BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    In desperate need of help!

05-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
apatel89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 M

In desperate need of help!

I was hoping it didn’t come to this but here I am asking for help. I recently bought a m5 comp and was extremely excited. After everything went through I found the car seller on the forums and went back through the post history. Turns out the car had a blown engine something the seller didn’t disclose. I asked the seller multiple times if anything was wrong with the car, if there had been any previous issues etc etc. had a ppi done. Had someone check out the car in person. Now what’s done is done I can live with that but I would like to know how the issue was fixed, the seller byrabee3 has since deleted the post and refuses to respond to me. If anyone can remember how he rectified the issues that would be much appreciated! I believe the post was titled blown engine denied warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
schuylerb
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Don’t quote me... my memory isn’t great on this because I didn’t follow the thread closely.... But I did skim it...

I recall posts regarding one or two shops that were [apparently] reputable, vetted, and capable of rebuilding the engine.

Hopefully others who participated in the thread
will chime in... They’ll probably be more helpful than I can be. Maybe an admin can pull deleted threads?

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatel89 View Post
I was hoping it didn’t come to this but here I am asking for help. I recently bought a m5 comp and was extremely excited. After everything went through I found the car seller on the forums and went back through the post history. Turns out the car had a blown engine something the seller didn’t disclose. I asked the seller multiple times if anything was wrong with the car, if there had been any previous issues etc etc. had a ppi done. Had someone check out the car in person. Now what’s done is done I can live with that but I would like to know how the issue was fixed, the seller byrabee3 has since deleted the post and refuses to respond to me. If anyone can remember how he rectified the issues that would be much appreciated! I believe the post was titled blown engine denied warranty.
We all know that guy... sneaky to say the least but did you run a full history with the vin at a BMW dealer service center? Also run a Google cache search on his name and you might see his posts but sadly I dont think he ever disclosed what he did or didnt do. PM me your vin and Ill do some digging about the repairs. Ill bet your warranty is shot with flagged car.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 05-29-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      05-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
jko2001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

A few quick questions:

1. How did you ultimately find out that there was an engine rebuild?
2. Are you having any issues with the car?
3. When you were going through the purchasing process, did you get any sort of background report on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
apatel89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jko2001 View Post
A few quick questions:

1. How did you ultimately find out that there was an engine rebuild?
2. Are you having any issues with the car?
3. When you were going through the purchasing process, did you get any sort of background report on the car?
1) I briefly saw it on the thread before he deleted it when I texted him asking about the rebuild.
2) no issues with the car it’s not here yet.
3) I paid for a carfax which in hindsight I should have done more but that’s my fault for expecting honesty from people!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

You likely have the right to rescind the purchase if you so choose.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

i would definitely not buy the car after you know the seller did not disclose something that important. also deleting thread after the fact etc...

time to call some lawyers around.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
jko2001
Private
Rep

Look, I'm a firm believer in everyone doing their own homework, so I can't say that I feel all that sorry for you in this situation. With that said, if you inquired about it and were told false information, it's a pretty shady move on the seller's part. Most people on here saw the thread at some point and some folks did note in that discussion that it should be disclosed. I don't know what your legal grounds are here and whether you want to pursue them or not, but at the very least, the seller should provide you with the details so you at least know what you're working with and which parties were involved should something come up down the road.

In the meantime - and I'm not trying to be a hero or anything (the info is out there) - you can access the forum through cached pages (per Vic's suggestion).

PAGE 1: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

PAGE 2: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Subsequent pages require you to change "2" to "3" after the "page%3D" part of the URL.

Hopefully you and the seller can come to some sort of amicable resolution on the matter.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

So sad to hear about this. Not disclosing a fully repaired engine, I agree time to call lawyers.

This thread is a cautionary tale for all buyers of a used BMW. Always have a licensed BMW dealer do the pre-purchase inspection.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
jko2001
Private
Rep

Looks like the second link got messed up - and changing the URL doesn't seem to work for going to the next page. You'll have to google each individual page and pull the cache.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Where did you get the PPI done? Not BMW?

