BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Introducing the 2019 BMW M5 Competition! Pricing Starts at $110,995

05-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #133
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
When you look at the cost premium of the competition model over the base model the difference is $7,400. The F10 Comp Package cost $7,300. I obviously don't know for sure, but I'd be surprised if a frozen individual paint color and full leather interior is included. My guess is that is the chosen configuration for the "launch vehicle", and they are pointing out in the marketing materials that those features are optional extras. Just one man's guess.
Come on, it's BMW, of course frozen paint and full leather not included They will charge you just to raise the speed limit.

As for the worry only one color is available, someone just posted CP introduction video in another thread, that car is white, so there you go.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #134
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Yea I'm not liking how they m-sportified the diffuser.
Agree completely. I’ll be turning mine back body color along with switching a number of the gloss black pieces back to body color or chrome.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #135
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
It just breaks my brain that people are whining about products being released TOO SOON - what world are we living in? I'd much rather have the option sooner rather than later.

[portions deleted]

Hey guys I really hope they delay the 8 series a year so that I can enjoy the other car I bought for longer - this doesn't make sense aside from people who want to delay progress so their thing can be the "prettiest" for as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
This is 100% the reason...they don't like to have an "outdated" model. But this is very typical for BMW. If you want a performance car that doesn't change go get a hellcat or a vette. Or a car that has limited production buy a Gt500 or GT350, Ford typically only has these specialty cars out for 2 MY's and then goes dark for 5 years before they release a new version.

BMW is like Apple, you can expect a newer updated model almost every year, and then a major refresh every 5-7 years

Next time do your homework, and see what is coming on the horizon, and ask yourself if you can wait for the next best thing. But i promise if you wait, BMW will have something else they are announcing and you might want to wait for that instead and it will be an endless cycle.

My guess is if you can afford a $110k car, you can afford to take a depreciation hit and get the updated model, and actually BMW is banking on you doing this and why they make these model changes each year.

If you dont like this business model, go with a different manufacturer. But please stop complaining about it..........

The beef being voiced in this thread is not that BMW should SLOW down technology or roll out new models slower. Its actually the exact opposite: that BMW should release the CP model simultaneous with the base model M5 (paralleling Mercedes' business model which BMW is taking a cue from). That way BMW makes more potential sales, and all buyers get the option to spend more money if they want.

While some in this thread think that early adopters shouldn't be dissatisfied - whether or not they should be, doesn't change the fact that many are. BMW didn't have to have that. They could have had their cake and eaten it too. Roll out simultaneously. Keep early adopters satisfied. And make even more potential sales of the Comp Pack variant (and if they're lucky maybe even siphon sales away from MB from people who bought the e63s).

No one here is saying "Hold off on rolling out the Comp pack for a year or two." They're' saying: why the fuck did you roll out the comp pack like two months after opening orders for the base model, when you could have done it simultaneously.

Its a fair argument and shouldn't be dismissed. Incremental customer migration to other brands, and consumer satisfaction (even on a micro level), is an eminently important concern for companies like BMW. They invest millions and millions to study consumer reaction, and maximize repeat customers.

This is simply an unforced error from BMW.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 05-09-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
Cacou13.00
Brake_Late1936.50
Simple1133.50
      05-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #136
midwestmfan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 17 Porsche 991.2 GTS

For those who read these sites regularly it should be no surprise to see the new comp package being released now. We can debate the merits of BMW releasing it so soon after the F90 launch but it is a fact. Personally having previously owned a14MY F10 Comp I had ordered an F90 HEA but canceled the order when it became apparent the new comp package would follow soon. Now we have it, and I'm considering to re-order as a 2019 model - but hoping for some addtl colors - esp a sakhir interior. Meanwhile I have an LCI F87 which is a lot of fun and really reflects the traditional DNA of "M"
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #137
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Instead of everyone jumping on the 1st release, guess everyone should always wait for each model Comp version from now on.
That's like telling people not to buy a 2017 M5 because the 2018 is coming out. Same with the rest of technology (phones, TV's, PC's, etc.).

