BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Tint Removal on F90s

03-23-2024, 09:04 AM   #1
DIC Boats
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Comp

Tint Removal on F90s

Hi all,

I need to remove tint on side windows and rear windshield to pass inspection.

I know the rear can be a delicate issue. Does anyone know what the risk is? Is it that it messes up the radio or the heating elements?

Also, any suggestions on removal or tips on good places to go in the greater Boston area?

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #2
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

Funny that you mention it. I just pulled all the tint from my F90 since it came form Texas and it was way over legal.

Pulling the film is easy. Removing the adhesive is the PITA. I've done all the windows but the rear. The thing that concerns me is using a scraper with the heating elements. Hard to imagine not damaging them.

For all the other windows I simply scraped off as much as I could (and there was a lot) and used adhesive remover to wipe of the remainder.

If I were to use only a solvent it would take a while and use a lot towels. I'm hoping to be able to carefully scrape off the adhesive between the heating elements and still use a lot of solvent to remove the rest. I will also try plastic scrapers to see if that improve the situation without damaging the heating elements.

But I may wait until summer to let the heat help me. I had not choice but to do it now in the front windows so I could see and not get pulled over.

But FYI, you can just pull the film and pass inspection. The adhesive is clear, but it is still there. I would STRONGLY recommend removing the adhesive at least from the windshield and front windows ASAP so that it doesn't interfere with defrosting/defogging.

Last edited by FC; 03-26-2024 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 08:00 PM   #3
DIC Boats
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Funny that you mention it. I just pulled all the tint from my F90 since it came form Texas and it was way over legal.

Pulling the film is easy. Removing the adhesive is the PITA. I've done all the windows but the rear. The thing that concerns me is using a scraper with the heating elements. Hard to imagine not damaging them.

For all the other windows I simply scraped off as much as I could (and there was a lot) and used adhesive remover to wipe of the remainder.

If I were to use only a solvent it would take a while and use a lot towels. I'm hoping to be able to carefully scrape off the adhesive between the heating elements and still use a lot of solvent to remove the rest. I will also try plastic scrapers to see if that improve the situation without damaging the heating elements.

But I may wait until summer to let the heat help me. I had not choice but to do it now in the front windows so I could see and not get pulled over.

But FYI, you can just pull the film and pass inspection. The adhesive is clear, but it is still there. I would STRONGLY recommend removing the adhesive at least from the windshield and front windows ASAP so that it doesn't interfere with defrosting/defogging.
Hey thanks for the info and thoughts. I’ll likely send it to a shop to remove the windows (yes - lazy of me but it’s not that expensive). But the rear is a real problem - not even dealers will touch it. Couple local spots also basically told me there’s a high likelihood of damaging the radio wire that runs through - they want me to basically indemnify them before they do it. So annoying to think I might have to replace the rear windshield altogether.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:27 PM   #4
Nocera
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3, 2015 X5, 2018 M5

If done properly, removing tint should leave no adhesive on the glass. Simply heat the tint with a heat gun as you're pulling off the film. The glue will stick to the film and leave the glass totally clean.

Here's a video demonstrating how to use the heat gun:
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:30 PM   #5
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

I used this bc adhesive was left behind.. Tints are wack.
Appreciate 0