BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    frozen paint help

11-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

frozen paint help

So recently purchased 21 m5
Comp
On frozen black and I'm kinda scared of washing it due to the guy that came out after washing it and told me to wash the car in sections and not to use and wax or anything to mess it up is there any full
Kits I can buy ? Maybe from BMW or someone recommend anything and methods of washing I have been wiping down the dust with a. Microfiber towel just lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

there is special soap i believe. I know for a fact there is a matte wax.

remember, never polish this paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
there is special soap i believe. I know for a fact there is a matte wax.

remember, never polish this paint.
Yeah that's what he told me never polish it or put any wax on it do you know where that soap is I can buy ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

quick search yielded this.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/meticul...MaAiezEALw_wcB

you can wax it, you just need the matte wax.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...ECIAL-NANO-WAX
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Don't get too worked up about the upkeep for frozen paint. It isn't as bad as people make it to be. For me I'm picking up my frozen dark silver M8C GC this weekend. I ordered Dr Beasley products as it has great reviews for quality for matte paints

https://www.drbeasleys.com

After extensive research, I ordered the Matte body wash for washing the car, Matte paint coating for hydrophobicity, and Matte final finish for cleaning touch ups and contamination in between washes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also watch this video from chemical guys where they did a full matte wash to give you an idea how to approach your wash with confidence.

https://m.youtube.com/watch/AOeKk_lqURQ
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #7
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belugs View Post
Also watch this video from chemical guys where they did a full matte wash to give you an idea how to approach your wash with confidence.

Quote:
Don't get too worked up about the upkeep for frozen paint. It isn't as bad as people make it to be. For me I'm picking up my frozen dark silver M8C GC this weekend. I ordered Dr Beasley products as it has great reviews for quality for matte paints

https://www.drbeasleys.com

After extensive research, I ordered the Matte body wash for washing the car, Matte paint coating for hydrophobicity, and Matte final finish for cleaning touch ups and contamination in between washes.
Quote:

Just feel obligated to make this paint always look fresh and unique when anyone sees it does anyone have any experience with their frozen paint with chemical guys or dr beasleys ? I'm not sure what to choose chemical guys or dr Beasley ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
I had a frozen blue e92, so happy to share my experience (feel free to dm me as well):
1. It's really just another color... if it was so dangerous to drive off the lot, they wouldn't offer the color. This is especially true if you're leasing.
2. 99% of your regular care is the same... I had folks accidentally do everything to it... hard brushes, wrong fibers, wrong shampoos, etc. Honestly, no issues.
3. Don't wax. There are matte waxes you can buy, but honesty, really don't need it as much as you think for protection. If you decide to invest in one of the "special care packages," know that I used the official BMW one they used to offer, and switched to a lesser known brand after BMW stopped offering for a while. No difference.
4. All the fear of leaving bugs, dirt, etc. - nothing mattered... just washed off like a regular color. I was really carful at first, but over time just neglected, and it made no difference.
5. If you need to get something fixed, make sure you don't go to a crappy place to fix it. Authorized places are a sure bet, but you can go elsewhere if they are reputable and you trust them to color match. I had many scratches and shit fixed (attended garage) and all easy (small price increase sometimes, but nothing serious).
6. If you are going to hold long term or track often, I'd get a full wrap for the front (this is true for non frozen as well). Otherwise, not really necessary.
Appreciate 1
Belugs318.00
      11-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #9
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
I had a frozen blue e92, so happy to share my experience (feel free to dm me as well):
1. It's really just another color... if it was so dangerous to drive off the lot, they wouldn't offer the color. This is especially true if you're leasing.
2. 99% of your regular care is the same... I had folks accidentally do everything to it... hard brushes, wrong fibers, wrong shampoos, etc. Honestly, no issues.
3. Don't wax. There are matte waxes you can buy, but honesty, really don't need it as much as you think for protection. If you decide to invest in one of the "special care packages," know that I used the official BMW one they used to offer, and switched to a lesser known brand after BMW stopped offering for a while. No difference.
4. All the fear of leaving bugs, dirt, etc. - nothing mattered... just washed off like a regular color. I was really carful at first, but over time just neglected, and it made no difference.
5. If you need to get something fixed, make sure you don't go to a crappy place to fix it. Authorized places are a sure bet, but you can go elsewhere if they are reputable and you trust them to color match. I had many scratches and shit fixed (attended garage) and all easy (small price increase sometimes, but nothing serious).
6. If you are going to hold long term or track often, I'd get a full wrap for the front (this is true for non frozen as well). Otherwise, not really necessary.
Your point #6: I have an appointment to get full front end PPF to avoid dings and scratches from road debris. What did your car front end look like after months of driving? Were they noticeable scratches or nothing serious that was too visible. I'm leasing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Your point #6: I have an appointment to get full front end PPF to avoid dings and scratches from road debris. What did your car front end look like after months of driving? Were they noticeable scratches or nothing serious that was too visible. I'm leasing.
Zero issues returning (minor scratches and dings - no more than usual). I did very few track days (maybe less than 30 laps) and used a partial bra for those days. Never bothered getting a proper wrap. I kept *meaning to* but never did .
Appreciate 1
Belugs318.00
      11-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zero issues returning (minor scratches and dings - no more than usual). I did very few track days (maybe less than 30 laps) and used a partial bra for those days. Never bothered getting a proper wrap. I kept *meaning to* but never did .
Haha ok sounds good. Will do a full front wrap because I plan on doing quite a bit of track days. Was initially thinking of doing a full wrap but for a 3yr lease I really think that's overkill.

Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 1
lsal134.50
      11-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep

Quote:

thanks for sharing your insight and experience with the frozen paint , i will be lloking to buy a full kit with everyhting i need for the matte paint
Appreciate 1
lsal134.50