BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Next generation BMW M5 (F90) prototype first sighting! Spy Photos, Videos, Info

07-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #89
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

In before..."those rims are ugly!" and "WTF are they thinking with those lights!"

Looks like the car isn't getting any larger which is refreshing, as is the slightly taller greenhouse and dramatic classic BMW sedan roofline- very e46.. or f30 or....

07-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #90
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdeshpa View Post
Cut the sarcasm, you are a BMW employee, unprofessional to get sarcastic with customers and fans
Haha, I see your skin is much thinner than the camo... clearly you can understand the mild frustration with such ridiculous persistently lack witted comments.
      07-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #91
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The next M5 I am not familiar with. But I do know there is excitement at Garching. Excitement because they have a very good weight balance to begin with by the use of the Carbon Core. The engine will be the reworked V8 but although I do not know the specification. I do know that it will be the most innovative M5 model yet and that the engine will be a major source for this innovation to be showcased. As will the body of the car itself,we will see some interesting application to this new M5.
As development progresses and I look at the direction of each BMW Division (BMW ///M and BMW i), I now feel that the next generation of M5 and M6 will not have a Hybrid Assist Drive Train, as I think that technology is just not far enough along yet for it to be feasible within the next 3-5 years in a lower cost consumer performance car (i.e. not a LaFerrari or P1). It would also cross pollinate the two BMW's brands too much I think.

I know the next M5 and M6 will feature a lot of innovation as every generation does, but I feel that ///M's decision to use the same exact engine setup (another Twin Turbo V8 design) as the last generation, is in a word "disappointing." They have never really done this before (if you don't count the X5M/X6M) and even if they completely reworked the S63tu or came up with another design but one that uses the same Hot V setup, I'm sure it will be good but nothing special anymore. Besides, we pretty much now know that M is going to limit the output of their engines to 600hp in the foreseeable future for M cars and because of this, it simply means that any innovation towards more horsepower simply won't happen. No, I predict that M's future goals in the engine department are to produce an engine that is more efficient both in terms of power delivery and fuel consumption. There are several things I'm sure that they are working on with the next M5 powerplant, all of which are not a surprise; making the engine lighter, increasing the efficiency of the turbos, more torque, better fuel efficiency, etc, etc... I say if they are going to stick with the same exact formula as before, another Hot-V Twin Turbo V8, how about making it more exciting by giving it an 8,500rpm redline? At least give us that! McLaren makes it work, why can't M?? How about a 3.8L Hot V Twin Turbo V8 that makes 600hp and 600tq, has an 8,500rpm redline and gets 27mpg on the highway? Is this beyond M's capability today or within the next couple of years? I really feel like we can't expect anything from BMW M engines that is going to knock our socks off in terms of exoticness any more. I'm not asking for another S54 I6, S65 V8, or S85 V10 engine from M, I'm asking for another engine that gives the same feeling of visceralality as those engines give, turbo or not. The new Alfa Guilia engine sounds fantastic by the way, and that is a turbo engine. BMW M has always had the capability to do so but now simply lacks either the will or the permission to do that again and that is what is driving me away from the brand as much as I love it.

I'm just lucky the S63tu sounds good with a proper exhaust as it was a most difficult transition from the 5.0L V10 S85. I won't be buying the G90 M5 for a myriad of reasons most likely, but the engine will be a big reason why I won't if they don't give it any flare.

Last edited by RPiM5; 07-14-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
clbmw631.00
      07-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #92
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Nice attitude.

Quote:
Wow! You can see through panels?
Why wouldn't assume that then? Hmmm, let me think... Could it be becuase all the recent designs have been evolutionary?

Know something we don't? Then share it and enlighten us.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #93
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
As development progresses and I look at the direction of each BMW Division (BMW ///M and BMW i), I now feel that the next generation of M5 and M6 will not have a Hybrid Assist Drive Train, as I think that technology is just not far enough along yet for it to be feasible within the next 3-5 years in a lower cost consumer performance car (i.e. not a LaFerrari or P1). It would also cross pollinate the two BMW's brands too much I think.

I know the next M5 and M6 will feature a lot of innovation as every generation does, but I feel that ///M's decision to use the same exact engine setup (another Twin Turbo V8 design) as the last generation, is in a word "disappointing." They have never really done this before (if you don't count the X5M/X6M) and even if they completely reworked the S63tu or came up with another design but one that uses the same Hot V setup, I'm sure it will be good but nothing special anymore. Besides, we pretty much now know that M is going to limit the output of their engines to 600hp in the foreseeable future for M cars and because of this, it simply means that any innovation towards more horsepower simply won't happen. No, I predict that M's future goals in the engine department are to produce an engine that is more efficient both in terms of power delivery and fuel consumption. There are several things I'm sure that they are working on with the next M5 powerplant, all of which are not a surprise; making the engine lighter, increasing the efficiency of the turbos, more torque, better fuel efficiency, etc, etc... I say if they are going to stick with the same exact formula as before, another Hot-V Twin Turbo V8, how about making it more exciting by giving it an 8,500rpm redline? At least give us that! McLaren makes it work, why can't M?? How about a 3.8L Hot V Twin Turbo V8 that makes 600hp and 600tq, has an 8,500rpm redline and gets 27mpg on the highway? Is this beyond M's capability today or within the next couple of years? I really feel like we can't expect anything from BMW M engines that is going to knock our socks off in terms of exoticness any more. I'm not asking for another S54 I6, S65 V8, or S85 V10 engine from M, I'm asking for another engine that gives the same feeling of visceralality as those engines give, turbo or not. The new Alfa Guilia engine sounds fantastic by the way, and that is a turbo engine. BMW M has always had the capability to do so but now simply lacks either the will or the permission to do that again and that is what is driving me away from the brand as much as I love it.

