BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Issue with Dinan Turbo Inlets according to BMW

02-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

Issue with Dinan Turbo Inlets according to BMW

2019 BMW M5 Competition.

I had my check engine light go off recently. As the car is still under warranty, I brought it to BMW. And, just like clockwork, the check engine light went off as I was pulling into the dealership....go figure; nevertheless, they decided to look at anyways as it's under warranty.

They are claiming that the check engine light is likely due to leaky turbo inlets from Dinan. Take a look at the video below and let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your help.

https://www.mkvwa38.com/p/5GBqC1.html
Appreciate 2
TFERG30.50
      02-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #2
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
I think you should contact Dinan first and foremost before doing anything else.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #3
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

A few people mentioned one of the gaskets needing to be replaced for the Eventuri inlets for a possibly similar issue. Agree with above — contact Dinan. Maybe it’s something similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Several people have complained that the Dinan inlets don’t fit snug and have some play that would allow for an air leak. Sadly this is the reason I decided against ordering them.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 09:19 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I was actually more concerned about the holes between the carbon fiber tube and the metal flange at the turbo end and at the port on the side. I verified there were gaps with a flashlight. I filled in the gaps with JB weld. The o-ring is too loose but for outside air to get around it and into the turbo, the air has to do a 180 degree turn. A thicker o-ring would be good, but I installed mine a few months ago and have not gotten a code.

Note that Dinan did respond to this issue in another thread and pretty much said there should not be a problem. I think at least a few would disagree. Maybe this thread will trigger a further response from Dinan. I suspect it could have 3000 thicker o-rings made for $5 each.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-09-2023 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
TFERG30.50
      02-09-2023, 11:08 AM   #6
FLF90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

thoughts from Dinan?

Dinan_Engineering any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
TFERG30.50
      02-09-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update. I talked to Dinan this morning and they are 100% standing behind their product. They are sending me replacement turbo inlets with express shipping free of charge. Dinan did say the new inlets have a different gasket and material and have been tested. This should/will address the air leaks.

After I receive the new inlets and get a chance to install them, I plan to do a smoke test either myself or back to the dealer. I assume all will be well but will report back my findings in a few weeks. Nice to know that Dinan stands behind their products. Way to go!
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      02-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
2019 BMW M5 Competition.

I had my check engine light go off recently. As the car is still under warranty, I brought it to BMW. And, just like clockwork, the check engine light went off as I was pulling into the dealership....go figure; nevertheless, they decided to look at anyways as it's under warranty.

They are claiming that the check engine light is likely due to leaky turbo inlets from Dinan. Take a look at the video below and let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your help.

https://www.mkvwa38.com/p/5GBqC1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I was actually more concerned about the holes between the carbon fiber tube and the metal flange at the turbo end and at the port on the side. I verified there were gaps with a flashlight. I filled in the gaps with JB weld. The o-ring is too loose but for outside air to get around it and into the turbo, the air has to do a 180 degree turn. A thicker o-ring would be good, but I installed mine a few months ago and have not gotten a code.

Note that Dinan did respond to this issue in another thread and pretty much said there should not be a problem. I think at least a few would disagree. Maybe this thread will trigger a further response from Dinan. I suspect it could have 3000 thicker o-rings made for $5 each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLF90 View Post
Dinan_Engineering any thoughts?
To the OP -- contact the support team at 1-800-341-5480 and they will work with you on getting the issue resolved.

From the video it doesnt get close enough to tell exactly where the smoke is coming from -- whether it be on the connection point to the turbo (indicative of a gasket issue) or if it's on the back side where that aluminum collar is connected to the carbon (bonding failure maybe?). As far as the gasket (or O-ring) goes I can't stress enough the importance of putting that OEM gasket back in the same orientation as it was in the the OEM inlet. It is a unique "o-ring" with a tapered side so if it is not fully seated or backwards it will cause issues. We did experiment with using off the shelf o-rings as a replacement (of different sizes) but none of them played nice with the ECU so it was decided to just use the factory gasket. If it isn't broke, dont fix it, as it were. Incorrect installation with backwards gaskets are predominately the issue we have seen when it comes to problems with these inlets. There have been a few other isolated incidents (random clear spidering, torn gasket in the check valve, etc.) that have come up in the early batches of inlets particularly but they have since been addressed and in the overall scheme of things account for a minute percentage of total inlets shipped anyway.

