BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    If your M5C GOT totaled what car would you get (no m5)

03-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #45
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

M8 comp GC if speaking of a true replacement for M5 Comp lease. But to own one for long term, a 992 C4S or GTS.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I'm not sure I consider it 'stupid' from someone who can't spell 'lose'... but got ya point anyway. Oh, and "+lol"--almost forgot to add the suffix of Internet immunity. I guess your use of 'coming this year' vs. 'tomorrow', 'now' and 'life is too short' aren't in any way related or contradicktory (<- yup, I know).
Attachment 2255176
Live for now, life is too short.
I'm clearly being the middle part of contra-dick-tory here myself but your avatar, signature and comment were in such opposition, I couldn't help myself.

I'm living for today, man--price be damned!

PS: yes, I just bought one... so the bias is aplenty.
Loose is English "lose" means you have lost already, You yanks........ lol.
      03-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #47
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure I consider it 'stupid' from someone who can't spell 'lose'... but got ya point anyway. Oh, and "+lol"--almost forgot to add the suffix of Internet immunity. I guess your use of 'coming this year' vs. 'tomorrow', 'now' and 'life is too short' aren't in any way related or contradicktory (<- yup, I know).
Attachment 2255176
Live for now, life is too short.
I'm clearly being the middle part of contra-dick-tory here myself but your avatar, signature and comment were in such opposition, I couldn't help myself.

I'm living for today, man--price be damned!

PS: yes, I just bought one... so the bias is aplenty.
Loose is English "lose" means you have lost already, You yanks........ lol.

Nice try, buddy, but I'm as British (limey) as I suspect you are.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #48
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

Dam guys so I'm still stuck on a m5 comp lol went to dealer today car was loaded 128k knocked him 15koff the price and sat in the car soon as I saw the NEW cluster made me think I only want a 19 comp idk is that a bad deal breaker ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #49
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOOSTU View Post
Dam guys so I'm still stuck on a m5 comp lol went to dealer today car was loaded 128k knocked him 15koff the price and sat in the car soon as I saw the NEW cluster made me think I only want a 19 comp idk is that a bad deal breaker ?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and the rest of the upgraded tech including the transmission makes it a no-brainer.

I don't get why everyone is transfixed on the new cluster--it takes no time to get used to. Find someone with a 2020 M5 and see if they hate it... or even dislike it enough to make them wish for a '19. I suspect that's a difficult person to find... I could be wrong, of course, but this is the direction and there's enough other goodness to learn to like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #50
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

All in good humor.
      03-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #51
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:

All in good humor.
Absolutely!

If you deliberately spelled 'humor' as the Americans do—very clever... and subtle, too. I almost missed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #52
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Not in any order but based on my driving needs and styles:

M8 Coupe CE
992 C4S or C2s
Maclaren GT or 600 LT
AMG GT63S

With the M8 I get more of the same with a twist in looks and interior vs my 2018 First Edition. I would just need to do spacers and maybe exhaust and move my RaceChip over.

I drove the new 992- an amazing car with "only" 450 hp. What Porsche does with the chassis dynamics and power deliver is flat out amazing for such lesser hp/tq car than what the F90 is.

Never had a Macca- want one to just to enjoy the performance and the depreciation LOL.

I drove the AMG GT63S once, I need to drive it again as the exhaust sound and steering impressed but the speed was off compared to my F90 (I turned my RC off during that day to compare more fairly). The GT63S is a polarizing car though and its definitely unique and costly. It deserves another try out on the streets and tuned ones are running about 10.6x at 129/130 and thats all I need (OBD2).

This is all of course based on the OP's narrative.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
gblansten1976.50
      04-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #53
M5speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Garage List
I just traded in my '20 M5 Competition for the new Taycan Turbo S. I've been an M5 fan for years, have had three different models and have always felt it was my dream car, until driving the Porsche.

Instant (better by a lot, 2.4 secs 0-60) acceleration, air suspension, smoother ride (by a ton), albeit with more weight, which doesn't help in turns when pushing hard, nor does the price, but it is the future and while its bittersweet that it is quiet (still has a spaceship sound which you've got to see to appreciate), it is thrilling/addictive & makes you want to spend as much time as possible behind the wheel. People look at it like it's a UFO and the power is really just incredible.