I'm just lucky the S63tu sounds good with a proper exhaust as it was a most difficult transition from the 5.0L V10 S85. I won't be buying the G90 M5 for a myriad of reasons most likely, but the engine will be a big reason why I won't if they don't give it any flare.
If you are wanting Hybrid-assist then you can choose the BMW 550e which will have around (as ceiling) 500 PS.
      07-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #94
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:

I agree with you completely. Just one thing is definitely not going to happen. To increase the redline, the stroke has to be shorter and the bore wider. As the engine is, honestly, definitely based on the N63, there is no way that they will drastically change the Engine layout. Another problem is the power/torque delivery. It would have to be completely recalibrated with the valve timing, and M division doesn't have enough money or time to make these changes. You can definitely expect a S63 with maybe 10 more HP, more torque and higher efficiency. Not more beyond that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #95
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Here we gooooooo
      07-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #96
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Too many spokes
      07-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #97
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Quote:
Cut the sarcasm, you are a BMW employee, unprofessional to get sarcastic with customers and fans
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Why wouldn't assume that then? Hmmm, let me think... Could it be becuase all the recent designs have been evolutionary?

Know something we don't? Then share it and enlighten us.
Thank you gentlemen

Respect

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #98
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
I think he meant the smaller car lost more weight, proportionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
You're absolutely right about the A4 being lighter than the 7 series. And the 3 series is lighter than the A8. Oh wait they are not in the same class so why am I comparing apples and oranges?

Never mind that was silly :
Like the more overweight you are, the easier it is to shed pounds. So the 5 and 7 have more poundage that they can lose than the smaller/lighter A4.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #99
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Dear lord this thing is titanic
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #100
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:

I hear what you mean in a lot of your points but I must say what else could they really do to make an engine more "exotic" with what they're working with. Looking at the bigger picture there is constant strain on coming up with more fuel efficient engines while the need for cool features such as individual throttle bodies etc are no longer needed. Maybe we need to come to the conclusion that the excess years of the early 2000s are gone and auto technology focuses mainly on fuel savings and turbocharging. And that is exactly what ///M is giving us.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #101
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E View Post
Looks nice with those wheels
BMW Rotiforms?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #102
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
looks like the hood design stays (i like in on the F10), but the hood cut line goes (yay!!)

very E90-esque but overall the better design
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:47 AM   #103
N & M
Captain
Rep

Happy to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post
Thank you gentlemen

Respect
I am sure you would have done the same for me.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 04:00 AM   #104
Danyutz
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
If it is optional it will not be a problem! It is necessary for some markets!
Yes, indeed! Took a visit during Spring time in Geneve and most Performance sedans were RS, not AMG or M - some markets really need an AWD option to increase numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:04 AM   #105
fsfikke
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
I think BMW cares more about sharing corporate info online

As for the title of the newspost, who came up with G90? It is definitely called F90.
And will have a 4.4l V8 with 608ps

Last edited by fsfikke; 07-15-2015 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #106
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
If you are wanting Hybrid-assist then you can choose the BMW 550e which will have around (as ceiling) 500 PS.
I don't want a Hybrid Assist. I'd rather they bring the M550d here to America. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #107
N & M
Captain
Rep

AWD Needs More Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfikke View Post

As for the title of the newspost, who came up with G90? It is definitely called F90.
With the added heft and grip that will come with AWD, it will be unwise for BMW to limit themselves to 600BHP.

In the past M used shatter all the HP milestones with each gen of cars. Today with 600 they are merely match what the market offers in terms of performance envelope. With the C class reaching 577 BHP, are they under the illusion that the next gen competitors will hold at 600 as well?

I think with the turbo tech pushing well beyond the 600 mark reliably is relatively easy and cheap so why hold back?

Also; in all clean mobility tech, BMW has led the way from diesels through electrification so they easily get away with a few M nice cars to keep us petrol heads happy.
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      07-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #108
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
I don't want a Hybrid Assist. I'd rather they bring the M550d here to America. Lol!
Won't happen, no market for the 550d.
      07-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #109
tekaefixe
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 DCT CP PureMetalSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfikke View Post

Is this 608hp number confirmed?

Thanks for clarifying
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #110
fsfikke
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekaefixe View Post
Is this 608hp number confirmed?

Thanks for clarifying
Well... not officially But Scott will be able to confirm that number in a while.
Appreciate 0