Besides, the ones that rush to purchase the early models are the ones that list them for sale for cheaper prices because they want to jump ship to the newer models. This means good second hand deals for the rest of us who are able to wait.
      05-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #138
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The beef being voiced in this thread is not that BMW should SLOW down technology or roll out new models slower. Its actually the exact opposite: that BMW should release the CP model simultaneous with the base model M5 (paralleling Mercedes' business model which BMW is taking a cue from). That way BMW makes more potential sales, and all buyers get the option to spend more money if they want.

While some in this thread think that early adopters shouldn't be dissatisfied - whether or not they should be, doesn't change the fact that many are. BMW didn't have to have that. They could have had their cake and eaten it too. Roll out simultaneously. Keep early adopters satisfied. And make even more potential sales of the Comp Pack variant (and if they're lucky maybe even siphon sales away from MB from people who bought the e63s).

No one here is saying "Hold off on rolling out the Comp pack for a year or two." They're' saying: why the fuck did you roll out the comp pack like two months after opening orders for the base model, when you could have done it simultaneously.

Its a fair argument and shouldn't be dismissed. Incremental customer migration to other brands, and consumer satisfaction (even on a micro level), is an eminently important concern for companies like BMW. They invest millions and millions to study consumer reaction, and maximize repeat customers.

As someone picking up my F90 in 2 days, I'm perfectly satisfied, but, I do believe you summed up this argument perfectly and I agree with everything you said.

I'm happy with my outcome, but it would have been nice to have the choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #139
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Not sure what the surprise is. BMW did the same on the F10... there were rumors from Day #1 of a Competition. If a buyer really wanted the ZCP, they should have waited. There are several reasons people want the latest and greatest:

1. The attention from going to a car meet or whatever with everyone ogling the rare F90 m5 only lasts 6 months. 90% of folks can't tell the difference to a regular 5 series.
2. Actual performance of the car and suiting their preference
3. Having the newest model at any given time

People can chose to spend their $$ in any which way they want. No point in blaming BMW... they can control supply and hence the market and buying patterns. I am sure they have some MBA types analyzing all these scenarios!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #140
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

$111k... wow
      05-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #141
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

love it but the COMPETITION badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 2
esquire477.50
Brake_Late1936.50
      05-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #142
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well shit... I was all in on it until I saw that rear bumper. It looks nearly identical to the M550i.

Name:  rear.png
Views: 896
Size:  648.7 KB
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #143
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

So this isn't LCI?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #144
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Well shit... I was all in on it until I saw that rear bumper. It looks nearly identical to the M550i.

Attachment 1821571
Don't worry 2020 M5 CSL will go back to painted diffuser
Appreciate 1
esquire477.50
      05-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #145
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
It just breaks my brain that people are whining about products being released TOO SOON - what world are we living in? I'd much rather have the option sooner rather than later.

[portions deleted]

Hey guys I really hope they delay the 8 series a year so that I can enjoy the other car I bought for longer - this doesn't make sense aside from people who want to delay progress so their thing can be the "prettiest" for as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
This is 100% the reason...they don't like to have an "outdated" model. But this is very typical for BMW. If you want a performance car that doesn't change go get a hellcat or a vette. Or a car that has limited production buy a Gt500 or GT350, Ford typically only has these specialty cars out for 2 MY's and then goes dark for 5 years before they release a new version.

BMW is like Apple, you can expect a newer updated model almost every year, and then a major refresh every 5-7 years

Next time do your homework, and see what is coming on the horizon, and ask yourself if you can wait for the next best thing. But i promise if you wait, BMW will have something else they are announcing and you might want to wait for that instead and it will be an endless cycle.

My guess is if you can afford a $110k car, you can afford to take a depreciation hit and get the updated model, and actually BMW is banking on you doing this and why they make these model changes each year.

If you dont like this business model, go with a different manufacturer. But please stop complaining about it..........

Just like pre LCI then LCI ...comp package game now
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #146
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Not sure what the surprise is. BMW did the same on the F10... there were rumors from Day #1 of a Competition. If a buyer really wanted the ZCP, they should have waited. There are several reasons people want the latest and greatest:

1. The attention from going to a car meet or whatever with everyone ogling the rare F90 m5 only lasts 6 months. 90% of folks can't tell the difference to a regular 5 series.