It's faster than a new 911 Turbo S. Probably the Taycan Turbo (non s model) would be comparable to the M5 in speed and cost, but once you try it, you'll immediately see that we're likely about to experience a monumental change in the way cars will be driven in the next 5-10 years. Costs $3-4 to charge each night and would whoop anything out there in the usable mph range 0-80 mph. It gets a little slower with speed because of the high wind resistance. Best weapon of choice for high speed 60-130mph pull would be a Mclaren 720S, but there's no practicality and its just too much to spend in my opinion.

Anyhow Im just saying form one enthusiast to another - If you ever get the itch, its a damn cool car. No heads up display though oddly enough.

Beside it currently, I have a '19 911 Turbo S, and it feels light years behind in terms of technology, but I still love it. Its just classic.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #54
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5speed View Post
I just traded in my '20 M5 Competition for the new Taycan Turbo S. I've been an M5 fan for years, have had three different models and have always felt it was my dream car, until driving the Porsche.

Instant (better by a lot, 2.4 secs 0-60) acceleration, air suspension, smoother ride (by a ton), albeit with more weight, which doesn't help in turns when pushing hard, nor does the price, but it is the future and while its bittersweet that it is quiet (still has a spaceship sound which you've got to see to appreciate), it is thrilling/addictive & makes you want to spend as much time as possible behind the wheel. People look at it like it's a UFO and the power is really just incredible.

It's faster than a new 911 Turbo S. Probably the Taycan Turbo (non s model) would be comparable to the M5 in speed and cost, but once you try it, you'll immediately see that we're likely about to experience a monumental change in the way cars will be driven in the next 5-10 years. Costs $3-4 to charge each night and would whoop anything out there in the usable mph range 0-80 mph. It gets a little slower with speed because of the high wind resistance. Best weapon of choice for high speed 60-130mph pull would be a Mclaren 720S, but there's no practicality and its just too much to spend in my opinion.

Anyhow Im just saying form one enthusiast to another - If you ever get the itch, its a damn cool car. No heads up display though oddly enough.

Beside it currently, I have a '19 911 Turbo S, and it feels light years behind in terms of technology, but I still love it. Its just classic.
Congrats on the Taycan. They truly are a revolutionary vehicle. I spent 1/2 a day with one for testing. Agree with most of your comments above. I didn’t like the zero rear window visibility, but it has an awesome camera to compensate. At 5400lbs it handles well. Launch Control is interesting as it pulls almost level, since the front is pulling so HARD.

I also have a 19 TTS. Based on my Dragy, the Taycan is quicker to 60 both pure stock. The 19 TTS is slightly quicker in the 1/4 since it runs 10.4 at 131.

After a Cobb tune, the 19TTS is now quicker everywhere.

Taycan is the future. It does have a lot of interior tech that the 19 TTS does not even approach. Taycan’s biggest negative for me , is it’s not visceral. Other than that, it’s the real deal and will only get faster over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #55
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

M8 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #56
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Congrats on the new car, I'm sure she's a beauty but...

04-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #57
Archimedes65
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Just curious, and a little off topic, but, how was your ownership experience? I've heard nothing but horror stories about the V10 TDI.

Reminds me of this article -> https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-...1822934503/amp
Just saw this and had to laugh. I had one of the very first run V8 Touaregs and it was an absolute nightmare. Was so happy to watch the dealer drive away in it when I traded it in after two years of ownership.

I also learned that the only thing worse than a VW, was a VW dealer. Their dealer network is atrocious.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      04-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #58
M5speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Garage List
Here are a couple pics of the car as it is and also one of how it'll look after the wheels get powder coated black this week. Never been a huge fan of white, but I was willing to give it a try to try something different. I wanted to wait on Mamba green, but thought it was a risky color as it looks very 70's in the direct sun.

Also to comment on the lack of being visceral, you're 100% right. It's very weird, however what I've noticed which may be important to mention is that the feeling you get is that of doing the same speed and acceleration of the M5 or 911, without having to feel like you're hustling.
You still get a rush, but not near as much. It's biased to being much more of a luxury car.