Regardless, I can only stress that if there is an issue to reach out to us and we will work with you to resolve whatever the problem may be. At the end fo the day a satisified customer and a happy car are the priorities.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-09-2023 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
JK-M561.00
      02-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update. I talked to Dinan this morning and they are 100% standing behind their product. They are sending me replacement turbo inlets with express shipping free of charge. Dinan did say the new inlets have a different gasket and material and have been tested. This should/will address the air leaks.

After I receive the new inlets and get a chance to install them, I plan to do a smoke test either myself or back to the dealer. I assume all will be well but will report back my findings in a few weeks. Nice to know that Dinan stands behind their products. Way to go!
Damn, too slow on my reply. lol
Appreciate 3
Patton2502939.50
dcohen13682.00
      02-09-2023, 12:45 PM   #10
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Damn, too slow on my reply. lol
Thank you for your support! Go Dinan!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:40 PM   #11
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as the gasket (or O-ring) goes I can't stress enough the importance of putting that OEM gasket back in the same orientation as it was in the the OEM inlet. It is a unique "o-ring" with a tapered side so if it is not fully seated or backwards it will cause issues.
Dinan_Engineering

We followed the instructions to the "T" when installing my original Dinan turbo inlets. Those instructions are linked below. But, for the gasket part of the install, I copied and pasted the instructions here for your quick review. The instructions do not mention the orientation of the o-ring other than making sure the o-ring gasket is seating into the groove. How would one tell if the o-ring gasket was installed backwards? Thank you for your help.

Assembly of the Dinan Turbo Inlet Tubes
---------------------------------------------
1) Turbo Inlets:
a) Remove the retaining clips and gaskets from the stock turbo inlet tubes.
b) Install the gasket seal in each inlet tube. Ensure that the gasket is seated properly in the groove as shown
below.
c) Install the retaining clip in the orientation shown below. Should snap into the grooves.

Link to Dinan install instructions for turbo inlets:
------------------------------------------------------
https://documents.dinancars.com/d760-0053.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:42 PM   #12
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As far as the gasket (or O-ring) goes I can't stress enough the importance of putting that OEM gasket back in the same orientation as it was in the the OEM inlet. It is a unique "o-ring" with a tapered side so if it is not fully seated or backwards it will cause issues.
Dinan_Engineering

We followed the instructions to the "T" when installing my original Dinan turbo inlets. Those instructions are linked below. But, for the gasket part of the install, I copied and pasted the instructions here for your quick review. The instructions do not mention the orientation of the o-ring other than making sure the o-ring gasket is seating into the groove. How would one tell if the o-ring gasket was installed backwards? Thank you for your help.

----------------------------------------------------
1) Turbo Inlets:
b) Install the gasket seal in each inlet tube. Ensure that the gasket is seated properly in the groove as shown
below.
c) Install the retaining clip in the orientation shown below. Should snap into the grooves.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 01:58 PM   #13
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Don’t twist it inside out or reverse the orientation of the taper. The ridges are exposed to the turbo inlet and the taper is the thin end towards the turbo. But the Dinan inlets will still feel really loose even if assuming you installed the o-ring gaskets correctly.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 02-09-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2023, 02:08 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

----------------------------------------------------
1) Turbo Inlets:
below.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Don’t twist it inside out or reverse the orientation of the taper. The ridges are exposed to the turbo inlet and the taper is the thin end towards the turbo. But the Dinan inkers will still feel really loose even if assuming you installed the o-ring gaskets correctly.
What pbonsalb said.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #15
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you add JB Weld after you installed the inlets to where the inlet meets the turbo housing?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I used JB weld on the exterior of the Dinan inlets along the seam of the carbon fiber tube and metal flange. I also applied some where the ports are for the hoses halfway down the tube but I am not as sure there was a leak in that area as opposed to very thin carbon fiber or just see through glue/sealant/coating.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #17
Jomart95
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

