #8
Revan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

I'm interested as well. Called PC last week for same thing and was told someone needs to call me back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:04 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How was it? Do you recommend it? How was the agenda created?
100% recommend, as far as the agenda you tell them what you want to do. For example I mainly wanted to work on drifting so that's what we did, and when the skid pad wasn't available for short periods because of another school running we went in track to do some laps. If you're looking for track time definitely go to the thermal one, since they have an actual race track.
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00
      01-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #10
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
100% recommend, as far as the agenda you tell them what you want to do. For example I mainly wanted to work on drifting so that's what we did, and when the skid pad wasn't available for short periods because of another school running we went in track to do some laps. If you're looking for track time definitely go to the thermal one, since they have an actual race track.
When you went to the track, how were they reviewing you, and giving you guidance? Did they use telemetry, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:56 PM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When you went to the track, how were they reviewing you, and giving you guidance? Did they use telemetry, etc.?
No telemetry, if you're good enough they'll ride in the car with you (by good enough I mean if you don't make them sick after 2 laps) but they'll start off with you following them and having them show you the line and stuff then switch with you in front them in the back and they'll tell you what you're doing wrong or right in real time via radio. If you're pretty much getting everything right in terms of braking turn in apex etc you'll basically be enjoying a bunch of laps on the track, otherwise they'll have you slow down the pace and really work on getting the timing and positioning on the track right. Now here's the thing every instructor is different, and everyone has a different line to a certain extent. So you might find someone that tells you to drive completely opposite of what you're used to. And that's not a bad thing, it gets you out of your habits and then you can piece together what you like and make your own line eventually. As far as telemetry you can always bring your own, including cameras so you can see how close or far you are from hitting an apex and stuff if you want (so you're not starting at your mirrors and looking where you need to go)
Appreciate 3
PDOT133.00
willyp158.50
      01-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
There. Their. They're.

Tsk Tsk.

LOL

What the hell is Private Coaching? Is that a variation of a ride with Uber Black? M-Lyft?

Mike
Noooooo. Not my fault! Damn app auto corrects. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 09:22 AM   #13
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I know this is an old thread but I got back from doing 2 days of private instruction at thermal last week. Last summer I did the 2 day M school which was a ton of fun but I felt like I didn't improve much. The private instruction was hugely valuable to me. I had way more track time than the school and really felt like I got better at everything. I drove an M5 about 90% of the time and the M3 as well for comparison. When I did the skid pad in the M school I didn't like it at all. When I did it with private instruction I got enough practice in the M3 and M5 to really like it a feel good at it. The rest of the time was spent lapping the green course.

When you sign up you say what you want to work on and they tailor the lesson to you and your skills/progress. In the class everyone is on the same learning pace so if you need more or less work on something you still have to move at the class pace. If you have never done any driving schools I don't think starting with private would be the right idea since you won't know where you need/want to focus.

I know there are other options beside the BMW school, but I really wanted to drive "my" car and learn it's limits. It was fun to compare the M3 (RWD) and M5 (AWD) as well. I found that I like the "Sport" steering setting on the track better than "comfort" even though it does fatigue your arms a bit more. It helped me be smoother and more progressive on turn in.

Now I really want to take my car to VIR.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2024, 12:44 PM   #14
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I know this is an old thread but I got back from doing 2 days of private instruction at thermal last week. Last summer I did the 2 day M school which was a ton of fun but I felt like I didn't improve much. The private instruction was hugely valuable to me. I had way more track time than the school and really felt like I got better at everything. I drove an M5 about 90% of the time and the M3 as well for comparison. When I did the skid pad in the M school I didn't like it at all. When I did it with private instruction I got enough practice in the M3 and M5 to really like it a feel good at it. The rest of the time was spent lapping the green course.

When you sign up you say what you want to work on and they tailor the lesson to you and your skills/progress. In the class everyone is on the same learning pace so if you need more or less work on something you still have to move at the class pace. If you have never done any driving schools I don't think starting with private would be the right idea since you won't know where you need/want to focus.

I know there are other options beside the BMW school, but I really wanted to drive "my" car and learn it's limits. It was fun to compare the M3 (RWD) and M5 (AWD) as well. I found that I like the "Sport" steering setting on the track better than "comfort" even though it does fatigue your arms a bit more. It helped me be smoother and more progressive on turn in.

Now I really want to take my car to VIR.
How many hours did you do each day? What's the rate now?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #15
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
How many hours did you do each day? What's the rate now?
Also to piggyback on PDOT’s question — which place did you go. Thermal or Spartanburg? pmsteinm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 02:12 PM   #16
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thermal even though I live in NC.

I did 5 hrs on day 1 and 4 on day 2. The rates are actually on their website now and where 650 for first 2 and 500 after per day. So a little more than the Advanced M school but way more seat time.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 03:37 PM   #17
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How did the car hold up during these sessions? HPDE sessions are roughly 20 minutes and the car can be cooked afterwards.

Also, do you get to pick the instructor?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:03 PM   #18
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I had a new M5 (1400 mi) and the same M5 (9500 mi) I had last year after I had to swap because the pads hit their wear mark on the first day. The new one was fine and the old one got a little over the normal oil temp mark. It was in the low 70s outside. Last year the car would do limp mode if you didn't short shift but it was 125 outside and the radiator fins are all flattened from track debris.