Heres a link to the Taycan Turbo (non s model I believe) hitting the Nurburgring to show just how weird it is. They completed it in 7:42, which is 4 seconds behind the F90 Competition. https://youtu.be/8m31EgQkswg

Also here is another link to the Taycan's Superbowl commercial which kind of shows it from all angles comparing to their other cars. Its a little cheesy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92sXWVxRr0g

Thats it! Im done. No more fanboy talk from me. It's just time though that we start hanging on to some of these older classics before they become extinct so we have a way to have fun and remember how fun and visceral these cars used to be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Dimitri314.50
      04-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #59
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Here are a couple pics of the car as it is and also one of how it'll look after the wheels get powder coated black this week. Never been a huge fan of white, but I was willing to give it a try to try something different. I wanted to wait on Mamba green, but thought it was a risky color as it looks very 70's in the direct sun.

Also to comment on the lack of being visceral, you're 100% right. It's very weird, however what I've noticed which may be important to mention is that the feeling you get is that of doing the same speed and acceleration of the M5 or 911, without having to feel like you're hustling.
You still get a rush, but not near as much. It's biased to being much more of a luxury car.

Heres a link to the Taycan Turbo (non s model I believe) hitting the Nurburgring to show just how weird it is. They completed it in 7:42, which is 4 seconds behind the F90 Competition. https://youtu.be/8m31EgQkswg

Also here is another link to the Taycan's Superbowl commercial which kind of shows it from all angles comparing to their other cars. Its a little cheesy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92sXWVxRr0g

Thats it! Im done. No more fanboy talk from me. It's just time though that we start hanging on to some of these older classics before they become extinct so we have a way to have fun and remember how fun and visceral these cars used to be.
Gorgeous Taycan! I love the Mission E wheels.
      04-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #60
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

The one I had was white also. GREAT COLOR. Pics do not do it justice. Best color for resale later on also.

Well done !
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #61
SpeedyDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Garage List
2003 E39 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I imagine I’m one of the few F90 owners who also owns an E39 M5. I would not replace the F90 with any other modern car aside from a Taycan. The E39 M5 works amazingly well as a daily driver and is more engaging to drive than the F90. Taycan is the future and is so much more desirable than a Tesla, so I’d go that route. If I didn’t want the Taycan, I’d probably by something a bit older - either an E28 M5 or an E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:57 AM   #62
Dumbo
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C, 19 720S, 19 Panigale

New Alfa GTA for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #63
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
I imagine I’m one of the few F90 owners who also owns an E39 M5. I would not replace the F90 with any other modern car aside from a Taycan. The E39 M5 works amazingly well as a daily driver and is more engaging to drive than the F90. Taycan is the future and is so much more desirable than a Tesla, so I’d go that route. If I didn’t want the Taycan, I’d probably by something a bit older - either an E28 M5 or an E30 M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
I imagine I'm one of the few F90 owners who also owns an E39 M5. I would not replace the F90 with any other modern car aside from a Taycan. The E39 M5 works amazingly well as a daily driver and is more engaging to drive than the F90. Taycan is the future and is so much more desirable than a Tesla, so I'd go that route. If I didn't want the Taycan, I'd probably by something a bit older - either an E28 M5 or an E30 M3.

Crazy that you said that about the e39 M5 I'm possibly looking to build one up for a daily or even better try to find a e28m5 ore30 lol always loved the e39 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #64
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

[QUOTE=M5speed;26112465]

The Taycan seems so much larger, longer and heavier than the F90 M5. How does it feel in the twisties?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #65
JDC PDX
Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List Below

Garage List
1990 Ferrari 348tb  [0.00]
2019 M5 Competition  [10.00]
2016 GT3 RS  [0.00]
2016 675 LT Spider  [10.00]
1997 911 RWB  [10.00]
Rivian RT1
      05-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #66
dbonebre
Rep
Drives: '22 F90C '18 F90 '16 991GTS

If not another F90, possibly the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing - MT, RWD, a swan song for such cars.
Appreciate 0