What code were you getting? My 2018 is throwing a code related to the PCV system…I have the Dinan inlets as well. Just wondering if it could be related in any way.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The OP did not provide the code but if you watch the video, the leak is not at the PCV connections but rather where the inlets attach to the turbos. The BMW tech should be presumed to have installed the stock o-rings into the inlets correctly. It appears to me that everyone who has done this job agrees that even if the o-rings are correctly installed, the inlets still feel really loose (I did the work properly myself and found this ti be the case).

I note the BMW tech doing the smoke test commented that the smoke appeared to be coming from the inlet castings themselves. He was the one there watching. He did not say the smoke appears to be coming from where the outer edge of the inlet meets the turbo, which is where the smoke would come from if the problem was the o-rings leaking.

I found gaps in my Dinan inlets where the carbon fiber inlet tube meets the metal flange of the inlet tube. I sealed these gaps before installing the inlets. Obviously, if they were made with proper quality control this would not be necessary. I suspect these gaps could be the problem others are experiencing but do not know why a slight turbo inlet leak causes a code when no metering of intake air occurs before the turbos.

I also note Dinan’s comment above that they tried different o-rings but none played nice with the ECU. To me, that means Dinan found that an imperfect o-ring seal did cause check engine codes.

Just comments. I don’t have any definitive answers. But you could try removing the inlets and shining a bright flashlight around the inside of the carbon fiber to metal band connection to look for gaps. I would also do this around the PVC ports.

If you find gaps, send the inlets back to Dinan or fix them yourself. I spent about half an hour fixing mine. Mixed up JB weld, wrapped tape around the inlet to leave a thin band for the JB weld, scuffed the surface area with sand paper, worked the JB weld in, removed the tape, smoothed out the edges of the JB weld. It is a little harder to work around the PCV ports but I used tape and applied some there as well. The end result is not visible unless you look closely.

No big deal to me, but it seems to me that very few F90 owners are DIYers. Dinan should provide a solution for them. I have not gotten any codes in several thousand miles of driving since installing the inlets.
Appreciate 1
Revan113.50
      03-12-2023, 08:54 AM   #19
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
i think What's you forte covered it also on his inlet install, i know different brand but with the o-ring you have to be careful as it's recessed in a groove
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #20
Jomart95
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Thanks for the thorough reply! also..nice to know I’m not the only one out there that turns his own wrench. I love working on my cars.

I found my issue. All of the glue points have failed on my drivers side inlet. The passenger side is also failing. Very disappointing as I’ve had these for less than a year. I supposed I’ll call Dinan to see if they will warranty them. i didn’t buy them direct so, I don’t know what to expect.

The car started throwing a PCV error code causing the CEL to illuminate. Performance issues weren’t noticeable and my BMW tech that ran the codes cleared them and suggested further evaluation if the CEL came on again. Well…that was last night…pulled into the fix-it side of the shed and well…see the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38gqzob5ew...ilure.mov?dl=0

Let’s hope Dinan will help me out with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #21
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

If I am seeing the video clearly on my phone, one of your inlets failed at the carbon tune to PCV port connection. This is another place where I scuffed and applied JB Weld. Certainly what I did could fail — I was really trying to seal rather than secure the connections. If I was trying to secure, I would have used a lot more JB Weld and spread further out.

Hopefully Dinan will provide ongoing warranty support since these sorts of issues do appear to be a common problem and appear to be related to poor quality control.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 08:00 AM   #22
Revan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

I purchased these on the black Friday sale and have been waiting for my 1200mi break in to install. Now you guys have me wondering if it's worth the hassle/irritation with all these issues.
Appreciate 0