Keep in mind I was in mostly clear air and on the track section I was on I only got up to ~115mph. There is a lot of braking on the track and every so often he would have me do a cooldown lap for the brakes but they never felt different so I think we were just being cautious. My instructor was teaching me more of a race pace instead of qualifying pace. At the pace I was doing it was fun and I had to pay attention but it wasn't stressful on me or the car.

I was told I had a good pace but I also know I wasn't using all the car had coming out of most turns. But my goal was staying on line and getting smooth on brake and steering inputs because I had some bad habits there.

It was interesting after taking a break to see the front tires get to 180 degrees from the heat coming off the rotors. When I went back out they started to cool off after a lap. It really made me appreciate how bad heat soak can be.

You can request a specific instructor but I didn't have a preference. I think it is good to get different instructors because everyone has their own style and it is good to learn them all so you can find what works for you and your car.

I choose Thermal last year because it was the earliest available M school slot. I went back this year because I really like the facility and heard the track is better than SC.

I didn't occur to me until I got in my car on the way home I should have enabled the M lap timer to track my progress. Oh well. Next time. I want to go back again but need to work on getting approval. The way might be to say "I can go back there and use their car, or take my car to VIR..."
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00
      02-26-2024, 10:17 PM   #19
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I had a new M5 (1400 mi) and the same M5 (9500 mi) I had last year after I had to swap because the pads hit their wear mark on the first day. The new one was fine and the old one got a little over the normal oil temp mark. It was in the low 70s outside. Last year the car would do limp mode if you didn't short shift but it was 125 outside and the radiator fins are all flattened from track debris.

Keep in mind I was in mostly clear air and on the track section I was on I only got up to ~115mph. There is a lot of braking on the track and every so often he would have me do a cooldown lap for the brakes but they never felt different so I think we were just being cautious. My instructor was teaching me more of a race pace instead of qualifying pace. At the pace I was doing it was fun and I had to pay attention but it wasn't stressful on me or the car.

I was told I had a good pace but I also know I wasn't using all the car had coming out of most turns. But my goal was staying on line and getting smooth on brake and steering inputs because I had some bad habits there.

It was interesting after taking a break to see the front tires get to 180 degrees from the heat coming off the rotors. When I went back out they started to cool off after a lap. It really made me appreciate how bad heat soak can be.

You can request a specific instructor but I didn't have a preference. I think it is good to get different instructors because everyone has their own style and it is good to learn them all so you can find what works for you and your car.

I choose Thermal last year because it was the earliest available M school slot. I went back this year because I really like the facility and heard the track is better than SC.

I didn't occur to me until I got in my car on the way home I should have enabled the M lap timer to track my progress. Oh well. Next time. I want to go back again but need to work on getting approval. The way might be to say "I can go back there and use their car, or take my car to VIR..."
I think that is my fear of using their instructors. I don't need to be patted on the back; if I suck as something let me know.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2024, 06:29 AM   #20
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
In the beginning I was getting lots of feedback and corrections. By the end I was getting approval and the occasional minor nit which he would even say is minor. I was very happy with the amount of feedback and the pushing me to do better.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:18 AM   #21
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Yes, went last Friday actually. Im only a couple hours from the SC location and have been there probably 10 times now for various schools, PCD, and new car experience...

Like everyone else said you pick the cars and program. I already had an instructor in mind and he helped facilitate it, finding some track time was a bit difficult, I had been trying to set it up since last fall. They can only book a couple weeks in advance so once I was offered a couple dates I accepted, I think I was actually offered it the week of, on monday and I booked it for Friday.

The agenda was designed per my requests. I just picked up an M3 CS and am having a real hard time learning that cars limits... I spent a lot of my time in the M3 (they didnt have a CS, no surprise there.) A lot of time on the skid pad and then two autocross circuits. Did 4 hours, which was honestly maybe an hour too much. Definitely a lot more seat time than the 2 day M school, or anything else I have done. I drove so hard I got myself a little sick but powered through it. They timed my laps so I was able to try and improve on hitting Apexs, braking zones, and carrying more speed out of the corners. Constant feedback from Andy my instructor about where to improve as well as demo laps before and during if desired. Its really done to be whatever you want...

Interesting little tidbits, last time I was there I had the M5 tire at 165 degrees after 4 or 5 autocross laps, which kinda blew my mind as I dont think I have ever seen mine over 130. This time I had them up to about 210 after several laps, maybe 10 laps... A couple of the instructors said at lunch they'll get up into the 240s at times. I found the M5 to be a lot easier to drift (which surprised me) and was able to hold that drift for a lap around the skid pad, obviously still no where near Matts record drift LOL. I also went through a full tank of gas in the M3 that day.

Overall it was fun and I would highly recommend but tbh tracking your car has a lot of upside and probably more actual track experience if you are willing to risk it and absorb that wear and tear on your car. I did VIR a few years back in the e92 m3 and learned a lot there as well. Its a lot different pace though tbh and at the VIR day its balls to the wall the whole time, there is no taking a break or letting your mind rest for a second, get off the track to do that...

I do drive pretty hard and did notice the performance on the car would diminish after 5-10 laps but I just rotated between the two cars. They all have carbon ceramics so there was no brake fade that I noticed and cars never went into limp/cool down mode like I experienced in the F10 in July during an M school.
      03-10-2024, 08:55 PM   #22
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I'll coach you - what do you need to know. What are you paying
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0