BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Extensive options list of upcoming F90 M5

04-22-2016, 01:38 AM   #45
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer
Since they're offering Bowers & Wilkins, will that replace the Bang & Olufsen option?
That is the replacement. The Bang & Olufsen Beolab Acoustic lens automotive systems are very difficult to integrate into mass production vehicles. Harmann acquired Bowers & Wilkins so the need for a dedicated second Amplifier and networking bus isn't necessary to provide a high performance premium sound system. The B&W in the 7 sounds significantly better and has a broader range of performance to suit more listeners preference without sacrificing quality. It utilizes an upgraded Harmann amp for easier interface, Dirac DSP, and B&W Diamond Speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #46
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Nothing new here. Doesn't even have the laser headlamps.

Not sure it has anything worthwhile that my current M5 doesn't have.
Laser Headlights are Market specific.
What is driving assistance plus? The previous M5 was deprived of active cruise control. Does this one have it?

Also now that Porsche has 4 wheel steering on the Turbo and GT3, will we now see it on an M Car or do only non M cars get this advanced tech?
ACC will be on the F90. It may also be a new "version" that supports new capabilities such as active over-take and fully autonomous driving up to 150km/h.

Other Vehicle Dynamics Systems are receiving an overhaul as well and new features will appear on the F90. As these systems have evolved, they've gone from reactive, semi-active, active, predictive and now-proactive. A hint:

Mapping of every popular race track has been occurring and continues.

I know rear wheel steering is being evaluated. There are subtle hints in the videos and spy photos to support this. As to which system specifically would appear in production, that is if it does, is unknown. The BMW Integral Active Steering as known is coupled. Both left and right rear toe links are coupled with a central actuator to change the virtual toe link point of the rear wheels. The Porsche System is independent to each strut and uses a variable toe link with static points. This allows one wheel to be independently "steered" in certain situations (lift off snap oversteer for example), or both wheels in tandem. The latter type is the most appropriate for an ///M vehicle application.

DSC should be the next evolution of Bosch VDC 9+ and include more settings that retain the safety functions, but also enhance the performance potential. There will be the usual "off" setting allowing near complete driver responsibility (ABS and other Active Safety Features still remain active as they do now).

With all this tech and AWD, comes some weight gain. To offset this and take advantage of CLAR, the F90 will have some slight differences to the G30 (more expensive). It is my understanding now, the G30 will not be using Carbon Core but the F90 will use part of it. Magnesium, Aluminum, CFRP, and Carbon Fiber will be more prevalent to try and achieve a weight loss of 75-150kg.

The engine will be a Twin Turbo V8 with an output of 610-640bhp and feature Water Injection. The S63 designation will most likely remain, but it is not the S63TU2 in the F85/86. More than one technical variant may appear as well.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #47
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
..."WiFi HotSpot",...Really!
      08-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #48
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
....."The B&W in the 7 sounds significantly better and has a broader range of performance to suit more listeners preference without sacrificing quality. It utilizes an upgraded Harmann amp for easier interface, Dirac DSP, and B&W Diamond Speakers."
Says who! All I know is the B&O is the best sounding OEM factory car audio system I've ever heard,...in any car ever! How can this claim be made on a car that has yet to be sold?
      08-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #49
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Says who! All I know is the B&O is the best sounding OEM factory car audio system I've ever heard,...in any car ever! How can this claim be made on a car that has yet to be sold?
Bowers and Wilkins are top performers for sure

Check out the Volvo XC90 reviews out there that have the B&W system
Appreciate 0