People can chose to spend their $$ in any which way they want. No point in blaming BMW... they can control supply and hence the market and buying patterns. I am sure they have some MBA types analyzing all these scenarios!
I agree. There should be no surprise at all.

Does everyone need a reminder of the F90 M5 models on offer for MY18 in Australia;

• M5 First Edition (limited to 400 cars)

• M5 Launch Edition (limited to first model year)

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future. Unless they are just going to sell the M5 Competition after the MY18 cars are sold out

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #147
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
$111k... wow
Good price
"Starting tho "

The sticker on my X5 was $111k the other day ...loaded, not starting @
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #148
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
Good price
"Starting tho "

The sticker on my X5 was $111k the other day ...loaded, not starting @
I've got the release date of the new x5m if you want it
Appreciate 1
esquire477.50
      05-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #149
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
Quote:

Does everyone need a reminder of the F90 M5 models on offer for MY18;

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future.
They are the same aren't they? Thought first edition and launch edition are the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #150
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Put my deposit down today..MY2019 M5 Competition Pack. Just waiting now for an order guide and dealer allocation.

Was invited to a track event last weekend and in 1 particular session, a M5 MY016 CompPack squared off against a Porsche 911 TurboS MY2018. The M5 maintained, then gradually increased, their lead over the TurboS for the 25 minutes allocated to the open session. Was a great race to watch. I was totally impressed with the earlier generation comp pack.

For all the "bitching betty's" out there..trade in and up if your not happy. OR finish out your lease looking for the next cool M release. I get the feeling there is another iteration in the M5 camp coming. I'm surely not going to be pissed if they come out with something crazier.

Cheers..speed safely.

05-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #151
ljb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future.
They are the same aren't they? Thought first edition and launch edition are the same.
This maybe just the case for Australia. But suggests that there is an actual base model coming globally.

Models are the launch and first edition.
Launch edition is what people are currently calling the "base model" only 50 units for MY18 in Australia. And then the launch models are discontinued.

First edition is the matte red car limited to 400 units globally.

Once these units are all sold something is in the pipe line to be the actual base model M5 to be sold along side the M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #152
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This maybe just the case for Australia. But suggests that there is an actual base model coming globally.

Models are the launch and first edition.
Launch edition is what people are currently calling the "base model" only 50 units for MY18 in Australia. And then the launch models are discontinued.

First edition is the matte red car limited to 400 units globally.

Once these units are all sold something is in the pipe line to be the actual base model M5 to be sold along side the M5 Competition.
Yeah I googled, seems to be an Australia thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #153
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phefner View Post
Put my deposit down today..MY2019 M5 Competition Pack. Just waiting now for an order guide and dealer allocation.

Was invited to a track event last weekend and in 1 particular session, a M5 MY016 CompPack squared off against a Porsche 911 TurboS MY2018. The M5 maintained, then gradually increased, their lead over the TurboS for the 25 minutes allocated to the open session. Was a great race to watch. I was totally impressed with the earlier generation comp pack.

For all the "bitching betty's" out there..trade in and up if your not happy. OR finish out your lease looking for the next cool M release. I get the feeling there is another iteration in the M5 camp coming. I'm surely not going to be pissed if they come out with something crazier.

Cheers..speed safely.

2018 911 Turbo S did 7:17 in SA's test and 7:54 was F10 CP's time so all this tells me is the person in the M5 was a much better driver.

But I have the F10 and yes it is a very nice car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #154
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

Quote:

I agree. I put a deposit on my m5 last August.
I wanted to be first to get a m4 back in 2014, I had to settle for launch colours. If I waited 3-4 months I could have done individual.
I told my self never again. I got offered a launch edition model, I said no thank you, let me know when I can get a individual colour. Then we had multiple rumblings of a competition package, I said I'll wait until end of May, if nothing announced I'll just order a individual M5 and not wait for competition.

Current new M5 owners have no one to blame but themselves. Righting was on the wall. We all knew this was coming since before Geneva auto show.

Past:
2019 M5 Comp
2015 M4
Appreciate 0