Appreciate 1
ambletx515.50
      08-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #47
speedyunk
Rep
Drives: E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
What I will say to this - is this is a change. Originally at least - it was 592 BHP and 617 BHP - with 600 PS and 625 PS. I don’t hate to tell you Euro levels are still what was originally posted: 600 and 625 PS.

So either we get shafted 8 HP in NA or nothing actually changed - and it is 25 HP. My original spec sheet from BMW shows the packages as plus 25 HP - and if it weren’t such a pain I would take a pic and upload it.

What I know; 1-2 MPH and 1-2 tenths on average - with a peak of 130 MPH in the 1/4 is not going to be achieved by 17 HP.
No you don't get shafted 8 HP. The engines are the same in NA and the rest of the world. The reason it only shows a 17 HP difference must be a typo by BMWNA.

This article describes the difference between NA and Euro hp.

https://autoweek.com/article/technol...oweek-explains

Last edited by speedyunk; 08-21-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #48
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Owning a M5 CE I can tell you the ride is no different compared to a standard M5. Comfort mode is the same between the two cars. The 25 HP bump is noticeable - across the rev range. And for the record it isn't a 17 HP difference. There are two ratings; 592 HP which the Comp is rated at 617 and 600, which the comp is rated at 625 - simply different power ratings). The suspension on S+ is noticeable however it is stiffer and more planted than the standard car. Wheels, black trim and the better exhaust sound works for me - versus spending money on aftermarket gear. On average the Comps are 1-2 tenths quicker and 1-2 MPH faster. That said - I have come to within 3 tenths of a MPH from hitting 130 MPH in the 1/4 and most standard cars are trapping 126ish MPH. 10.8x to low 10.9x versus 11.1 to 11.0 for most standard cars. If you aren't modding - 2 tenths is still at least a full car - closer to 1.5 cars. As I am not modding this car - it was the best all round choice for me.
I feel like this is the polar opposite... Comp in Comfort felt like my outgoing F80 in sport+...

Base M5 is noticeably different from the Comp - SUSPENSION wise... The speed is negligible on city streets, ESPECIALLY Manhattan, you will never get up to full speed against Comp and base... But he will appreciate the less stiff vehicle on NYC streets which are the equivalent to Syrian roads...

You could blindfold me and throw me into the trunk and I'll be able to tell you which is Comp vs base just on ride comfort... I would NOT be able to tell if it was a Comp vs Base purely on acceleration alone...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #49
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I feel like this is the polar opposite... Comp in Comfort felt like my outgoing F80 in sport+...

Base M5 is noticeably different from the Comp - SUSPENSION wise... The speed is negligible on city streets, ESPECIALLY Manhattan, you will never get up to full speed against Comp and base... But he will appreciate the less stiff vehicle on NYC streets which are the equivalent to Syrian roads...

You could blindfold me and throw me into the trunk and I'll be able to tell you which is Comp vs base just on ride comfort... I would NOT be able to tell if it was a Comp vs Base purely on acceleration alone...
You could definitely tell on handling tho. Comp is lowered, different suspension and engine mounts, etc. It feels more buttoned down imo. Exhaust also much better. The upgrades over the base are cheaper than if I modded it myself. Many of use the Comp as a DD and do not find the ride too stiff at all and love the handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #50
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Quote:

You could definitely tell on handling tho. Comp is lowered, different suspension and engine mounts, etc. It feels more buttoned down imo. Exhaust also much better. The upgrades over the base are cheaper than if I modded it myself. Many of use the Comp as a DD and do not find the ride too stiff at all and love the handling.
Sure but there's a large number of people who aren't fortunate to live in Beverly Hills (where they pretty much pave the roads every year lol) and ride quality is important... Nobody is doubting there are people who are more than content with comp, just as there are more than enough people who are content with the base...

My post was more a comment to the person who is adamant that there's no difference in feel with base and comp suspension lolol...
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #51
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
not sure if it was in the pipeline, but ditch the comp, and add the ceramics. buy it, and enjoy.
This is exactly what I did, and no regrets. TF am I going to do with 17 extra hp...?
      08-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #52
stevethomas
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90 2018

Just my opinion but from an aesthetic POV I think that the standard M5 F90 uses stealth to its advantage as a daily driver, which was my reason for buying one over the competition model, and why I ruled out the M-B E63/s (too loud and it felt less compact compared with the F90). For me enjoying a performance car without attracting too much attention is key.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #53
ElonM
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Interesting. When I test drove the Comp I thought the ride in comfort mode was significantly more plush than my F80 in comfort mode. Even in Sport+ the Comp ride felt less harsh (than S+). My F80 is not a ZCP so that might account for some of the difference.

