BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Owning a M5 in the U.K. (speed limits etc)

07-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #45
RalphT5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Awesome color combo! BMW greens over tartufo are my favorite non monochrome M5 colors. Can't wait to see photos! SRG has so many different tones and intensity in different lighting.
It's sitting on the dock in Bremerhaven and "should" be here in September. Once it shows up, I'll post some photos!
      07-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #46
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbutler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Is this in the EVO triangle ?
I thought the EVO Triangle was in Wales?
The NC 500 is in Scotland and covers 500 miles of amazing driving roads.
I've booked a staycation in Elgin this summer, so will definitely be trying out this spectacular run. Thanks for posting those tremendous pics.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #47
rabbutler
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
The NC 500 as it implies is 500 miles, mostly country secluded roads, passing through a number of small towns and villages round the entire coast of Scotland. Normally the route would be planned over 4 or 5 days stopping at various hotels or bed & Breakfast establishment along the way. There are quite a number of guides now that can be used to mark out your route on places to see, visit and stay. But we were in a little bit of a rush, we left Aberdeen 12:00 Friday afternoon and were back in Aberdeen by 14:00 on Saturday afternoon, didn't get a chance to do much sight seeing
Have attached a couple more pictures of the scenery along the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Alberta2045.50
DavidXJ664.50
      07-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #48
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbutler View Post
The NC 500 as it implies is 500 miles, mostly country secluded roads, passing through a number of small towns and villages round the entire coast of Scotland. Normally the route would be planned over 4 or 5 days stopping at various hotels or bed & Breakfast establishment along the way. There are quite a number of guides now that can be used to mark out your route on places to see, visit and stay. But we were in a little bit of a rush, we left Aberdeen 12:00 Friday afternoon and were back in Aberdeen by 14:00 on Saturday afternoon, didn't get a chance to do much sight seeing
Have attached a couple more pictures of the scenery along the way.
Wow, this is awesome!

I want to go and experience those roads - with amazing scenery.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #49
rabbutler
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Wow, this is awesome!

I want to go and experience those roads - with amazing scenery.
You really do need to take a few days so you can stop at various location's along the route, and enjoy the scenery, some of it looks like middle earth from Lord of the Rings
Appreciate 1
Alberta2045.50
      07-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #50
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
For those of you who own a M5 in the U.K.
I was wondering how you find ownership of the car with all of the speed limits/ speed cameras etc in the country.
I own a 540 and even with that find it frustrating that I can't use it (legally) to its specifications , a reason I've thought a 550 would just be more frustrating to me.

How do you find ownership as regards this aspect?
Yes, but:
-A romp to 60 is pretty fun/exhilarating
-The fact you could throw a M5 through a roundabout and pull over 1G laterally with the utmost precision and control is very confidence building and exhilarating
-The fact this car can stop from 60+ on par with other super cars provides an element of safety and confidence not found in other sedans.
-The ability to pass very quickly on 2 lane roads provides safety as well.

The fact the car was designed to do so much from a capability standpoint means that it isn't working very hard in normal conditions. In terms of reliability of equipment and mechanical systems, more headroom/less duty cycle equals more longevity.

It is a brilliant car!
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #51
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzl1nz00 View Post
Quote:
I was wondering how you find ownership of the car with all of the speed limits/ speed cameras etc in the country.
I own a 540 and even with that find it frustrating that I can't use it (legally) to its specifications , a reason I've thought a 550 would just be more frustrating to me.

Yes, but:
-A romp to 60 is pretty fun/exhilarating
-The fact you could throw a M5 through a roundabout and pull over 1G laterally with the utmost precision and control is very confidence building and exhilarating
-The fact this car can stop from 60+ on par with other super cars provides an element of safety and confidence not found in other sedans.
-The ability to pass very quickly on 2 lane roads provides safety as well.

The fact the car was designed to do so much from a capability standpoint means that it isn't working very hard in normal conditions. In terms of reliability of equipment and mechanical systems, more headroom/less duty cycle equals more longevity.

It is a brilliant car!
Many more good points made!
      07-25-2022, 01:38 AM   #52
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

I think if you are asking the question then maybe a 540 is the sweet spot for you.
I've had my M5 for nearly 3 years and 30k leisure miles.
It is a car that is difficult to stretch its legs but when you can its an amazing car.
Sure its weight and long wheelbase means its never going to be as agile in tight turns as a lightweight shorter wheelbase sports car. But in medium to fast turns its insane how much speed you can take through a bend.
When I first got it...I thought 600+bhp was going to be more than enough for UK roads...now I think a few more wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 07-25-2022 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 4
snowbimmer5326.00
JOHNBMWM51992.50
DavidXJ664.50