BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Replacing one tire

01-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
GiantRobot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Replacing one tire

I caught a nail in the left rear tire (center tread), took to my shop for a fix. While separating the tire from the wheel they ruined the tire (they somehow managed to put a bubble on the sidewall). Shop has ordered me a new tire free of charge.

Car is a 2019 M5C running on the stock P Zeros with 4600 miles.

I'm loathe to have only one of the tires replaced, do you guys see any issues/concerns?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
shellx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 997 Turbo S

How much tread is left? Some suppliers like Tirerack can shave a tire to match.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
GiantRobot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

I finally resolved the issue, nearly two weeks after my shop ruined a tire they were trying to patch. The shop offered to order me a new tire (Pirelli PZ4) free of charge. On two separate occasions they called me saying the new tire had been delivered only to later tell me it was the wrong size. I again spoke with the shop yesterday and they said it would be another week for them to get the tire delivered (due to COVID/back-orders, etc.). I was done waiting so I negotiated with them to give me a brand new set of Michelin PS4s for $900 (excluding tax).

I go in this morning to get the Michelins installed, pay for them, and ask them to wrap the three undamaged but lightly used Pirellis since a buddy of mine wanted them. Twenty minutes later the shop manager comes out and says his guy accidentally damaged the sidewalls on two of the Pirellis when removing the tires from the rim. As a result, he was going to give me all four PS4s for free. I got my money back and drove home with a new set of tires.

Fortunately I have other rides and the story ends well, but I don't want to go through that again.

The above notwithstanding, if any of you ever find yourself needing to only replace one tire I found there are specialty tire shops that can true (i.e. shave) a new tire to a tread depth equal to those of the existing tires on your car. Tire Rack can also perform this service for a nominal charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

A new shop may be in order for any future tire service?
Appreciate 2
josec704051.00
EPTXM571.50