BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Advice on buying an F90 M5 or RS5 SB B9

04-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A7

Advice on buying an F90 M5 or RS5 SB B9

Hi all,

First post here so please go easy on me

I'm looking to buy an M5 next year. However being an avid Audi fan... I don't know whether to make the change or not. I currently own a A7 C8 50TDI and have had it for a year and half , but I rarely use it since buying a daily commuter A3 TDI as I do 30k per year and the A7 didn't feel special anymore. Anyway, as I put I don't really use the A7 that much, don't get me wrong it's an amazing car but I want something that is faster and has noise. I've been looking at M5s mostly because the M5 was a car I always wanted when I was growing up and plus it had 4wd now. The equivalent RS6/7 has only recently been released and for some reason in the UK in the 2nd hand market they hold their value quite well so wouldn't be able to afford a brand new one. I'm seeing M5s on auto trader from around £55k which is in budget.

The questions I need help are on the following;
- S63 engine, is it reliable? Are there any major flaws I should be aware of if I were to keep the car 3-4 years
- extended warranty, would you recommend getting one? If so what are estimated costs
- which date exactly was the pops and bangs taken off? I've heard September 2019 is that date? Hence I'll be looking for a pre September 2019 model.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. The only other choice of car other than this id want is a RS5 sportback, but before the A7 I had a B9 A4 for 2.5 years so wouldn't want the same interior again... so yeah any help would be great in making a choice. Of course I'll test drive before I buy but some information now would be great.

Sorry for the long post 😅

Thanks

Sukhraj Hira
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I have a 2013 Audi S6, so I will be happy to speak to that since I am able to compare.

I have owned this Audi for almost 7 years now, and it has been a great car, especially when I consider the price. I paid $67k cash for the car in 2013.

It is fast and agile on the road. The interior is very comfortable and well-designed. I have the diamond-stitched seats which really look fantastic.

If you ever need to drive in snow, the Quattro is fantastic. I only did it once when there was a 2 foot snow storm in North Carolina last year and I went skiing, but mostly just wanted to drive the car in some serious snow. It handled it like a champ.

However, the 4.0T engine has become notorious for blowing up turbos, causing catastrophic engine failure. My car has not had this issue yet, but the reports of this are so common that it is basically a matter of when rather than if. I actually decided to get my 2020 M5 before my Audi blows up and I have to spend $10,000+ to repair it. I will be selling this S6 very soon, once I can get all of my aftermarket stereo equipment out of it.

Now that I have the M5, I must admit that this car is on a completely different level than my Audi. Of course, I could have purchased 2 of my Audis for what this M5 costs so, to be fair, that fact must obviously be kept in mind. But the M5 is a superior car in every way that I can think of. Build quality. Speed/acceleration. Exhaust note. Handling. Interior materials/quality. Technology. Feel/Stability on the highway. It's just on a different level of prestige, performance and luxury.

When driving the M5, the car feels more substantial. The Audi feels very light and agile, but also feels like a strong gust of wind might push you around a bit. The M5 instills more confidence on the highway, as it feels more planted.

The steering feel of the Audi is considerably lighter than the M5, even when the Audi is set for Performance steering feedback. The Comfort setting on the M5 feels heavier than the Performance setting on the Audi.

The Audi has an air suspension and the ride is much softer and more comfortable than the M5. The M5 is a very Spartan experience, with tight suspension that can be quite harsh when the roads are not perfectly smooth. Most of the time I do not notice the harshness with the M5 because the roads in my town are fairly good. But every so often I will drive over a bump or something uneven in the road and you definitely get a jolt that reminds you that this is a racing-tuned suspension. The Audi has never done that. It is very comfortable all of the time.

Road noise is one issue that the Audi has always suffered from. Even with good tires, there has always been a lot of road hum with my Audi. The M5 has some road noise but not as bad as the Audi.

I also own a 2012 S63 AMG, and that thing is dead quiet as far as road noise is concerned. The only thing you hear in that car is the engine growl and the turbos whistling.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I hope it does.

The Cliffs Notes version from me is that Audi makes great cars, especially when the price difference is taken into account. The cars are more aimed towards daily-driver with high performance, while the M5 seems to lean harder towards raw performance but with the tradeoff being the harsher suspension.
Appreciate 2
uniqueMR1883.00
hoyas490131.50
      04-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi subter,

Thanks for your reply! I believe you had the previous gen S6. I currently have the new gen A7 and have to say the interior is amazing and it has virtually no road noise. The ride is also fantastic sitting on 21s. However I find myself wanting more performance and noise..

