BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Cracked Ceramic Break Rotor **HELP NEEDED**

05-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #67
F90M5C
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 19 F90 M5C,17 F82 ZCP M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Pics from today
damn the CCB looks really nice.
Appreciate 1
Alberta2027.50
      05-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #68
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Based on all the surface cracks and holes, I'd say you shouldn't drive on those.
I know right
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #69
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90M5C View Post
damn the CCB looks really nice.
I like them more and more.

I really love the gold paint-job on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #70
KBM5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your wishes and concern regarding my situation.

I called the dealership today and they confirmed over the phone that the break disk would be covered under the warranty. The part is on backorder so my car is going to be down for a week or two. Regardless the dealership were kind enough to give me a courtesy car (2020 X3 ).

They did decide to only change one disk and not both up front. I don't think I want to push too hard to have both front rotors changed. They passed one under the warranty its good enough for me. I believe they are not touching the pads.

As soon as I pick up my car I will be posting the receipts of all the work done and the warranty claim passed but will be blocking off all sensitive information regarding my personal information and my car in specific. The car is also in for the 23K service (spark plugs, air filters, oil change, alignment)

Needless to say my service advisor will be getting a nice bottle of wine at the end.

Once again all your feedback and knowledge about the subject matter is very much appreciated!
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #71
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM5 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your wishes and concern regarding my situation.

I called the dealership today and they confirmed over the phone that the break disk would be covered under the warranty. The part is on backorder so my car is going to be down for a week or two. Regardless the dealership were kind enough to give me a courtesy car (2020 X3 ).

They did decide to only change one disk and not both up front. I don't think I want to push too hard to have both front rotors changed. They passed one under the warranty its good enough for me. I believe they are not touching the pads.

As soon as I pick up my car I will be posting the receipts of all the work done and the warranty claim passed but will be blocking off all sensitive information regarding my personal information and my car in specific. The car is also in for the 23K service (spark plugs, air filters, oil change, alignment)

Needless to say my service advisor will be getting a nice bottle of wine at the end.

Once again all your feedback and knowledge about the subject matter is very much appreciated!
Very happy to hear this, and they are doing the right thing. I'd be very interested to know what their list price is for one rotor.

Also I'm surprised that the spark plugs are due to be changed at 23k kilometers, but I have not been able to get a straight answer on what their service interval is. I'm betting there are people on here into 30k km with no offer of spark plugs change yet (such as myself). Perhaps you can share what your SA says about that.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #72
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

You sound like somebody a dealer would go out of their way to help.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #73
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Very happy to hear this, and they are doing the right thing. I'd be very interested to know what their list price is for one rotor.

Also I'm surprised that the spark plugs are due to be changed at 23k kilometers, but I have not been able to get a straight answer on what their service interval is. I'm betting there are people on here into 30k km with no offer of spark plugs change yet (such as myself). Perhaps you can share what your SA says about that.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I am also due for a spark plug change at 24Km
My advisor called me last week, seems like that is the interval to do them at !.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:00 PM   #74
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90M5C View Post
8k for a single rotor ?! wow my brake dust doesn't bother me anymore tbh
so happy that i skipped that option as it would have been extremely expensive with my driving style lol.

OP i really hope BMW will cover them on the warranty .

this is a one off case, obviously.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #75
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

+1 Don't share a lot with the dealer, just bring it in and show them the defect. Insist on this is a defect and not wear and tear...

Good luck and keep us posted with how the dealer handles this. Is your dealer BMW Laval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Personally I would leave out that you ever tracked it when you talk to them.....

It has nothing to do with why this happened so I just think it does nothing positive to mention this to the dealer. They might take anything they can to get out of paying. Why risk it? You want to get this taken care of as quickly and easily as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #76
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
+1 Don't share a lot with the dealer, just bring it in and show them the defect. Insist on this is a defect and not wear and tear...

Good luck and keep us posted with how the dealer handles this. Is your dealer BMW Laval?
I think you missed the most recent posts, as the dealer agreed to replace the rotor. Glad there are still good dealerships out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #77
GhostOne_322
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 CS (BSM/Red/Gold)

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I think you missed the most recent posts, as the dealer agreed to replace the rotor. Glad there are still good dealerships out there.
In warranty service is never on the dealerships dime. Dealership can only recommend that BMW cover under the factory warranty and then BMW can agree or disagree with the recommendation.

I do agree that some dealerships go over and above to push BMW to do the right thing and should be commended. But their only risk is that the owner decides not to buy a new BMW when something like this is not covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #78
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

I am glad this was resolved, but the fact is the resin based matrix used in these discs is near garbage. At 200$ a rotor, (actual profit Brembo cost not the BMW charge to clientx20), these are badly made by resin. Ceramic standards. Those cracks are the result of bubbling and likely air pockets developed during track event and expanded contracted with cold.

You are welcome to glance at my 3d needle ceramic rotors, customized for my 3 series. Solid through matrix, several of our harshest Ottawa Montreal and Saguenay winters, and still thick for 1,000,000 kilometres. They make no sounds in winter and are just fantastic. Those took 25 days to bake vs a few hours with Brembos for the resin carbon powdered ones Brembos makes..

And they weigh near half the weight of the resin ones BMW contracted Brembos to do for 200$ a rotor, before asking 5000$. Say my stock 370mm were 12.7, the needle ceramics are 4.9 kg….
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #79
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I was thinking of ceramics for the next car but am going to see how this thread plays out - BMW should take this very seriously.
All things aside. You should still 1000% do it. Although things like this hurt to see- it doesn't happen to all of us
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:37 PM   #80
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I was thinking of ceramics for the next car but am going to see how this thread plays out - BMW should take this very seriously.
All things aside. You should still 1000% do it. Although things like this hurt to see- it doesn't happen to all of us
Indeed, I got the CS and there is only one brake option
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #81
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I am glad this was resolved, but the fact is the resin based matrix used in these discs is near garbage. At 200$ a rotor, (actual profit Brembo cost not the BMW charge to clientx20), these are badly made by resin. Ceramic standards. Those cracks are the result of bubbling and likely air pockets developed during track event and expanded contracted with cold.

You are welcome to glance at my 3d needle ceramic rotors, customized for my 3 series. Solid through matrix, several of our harshest Ottawa Montreal and Saguenay winters, and still thick for 1,000,000 kilometres. They make no sounds in winter and are just fantastic. Those took 25 days to bake vs a few hours with Brembos for the resin carbon powdered ones Brembos makes..

And they weigh near half the weight of the resin ones BMW contracted Brembos to do for 200$ a rotor, before asking 5000$. Say my stock 370mm were 12.7, the needle ceramics are 4.9 kg….
So where can we buy your ceramic rotors for our cars if and when we need replacements?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #82
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post

Would like to hear how you know for certain all of these details about the manufacturing process, cost, etc.
Appreciate 0