BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Any Wraps here?

11-11-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Any Wraps here?

Anyone vinyl color wrapped (not PPF)? Brand, durability, quality, looks, etc?

I am a huge fan of the black satin frozen paint look! If my current black m5 was new I would certainly stealth PPF it, but not really worth it now I think when I could wrap for less than half cost. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 02:50 AM   #2
hatemax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

BMW M550 modified to M5CS
Black Sapphire wrapped with Matte PPF

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:41 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Anyone vinyl color wrapped (not PPF)? Brand, durability, quality, looks, etc?

I am a huge fan of the black satin frozen paint look! If my current black m5 was new I would certainly stealth PPF it, but not really worth it now I think when I could wrap for less than half cost. Thoughts?
While I haven’t wrapped an M5, as a current owner of a 3M Satin Black (Series 2080/S12) wrap done properly including door jams — it sucks. Way better than fake orange peel paint looking wrap (made that mistake first), but still crap. Durability is okay, but rock chips means the extremely contrasted paint underneath shines through. Even with a quality, hand cut install, wrapped over edges, pieces are curling 2 years in. And don’t even get me started about how freaking difficult the satin wrap it is to (hand) wash. It absorbs water very easily and is difficult to extract. Bird drops some good luck on the car? Better get to it fast.

The car came with clear XPEL PPF over the original metallic paintwork. Should have left that instead of gutting it (which was expensive, too), then applying the satin wrap. Huge mistake. I was able to use automated tunnel car washes, and now the car needs to be professionally detailed almost every time it needs to be washed because of the above.

There are people here more knowledgeable than me on this, though. I am sure they would offer you ways to prevent some, if not all, of the issues I mentioned. But for me personally, it made the car worse in every single way.

Besides, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again; you have one of the most beautiful front ends on this forum. I think it’s perfection and would say don’t fix what isn’t broken.

If you really wanted the Stealth PPF (best option from the choices you provided IMHO), you can get your BSM paint corrected and then go from there. You’d end up looking very similar to hatemax’s car above — which I personally think looks great.

Just my $0.02.
      11-15-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Wrapped the daily driver Macan twice and learned a few valuable things. First time was with TeckWrap, which lasted about a year and a half before the heat from the hood and sun disintegrated it even with ceramic coating. Also because of how their rolls are manufactured we needed to stitch 2 pieces together to do the massive clamshell on the Macan.

Now we re-wrapped it in Avery Dennison and ceramic coated it again but it's only been a few months so can't really say how long it will hold up. But the wrap feels much nicer, the shop said it installed way easier, and didn't require multiple pieces for the hood. Also, because the car is black we can get away with not doing the roof or door jams or side blades because it contrasts well and looks great. If the car was any other color this would have been a huge problem and added a lot of cost.

So my lessons are basically buy a well-respected, expensive brand like 3M or Avery Dennison, have it ceramic coated, and only do it over certain paint colors.

Appreciate 1
      11-16-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
While I haven’t wrapped an M5, as a current owner of a 3M Satin Black (Series 2080/S12) wrap done properly including door jams — it sucks. Way better than fake orange peel paint looking wrap (made that mistake first), but still crap. Durability is okay, but rock chips means the extremely contrasted paint underneath shines through. Even with a quality, hand cut install, wrapped over edges, pieces are curling 2 years in. And don’t even get me started about how freaking difficult the satin wrap it is to (hand) wash. It absorbs water very easily and is difficult to extract. Bird drops some good luck on the car? Better get to it fast.

The car came with clear XPEL PPF over the original metallic paintwork. Should have left that instead of gutting it (which was expensive, too), then applying the satin wrap. Huge mistake. I was able to use automated tunnel car washes, and now the car needs to be professionally detailed almost every time it needs to be washed because of the above.

There are people here more knowledgeable than me on this, though. I am sure they would offer you ways to prevent some, if not all, of the issues I mentioned. But for me personally, it made the car worse in every single way.

Besides, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again; you have one of the most beautiful front ends on this forum. I think it’s perfection and would say don’t fix what isn’t broken.

If you really wanted the Stealth PPF (best option from the choices you provided IMHO), you can get your BSM paint corrected and then go from there. You’d end up looking very similar to hatemax’s car above — which I personally think looks great.

Just my $0.02.
That is excellent feedback!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Don’t hesitate to go with Inozetek, one of the toughest, and easiest wraps I ever removed, you can literally almost remove it in one piece and be able to apply it back on lol
Appreciate 1
afo818254.50