After having audis for the last 5 years, I think I'm getting bored of them and want to change brands for a little while, hence the M5 being a choice (don't like Mercedes unfortunately). I'm going to wait for hopefully more replies in this thread, but thanks for your reply once again!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

6 cylinder engines don't count. 😂😉
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I cross shopped the rs5 SB and the f90. The rs5 was a really harsh ride and actually suprised how bad it was. I am always lowered with wheels etc on my card and used to a harsh ride but man this was something else. I checked the suspension settings to make sure I was in the most comfy setting.

But that wasn’t why I didn’t go with the Audi. If you are leasing you get much more bang for the buck with bmw and esp the f90. Car was 30k more and lease payment was the same
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

I came from a C7 RS6 - I had a deposit for the C8 down and the M5 was only meant to last me 6 months max, but I have ended up keeping it. A few points I found between the two below

The Quratto is better, not by a country mile but without a doubt it's better. The M5 can still sometimes cut power to the wheels to point your kissing the windscreen.

The acceleration on the F90 is the tits, it's pulls right to the red line, very easy to put your foot down and your in 3 figure speeds.

As above, it's a very planted car - you can hit corners at pace and feel confident your not going to be in a tree.

It's VERY anonymous - looks like a standard 5 series with some minor tweaks - I don't mind this but some people want others to know they spent 90k on a car.

Racechip is pretty much a must, without it the car doesn't feel that special.

I'm not sure on when they removed the crackle maps - but the car is very quite as is, I would be very disappointed if I picked one up that had the muted exhausts, I would defo get her singing on the test drive to make sure you buy the right one.

Pilot Sport 4's are a must, the grip is fucking dire on the stock tyres mine was delivered with
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
I came from a C7 RS6 - I had a deposit for the C8 down and the M5 was only meant to last me 6 months max, but I have ended up keeping it. A few points I found between the two below

The Quratto is better, not by a country mile but without a doubt it's better. The M5 can still sometimes cut power to the wheels to point your kissing the windscreen.

The acceleration on the F90 is the tits, it's pulls right to the red line, very easy to put your foot down and your in 3 figure speeds.

As above, it's a very planted car - you can hit corners at pace and feel confident your not going to be in a tree.

It's VERY anonymous - looks like a standard 5 series with some minor tweaks - I don't mind this but some people want others to know they spent 90k on a car.

Racechip is pretty much a must, without it the car doesn't feel that special.

I'm not sure on when they removed the crackle maps - but the car is very quite as is, I would be very disappointed if I picked one up that had the muted exhausts, I would defo get her singing on the test drive to make sure you buy the right one.

Pilot Sport 4's are a must, the grip is fucking dire on the stock tyres mine was delivered with
Thanks for your reply mate!, no issues with the anonymous looks, I'll probably add some carbon fiber parts e.g. diffuser and splitter.

Will definitely get the racechip after I've gotten used to 600bhp! I think my answers in terms of if it I like it will be answered with a test drive. But in the back of my mind I don't want to leave Audi... and I'm not sure why haha
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I cross shopped the rs5 SB and the f90. The rs5 was a really harsh ride and actually suprised how bad it was. I am always lowered with wheels etc on my card and used to a harsh ride but man this was something else. I checked the suspension settings to make sure I was in the most comfy setting.

But that wasn’t why I didn’t go with the Audi. If you are leasing you get much more bang for the buck with bmw and esp the f90. Car was 30k more and lease payment was the same
On auto trader, the RS5 & M5 ( the ones I'm looking at) are similar priced. I'd be getting it on PCP which pays the depreciation of the car over the term chosen. The M5 & RS5 are very similar in monthly price. I wouldn't be able to afford a brand new lease or finance hence looking at used ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1R4 View Post
I'll probably add some carbon fiber parts e.g. diffuser and splitter.
Yeah that does help, I have done splitters, spoiler, deflectors, grill and tips. It defo helps Ill upload some pics if you want to see the difference.
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
Yeah that does help, I have done splitters, spoiler, deflectors, grill and tips. It defo helps Ill upload some pics if you want to see the difference.
Yes please! Also where you got them from will help!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I owned the last 4.2l RS5. Liked it a lot, but it was a flawed car in a number of ways, the most important of which was the ergos of the drivers seat. They were terrible. Particularly annoying was the fact that, even with the seat as low as it could go, my head brushed the ceiling and I was just too high in the car. I'm 6'1"-6'2". I love the new RS5, so when I was searching for a new car, I did some research on the new model and multiple reviewers commented that it still had this problem. If you're over 6 feet, the ergos just don't work unless you like driving with your seat leaning back. So I knocked it out, tested the M5 and never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #12
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

RS5 is basic.......