BMW would have told you the blown engine history along with declined warranty. I'm confused how that didn't surface.

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal if you didn't expect warranty anyways. What i remember from his thread, is that he just wanted to fix it and get rid of it as he had bad vibes with the car due to blown motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5, 2013 X5M

Not disclosing that before a sale is a dick move. I'd find a way out of that sale, both out of principle and out of uncertainty of how well it was done.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

if the motor was fixed/replaced by BMW, it should carry a warranty. And if that is the case, i wouldn't worry too much.

One thing to note, anytime buying a used a car, ALWAYS call two dealers with VIN and get a history report.

And fyi, PPI is shit. I've been saying this forever.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
if the motor was fixed/replaced by BMW, it should carry a warranty. And if that is the case, i wouldn't worry too much.

One thing to note, anytime buying a used a car, ALWAYS call two dealers with VIN and get a history report.

And fyi, PPI is shit. I've been saying this forever.
I don't think he fixed it at a BMW dealer. I think it was an Indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You bought a car sight unseen over the Internet from an individual?

You had a PPI done and they didn't catch that the motor had been replaced or rebuilt? Please post the name of that shop so that everyone on here knows never to use them.

My advice. Preserve all communications you've had with the guy, particularly anywhere where you specifically asked about issues with the car and he said there were none. That is active concealment and constitutes fraud. I would immediately be doing everything possible to rescind the transaction, including getting a lawyer involved ASAP if necessary.

I would also file fraud charges against the seller in his home State if you can document that he actively concealed this from you. He basically stole money from you.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5, 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Yeah, pretty sure he was tuned and blew the engine. No warranty left for the buyer I'm afraid, which really is the cherry on top of all this fuckery from the POS seller.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #17
ambletx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

If memory serves me correctly, the cost of a replaced motor from BMW was close to $60k. The seller had the motor repaired out of state from where he lived. I believe that it took a couple of months for him to get it back and the total bill was around $20k'ish.

Now, if you can find out who rebuilt the motor, I'd see if they used forged rods. From what I understand that is the weakest link in the F90 motors. While its not much of a bright side, it is a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #18
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambletx View Post
While its not much of a bright side, it is a new motor.
But it's not a new motor. It's a rebuilt motor, done on the cheap, and sold as if it were stock and unmolested.

Still hard to believe the buyer did this deal remotely, via text.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      05-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #19
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambletx View Post
If memory serves me correctly, the cost of a replaced motor from BMW was close to $60k. The seller had the motor repaired out of state from where he lived. I believe that it took a couple of months for him to get it back and the total bill was around $20k'ish.

Now, if you can find out who rebuilt the motor, I'd see if they used forged rods. From what I understand that is the weakest link in the F90 motors. While its not much of a bright side, it is a new motor.
Seem to remember it was a Cali guy (LA?), blew the motor with tune, didn't warm up before a run?, had a new motor put in car in indy shop in Oklahoma.... Or not.

Anyway, surely you didn't consummate the deal yet sight unseen.....put a stop on the funds. If not possible, you should threaten legal action if money not returned immediately and hopefully you have a clear paper trail. Sorry to hear this. People generally suck. And then there's the real assholes like your seller.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #20
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I think you should seek legal action and rescind the transaction
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #21
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post

fuck....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #22
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Seem to remember it was a Cali guy (LA?), blew the motor with tune, didn't warm up before a run?, had a new motor put in car in indy shop in Oklahoma.... Or not.

Anyway, surely you didn't consummate the deal yet sight unseen.....put a stop on the funds. If not possible, you should threaten legal action if money not returned immediately and hopefully you have a clear paper trail. Sorry to hear this. People generally suck. And then there's the real assholes like your seller.

the guy with the nardo one? wonder if you and i are thinking of same person
Appreciate 0