BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Oil changes out of cycle between dealer maintenance

06-08-2022, 09:03 PM   #1
Blackedm5f90
Starlink
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 Competition

Oil changes out of cycle between dealer maintenance

Hi, I am approaching 5k miles on my 22 m5c and would like to do an oil change on it. The car includes oil change every 10k mile for the first 3 years. Do I take the car to dealer for out of band oil changes as well and pay out of pocket or take to a local shop specializing in bmws?

I guess what do folks do here that do oil changes outside of the recommended interval.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #2
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedm5f90 View Post
Hi, I am approaching 5k miles on my 22 m5c and would like to do an oil change on it. The car includes oil change every 10k mile for the first 3 years. Do I take the car to dealer for out of band oil changes as well and pay out of pocket or take to a local shop specializing in bmws?

I guess what do folks do here that do oil changes outside of the recommended interval.
I have changed to liqui moly 5w 40 so i just go somewhere else and change the oil and my 10k bmw is actually almost due, so ill go to dealer and get the free oil change and just go again and change it back to what i want after
      06-09-2022, 01:21 AM   #3
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If you have a BMW dealer conduct an extra non scheduled oil change then its best to confirm that it will not be entered into the system....some service items like plug changes are scheduled as a function of the number of oil changes conducted.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

not sure what you're actually looking for in this question. Indy you can pick your own oil and cost may be cheaper...idk what else to consider here. I do them myself.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
Blackedm5f90
Starlink
No_Country
Rep

basically do folks take to dealer for out of cycle oil changes or local indy shop etc.; if folks go to dealer how do they handle the out of cycle - looks like senorfunkypants answered it.
Thanks Maverik - I have never undone a bolt on a car let alone oil change - i guess time to learn on my old car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

Quote:
basically do folks take to dealer for out of cycle oil changes or local indy shop etc.; if folks go to dealer how do they handle the out of cycle - looks like senorfunkypants answered it.
Thanks Maverik - I have never undone a bolt on a car let alone oil change - i guess time to learn on my old car!!
There are a couple YouTube videos of how to do it, it's pretty straight forward
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
No worries man. I just don't know what you're actually asking. Like the underlying concern maybe?

Personally spend as little money at my dealer as necessary. I don't trust them. Their minimum wage rugrats who drive cars around the lot abuse them at every chance they get. Have caught them taking selfies sitting on my car. They wash my car when I ask them not too and damage the hood requiring a full paint job, etc. trust the Indy with low volume and more personable touch every day of the week…but again, I do all my own maintenance if I have the time and energy lol.

Perfect example. I did the control arms and differentials on my X5 but I let my Indy handle my tranny fluid due to a lack of energy lol. Bought the FCP euro kit and gave them like $250 for the service.

I would recommend buying the oil change kit from FCP. Have an Indy shop do it. Then start mailing your used oil back to FCP to get a refund…yes it's very much a thing. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #8
Blackedm5f90
Starlink
No_Country
Rep

thanks Maverik; does FCP have the 0w oil that the 2022 M5 specifies or is the 5w fine as well? Also my local shop is quoting about 180 for oil change (Moli + filter etc. included) - is that reasonable? I am also in VA.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks Maverik; does FCP have the 0w oil that the 2022 M5 specifies or is the 5w fine as well? Also my local shop is quoting about 180 for oil change (Moli + filter etc. included) - is that reasonable? I am also in VA.
Oil Weight is more conducive to your climate and driving habits.

Thinner oil in winter thicker in summer etc. 5w-40 is usually what I do in the summer and 5w-30 in winter.

But a 5w-40 or 0w-40 would be perfectly fine too. But there are some that get wrapped around the axel on what "bmw" says to put in the engine. You gotta remember bmw Is a business first.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 11:48 PM   #10
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Yes fcp has all oil weights, you have to look up the oil filter kit for a 2018 m5, and the main issue is that it doesn't come with the drain plug for the oil filter housing (which is a 1 time use part and will leak if you take it out and don't replace it) on any 22 m5s built after I want to say nov/December of 21. Only way to currently get this part is through bmw directly and only by buying their oil filter kit. (I'm still looking for a part number myself) 180 for an oil change is RIDICULOUS, the dealership doesn't even charge that much. Personally I think the 0w-30 is extremely thin, after about 45 minutes cool down it came out of the car like water, felt like I was draining my radiator not my oil pan. But that's bmws emissions weight oil, they changed from 5w40 in like 2019 I want to say? If you plan on pushing the car I'd definitely recommend thicker oil at least for summer, but keep in mind with thicker oil you really should not push the car at all until it's warmed up (at least in my opinion and experience)
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #11
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Yes fcp has all oil weights, you have to look up the oil filter kit for a 2018 m5, and the main issue is that it doesn't come with the drain plug for the oil filter housing (which is a 1 time use part and will leak if you take it out and don't replace it) on any 22 m5s built after I want to say nov/December of 21. Only way to currently get this part is through bmw directly and only by buying their oil filter kit. (I'm still looking for a part number myself) 180 for an oil change is RIDICULOUS, the dealership doesn't even charge that much. Personally I think the 0w-30 is extremely thin, after about 45 minutes cool down it came out of the car like water, felt like I was draining my radiator not my oil pan. But that's bmws emissions weight oil, they changed from 5w40 in like 2019 I want to say? If you plan on pushing the car I'd definitely recommend thicker oil at least for summer, but keep in mind with thicker oil you really should not push the car at all until it's warmed up (at least in my opinion and experience)

My local shop wanted $200 for an oil change and the dealership wanted around $260. Since the M5 calls for 10 liters of oil I expected the oil change to be more. I bought 11 liters of BMW 0W-30 long life at $10.26 (total $112.86) and the BMW oil filter was $20.93. My thoughts are, $180 is alot of money unless they are not using BMW oil. Total cost for the oil change for me was $145.16 with tax. The M5 is easy to change the oil. It took me longer getting the car on the ramps with the prep and clean up then the oil change. It helps to have a space and tools to complete the maintenance task. I guess working on helicopters (UH-1N and AH-1W) for 20 years in the Marine Corps paid off.

The bottom picture: the round openings is where the oil plug and filter are located. The picture to the right (driver's side) I have already removed the drain plug and the oil is draining. I placed some paper towels around the opening to catch any of the oil. The opening to the left is the location for the oil filter.
Attached Images

Last edited by Egrunt; 07-14-2022 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post

My local shop wanted $200 for an oil change and the dealership wanted around $260. Since the M5 calls for 10 liters of oil I expected the oil change to be more. I bought 11 liters of BMW 0W-30 long life at $10.26 (total $112.86) and the BMW oil filter was $20.93. My thoughts are, $180 is alot of money unless they are not using BMW oil. Total cost for the oil change for me was $145.16 with tax. The M5 is easy to change the oil. It took me longer getting the car on the ramps with the prep and clean up then the oil change. It helps to have a space and tools to complete the maintenance task. I guess working on helicopters (UH-1N and AH-1W) for 20 years in the Marine Corps paid off.

The bottom picture: the round openings is where the oil plug and filter are located. The picture to the right (driver's side) I have already removed the drain plug and the oil is draining. I placed some paper towels around the opening to catch any of the oil. The opening to the left is the location for the oil filter.
Trying to understand this reply….are you just telling us you changed your oil?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0