Different class than the M5. Closer to a 3 series than the 5.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #13
undertaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Audi<BMW always!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 12:04 AM   #14
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was having really hard time choosing between the new RS7 and the M5C. I love Audi RS models. Th new RS7 is absolutely beautiful, it’s low and wide and sporty looking. I basically decided to preorder one. I recently made the mistake of test driving an M5C while my X3MC was being serviced. I just couldn’t resist. What a beast of a sedan! The WOT acceleration is breathtaking. I’m about to cancel my expensive RS7 preorder and pick up an M5C.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #15
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
RS5 is basic.......

Different class than the M5. Closer to a 3 series than the 5.
Yes I know. But 2nd hand they're similar in price, hence me asking the question. I'd love a new gen RS7 but I'm not paying £100k for a brand new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #16
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I was having really hard time choosing between the new RS7 and the M5C. I love Audi RS models. Th new RS7 is absolutely beautiful, it’s low and wide and sporty looking. I basically decided to preorder one. I recently made the mistake of test driving an M5C while my X3MC was being serviced. I just couldn’t resist. What a beast of a sedan! The WOT acceleration is breathtaking. I’m about to cancel my expensive RS7 preorder and pick up an M5C.
I'd love to have a RS7, but here in the UK I find the RS models hold their value better than M cars. If the RS7 drops to 60k by next year then I'd seriously consider it, however a 19 plate BMW will be cheaper to finance 🤷🏾*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to have a RS7, but here in the UK I find the RS models hold their value better than M cars. If the RS7 drops to 60k by next year then I'd seriously consider it, however a 19 plate BMW will be cheaper to finance ����*♂️
RS7 is expensive. My configured RS7 would have been 135k USD. I was offered a brand new M5C for 105k. That’s quite a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #18
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep

RS6 Avant is so much more practical than the RS7, also. The RS7 is ostensibly a 4 seat car. The RS6 Avant has more passenger and cargo space, and the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #19
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
RS6 Avant is so much more practical than the RS7, also. The RS7 is ostensibly a 4 seat car. The RS6 Avant has more passenger and cargo space, and the same engine.
Yes, but I don’t like wagons.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #20
Fireblade1000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3X

Quote:
Hi all,

First post here so please go easy on me

I'm looking to buy an M5 next year. However being an avid Audi fan... I don't know whether to make the change or not. I currently own a A7 C8 50TDI and have had it for a year and half , but I rarely use it since buying a daily commuter A3 TDI as I do 30k per year and the A7 didn't feel special anymore. Anyway, as I put I don't really use the A7 that much, don't get me wrong it's an amazing car but I want something that is faster and has noise. I've been looking at M5s mostly because the M5 was a car I always wanted when I was growing up and plus it had 4wd now. The equivalent RS6/7 has only recently been released and for some reason in the UK in the 2nd hand market they hold their value quite well so wouldn't be able to afford a brand new one. I'm seeing M5s on auto trader from around £55k which is in budget.

The questions I need help are on the following;
- S63 engine, is it reliable? Are there any major flaws I should be aware of if I were to keep the car 3-4 years
- extended warranty, would you recommend getting one? If so what are estimated costs
- which date exactly was the pops and bangs taken off? I've heard September 2019 is that date? Hence I'll be looking for a pre September 2019 model.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. The only other choice of car other than this id want is a RS5 sportback, but before the A7 I had a B9 A4 for 2.5 years so wouldn't want the same interior again... so yeah any help would be great in making a choice. Of course I'll test drive before I buy but some information now would be great.

Sorry for the long post ��

Thanks

Sukhraj Hira
Have a look at my thread mate very relevant to your query and see where I ended up

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641343
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Quote:
Yes I know. But 2nd hand they're similar in price, hence me asking the question. I'd love a new gen RS7 but I'm not paying £100k for a brand new one.
There seems to be a prestige status on the RSs, in the states too. Partially due to the lower production number, and much less sales number wise when compare to the Ms and AMGs. I'd say if the having the Audi brand image doesn't translate to the price difference go for the M5! It doesn't hold value as well but you get a hell a lot of car too!

RS5 SB looks sweet though... But if you like that size and want the performance I'd genuinely suggest you to look for the slightly used, almost new 2018 M3 comp. Fully loaded, CS even, those are sweet buys right now! and late model year will always stay desirable afterwards.
      04-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #22
H1R4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade1000 View Post
Have a look at my thread mate very relevant to your query and see where I ended up

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641343

Hi mate, think you've posted on Audisport with your RS5!, same opinions as you regarding the interior tech, no touch screen and old style virtual cockpit (which I've already experienced for 2.5 years in my A4).

Good to see you back in an M5 again! Hopefully it's treating you well. Thank you for your reply, has helped a lot.
Appreciate 1