E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW is asking how: Cigarette lighter to remain live.

12-03-2005, 01:36 AM   #23
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
did you not try pushing the start/stop button twice?? do not step on clutch for manual or brake for auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #24
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer
Maybe I wasn't clear -- yes, I was, but that's not the issue. BMW just called and wondered if I could check the internet to tell them how to keep the cigarette lighter operable when the car is turned off and the keys are out. I asked them if that was an option, because sometimes I like to charge my phone in the car while the car's turned off.
Other BMW's I have driven keep the socket active when the car's off.
They're working on my software update as I write this, and if anyone knows of the lighter solution and can respond quickly so I can let them know, I'd appreciate it.
p.s. service adviser said he spoke to the tech who had no idea what to do about that.
BMW called you? to check the internet to answer a tech question?
am i crazy, or does anyone else not get this?

the people that created the car (BMW) are seeking answers on the internet, through you, on how to fix something on their car.

i had to repeat/restate my self because this looks/sounds sooooo out of whack.

i'm going to go chug 8 beers and come back and read your post again. maybe it will make sense then.

frog
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #25
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Well, given your writing sample, I can see how your dealership might be confused...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
Scott Carpenter
BMW Employee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Garage List
You should have listened to longtran, and you should not charge your phone using the lighter away, BMW says thats a no no. There is a light in your glove box, go to your BMW dealership and buy the part to plug your cell phone into that light scoket in the glove box. There problem solved
      12-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #27
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafrog
am i crazy, or does anyone else not get this?

the people that created the car (BMW) are seeking answers on the internet, through you, on how to fix something on their car.

i had to repeat/restate my self because this looks/sounds sooooo out of whack.

i'm going to go chug 8 beers and come back and read your post again. maybe it will make sense then.

frog

LOL ...!

He must think BMW = Dealer. BMW doesnt own dealers. So BMW didn't call him.

Schweitzer, you confused alot of here because your not following chronological order when u speak. Plus, the fact you mentioned BMW (which is in Germany) called you.

Correct post:
"Dealer is uncertain how to code the lighter socket to remain live while car is off... any Help Here ?"

-Garrett

(PS: Did you try the start/Stop button trick...?)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #28
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

People are being too literal around here.
While not perfect, his post was not that confusing.

I myself, owner of 4 different BMW's, is suprised that the lighter socket does not stay on all the time in the E90. Had an E30, 2 E36's and now an E53, all with full time lighter power. Bad choice for BMW to change that IMO. I've never drained a battery charging my phone with it, even overnight.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #29
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
The dealer, my service adviser, called me to check the BMW forums to see if there was any specifics on it.
This is my first BMW, and until this thread, I didn't know the proper nomenclature for BMW = Germany, and DEALER = BMW dealer.
I should have thought out my post better and been more specific, but when they called asking, they already had my car in for the software update, and it was getting later in the afternoon. I was under the gun timewise looking for a quick answer, hoping I might get my car back....which didn't happen since my car won't accept the update...different thread, not so confusing.
From Tape's reply, this may be a moot issue anyway, because I didn't know BMW discouraged charging the phone w/ the cigarette lighter. I always thought it didn't matter and is so convenient.
Anyhow, thanks for the responses, and yes, you guys are a tough crowd, but this is a great forum, and I have learned so much about my great car here from this board.....even about my writing style. lol
      12-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #30
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

kewl ..!

Though, does all of your lighters not work, or only the one in the middle counsol.. ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #31
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
does all of your lighters not work, or only the one in the middle counsol.. ?
All the sockets turn off when the power is off.
I haven't been able to try the start/stop button because I don't have my car back.....and probably won't for several more days due to the update problem.
      12-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #32
aimare4losers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: silver

ok i think this MIGHT work...since the power wire for your ciggarette lighter socket is a switched accessories 12volt source right..maybe you can take out that power wire and connect it to a continuous 12 volt source. the ciggarette socket inside your arm rest battery wire can be easily accessed by pulling out the rear console in front of the rear seats. just get a good grip and pull. the power wire is the red wire plugged into that clear adapter next to another brown wire. the wire coming out of the adapter is the power source.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #33
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimare4losers
ok i think this MIGHT work...since the power wire for your ciggarette lighter socket is a switched accessories 12volt source right..maybe you can take out that power wire and connect it to a continuous 12 volt source. the ciggarette socket inside your arm rest battery wire can be easily accessed by pulling out the rear console in front of the rear seats. just get a good grip and pull. the power wire is the red wire plugged into that clear adapter next to another brown wire. the wire coming out of the adapter is the power source.
Ya disconnect the original power input, tap into a continuous source... Finding the continous source would be the difficult part. I cannot think of any continuous source at the moment that could be tapped into easily. Perhaps the light switch at the first on position (one click to the right from off). I know that doesn't turn off even if your car is off and locked. I would imagine if you want to be adventurous, you could tie into the battery directly with a fuse connected. I doubt there are any "software updates" that can present a solution for you, but you never know. After all, when I had the aftermarket standalone ECU, you can re-program any button on the car to do whatever you want. Lock can be unlock, window up can be windown down, volume button can become windshield wiper controller. I made my Sevice Engine Soon light into a shift light.