BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    rotor resurface

07-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi a7, c7 grandsport

rotor resurface

just curious has anyone attempted to resurface the f90 rotors before switching to new pads, mine are at 17k and have slight grooving on the fronts. i don't track the car nor do i take it to the back roads often.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivom5 View Post
just curious has anyone attempted to resurface the f90 rotors before switching to new pads, mine are at 17k and have slight grooving on the fronts. i don't track the car nor do i take it to the back roads often.
Can be done but most shops don't like to turn drilled rotors for fear of cracking them.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 07:10 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would do it with just 17k miles. I have had drilled rotors turned before with no issue. Mine have 38k and I will just replace them in a couple of years when they will probably have 60k. I drive year round and find that drilled rotors holes fill with rust over time, reducing their efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
I've been dealing with the question for EONS.

Here's an OEM answer.

https://www.powerstop.com/resources/...-brake-rotors/

From my standpoint, if the brakes are working AS ADVERTISED, and stopping the car without ignorant levels of noise, do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Even if you change the pads (but only if they're worn out). Make sure the rotors meet minimum specs, but other than that, pad change only if they're worn.

NO ONE has EVER been able to prove me wrong on that. No study. No objective data. Nothing. It's all "well, that's what we've been doing since the beginning of time".

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I've been dealing with the question for EONS.

Here's an OEM answer.

https://www.powerstop.com/resources/...-brake-rotors/

From my standpoint, if the brakes are working AS ADVERTISED, and stopping the car without ignorant levels of noise, do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Even if you change the pads (but only if they're worn out). Make sure the rotors meet minimum specs, but other than that, pad change only if they're worn.

NO ONE has EVER been able to prove me wrong on that. No study. No objective data. Nothing. It's all "well, that's what we've been doing since the beginning of time".

Shawn
i appreciate the info, mine are currently screeching louder than a 18 wheeler. my last m4 had loud brakes but this is just obnoxiously loud that's why my question was asked.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Can be done but most shops don't like to turn drilled rotors for fear of cracking them.
got it thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #7
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would do it with just 17k miles. I have had drilled rotors turned before with no issue. Mine have 38k and I will just replace them in a couple of years when they will probably have 60k. I drive year round and find that drilled rotors holes fill with rust over time, reducing their efficiency.

appreciate the info, mine arent rusting or anything as I'm in Cali, however the noise level is whats bothering me and occasionally the car takes a bit longer to stop at slow speeds i just assumed it was because they're slightly grooved.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would not resurface to try to stop squeaking. I’d have to feel the grooves. If they are really bad I would replace the rotors but I can’t imagine they could be badly grooved at 17k.

If the car really does take longer to stop, that wound be strange. Pad deposits on the rotor are an increasingly common problem since all the good stuff has been taken out of pads. I have read of people borrowing a set of race pads and driving with them for a day or two to clean the pad deposits off, but I have not done this myself. Most of these brakes squeak. You could try a few hard stops from 100 to 20 to see if that helps. I do those occasionally and it helps briefly but my normal lazy driving recreates the squeak before long.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #9
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
i appreciate the info, mine are currently screeching louder than a 18 wheeler. my last m4 had loud brakes but this is just obnoxiously loud that's why my question was asked.
Good info. Under those circumstances can we get a picture of rotor and pad thickness?

Shawn
Appreciate 0