BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Whistling/Wind noise from passenger side window?

11-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Whistling/Wind noise from passenger side window?

Hey yall. I have a newly-purchased '21 LCI model.

I'm experiencing a speed-based (but starts pretty much at 15+ MPH) wind noise from my passenger side window area. It's more prominent with the window down but my wife says it's still happening with the window completely closed, it's just quieter due to the sound rejection of the glass.

At first I thought it might be that the port-installed CF mirror cap was not fully installed on the passenger side, but I inspected it and it looks to be identical around the seams as the driver's side which is silent. I don't see any obvious issues with the weather stripping / door seals. I'm starting to wonder if it might be something else.

It's not bad enough for me to take it in just for that problem, given my break-in service will come up soon I'll likely just deal with it then if it's still unsolved. In the meantime, though, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:06 PM   #2
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
My car doesn't have this problem, but it does have a rattle when driving around. The car's trim also makes cracking sounds when u press down on it, and the driver's door hinge has a dry squeaking sound when you open/close the door, and you can hear it squeaking when soft close is used. They tried to fix this door squeak twice already, and while it is "better", you can still hear it. Oh, and I recently started noticing little cracks starting to develop on the climate display screen with only 3000 miles on the clock (this issue seems to be common and covered in another thread). So, to sum it up-the build quality of the M5 ain't the best. I would guess that it is rare for you to get a perfect 100% example, and you gotta ask yourself whether the issue is big enough for the dealer to start ripping apart your interior/exterior parts and putting stuff back together.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Fantastic 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp.

I have an intermittent crack and creak over expansion strips or uneven pavement....it's annoying and surprising. I'm going to have my dealer work to get rid of it.....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #4
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Hey yall. I have a newly-purchased '21 LCI model.

I'm experiencing a speed-based (but starts pretty much at 15+ MPH) wind noise from my passenger side window area. It's more prominent with the window down but my wife says it's still happening with the window completely closed, it's just quieter due to the sound rejection of the glass.

At first I thought it might be that the port-installed CF mirror cap was not fully installed on the passenger side, but I inspected it and it looks to be identical around the seams as the driver's side which is silent. I don't see any obvious issues with the weather stripping / door seals. I'm starting to wonder if it might be something else.

It's not bad enough for me to take it in just for that problem, given my break-in service will come up soon I'll likely just deal with it then if it's still unsolved. In the meantime, though, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Funny, I'm getting the same on the driver side... thought I was crazy for a min.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Funny, I'm getting the same on the driver side... thought I was crazy for a min.
Any thoughts on where it might be coming from? Let me know if you take it in and find out what it is. I'll do the same (though it may be a little while).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:23 AM   #6
calbear550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2020 X4MC (retired)

I had some whistling from the drivers side rear a/c vent right that's located right by the drivers ear. I had it closed and the rear a/c was on low-medium. I could hear it slightly with the radio off. Opening the vent or turning the rear a/c fixed it. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:16 AM   #7
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks but nope, it’s definitely external on the car. It gets much louder as you open the window, and it’s speed-dependent too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #8
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear550 View Post
I had some whistling from the drivers side rear a/c vent right that's located right by the drivers ear. I had it closed and the rear a/c was on low-medium. I could hear it slightly with the radio off. Opening the vent or turning the rear a/c fixed it. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but worth a shot.
I will try and update
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear550 View Post
I will try and update
Just took deliver of 21m5c and same issue… it becomes especially pronounced on highway at speeds above 70-75mph and coming from driver's window area… I came from m550 also…

I have break in service in 2 days… anything that anyone figured out?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think it comes from the side gills - perhaps not fully seated.
Appreciate 1
ellisina4235.50
      07-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I think it comes from the side gills - perhaps not fully seated.
Good point… I inspected mirror housing and door seals yesterday… will look at side grille…
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good luck - let me know how it goes especially if you find something. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

I notice the same wind/road noise around the driver's side door. It's particularly noticeable when there is a divider wall to the left of the car. I can't find where it's coming from, so please let us know if you figure it out.
      07-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So here is the update… took the car for a break-in service last Friday… drove around with SA, him driving and me in passenger seat… he heard the wind/road/whistling noise (whatever u want to call it) from driver's side window area and I also heard the same noise coming from the passenger side while I was sitting there for the first time … so it is definitely coming from both front window areas… and this was on a completely different highway from the one I initially started hearing the noise.

SA looked at STBs and there was nothing that he could find…

I also checked door seals and fender grilles and everything was secured.

It does not matter if I am driving next to concrete divider wall or in the most right lane…

Again, the noise become more pronounced at speeds above 75mph and gets fairly loud at 85… and no, I can't slow down lol…

Any suggestions or similar experiences

Thank u all
Appreciate 0