I was concerned about the ride quality of the Comp vs base. Here in Minnesota we have some of the worst roads known to mankind. I didn’t even both testing the base after my Comp test drive. Comfort mode felt great to me for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #54
Billyboy
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 F90

For me, there was no doubt - the base M5. I need my car to do it all, including getting my family from a to b in relative comfort.

Our other car is a Lexus RX450h. If I had a stiff M5comp... I can imagine the whining kids going «we want to ride in mommys car, Its much nicer» blah blah. Base M5 it is, get in 😄

Also I have to admit I'm not all that hardcore myself hehe
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #55
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
I will start by saying that the way BMW is fudging F90 numbers - it IS almost irrelevant.

I do know that in order for a car already trapping in the 126-128 MPH range to now trap in the 128-130 MPH range - it will take more than. 17 HP. In fact - 25 HP is also likely not enough - and that number is likely in 35-45 HP range. A side by side dyno day would be an interesting experiment to see.

I do know that - if a person is keeping their car stock - it is a significant difference/advantage in the racing world.

For day to day for someone who doesn’t race or had experience with performance cars - they may be hard pressed to feel the difference.

For the price - I do believe it is a solid deal. And if I were getting an F90 with that CE package available - with the suspension, wheels and power bump - I would buy it. Which I did.

I believe I still have the original order guide - I will find it and post it up.
I can provide some real world experience to this point. I just did a track day on Saturday in my 2019 M5C at Lime Rock Park. There was another driver in my run group with a 2018 base M5. During the last two or three laps of our second run session, he was behind me and when we hit the straights I would pull away from him. After the session we caught up and he said he was peddle to the floor and still watched me pull away from him every time. He and I were surprised the 17 HP made that big of a difference.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 1
jhbodle141.50
      08-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #56
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I daily drive my M5 Competition with the suspension in sport plus, and I love it. Still not as stiff as my outgoing F Type S, but pretty close.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #57
JCH485
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 Range Rover SC, 991.2 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno 27 View Post
Quote:
What color is this??? Bluestone?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #58
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH485 View Post
What color is this??? Bluestone?
Nardo Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #59
JCH485
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 Range Rover SC, 991.2 C2S

Quote:
I drove a Base and Comp, different days, hard for me to distinguish a big delta in exhaust note- maybe it was settings but what have been folks experience purely from exhaust?

Suspension I think I'm somewhat indifferent, maybe leaning base, the black features I can add, HP is negligible, so my decision purely comes down to exhaust note.

Any thoughts appreciated here
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #60
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
I drove a Base and Comp, different days, hard for me to distinguish a big delta in exhaust note- maybe it was settings but what have been folks experience purely from exhaust?

Suspension I think I'm somewhat indifferent, maybe leaning base, the black features I can add, HP is negligible, so my decision purely comes down to exhaust note.

I drove them back to back. Thought suspension a bit stiffer on Comp. Everything else seemed the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #61
Slow Walker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Black M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Quote:

I drove them back to back. Thought suspension a bit stiffer on Comp. Everything else seemed the same to me.
M5 comp is my daily driver. Drive with engine in sport plus and suspension in comfort. Love it! I had an e92 m3 several years ago which was also my daily driver, m5 comp rides much better. Thought about the m5 base but happy that I got the comp
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #62
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
For me, it came down to one thing...modding. The comp is the car to get if you want a sportier ride and/or don't want to modify it. If you do plan to mod (big ones in this case are tune, exhaust, lowering springs), the argument for the comp isn't as strong. It's hard to be objective on this topic, but thats what pushed me in a direction. I also spent time in both.
The price difference between the two is enough to create a 750 to 800hp monster, while keeping the comfy suspenion and getting an aggressive stance with spaces and springs.

This is the direction I am going was I can assess the risk of serious failure in the car due to these mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:39 AM   #63
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
The price difference between the two is enough to create a 750 to 800hp monster, while keeping the comfy suspenion and getting an aggressive stance with spaces and springs.

This is the direction I am going was I can assess the risk of serious failure in the car due to these mods.
Once you lower it, the suspensions of Comp vs non Comp will be basically equal. Don't fool yourself, the ride is a bit rougher. The look of this car lowered is worth it tho.
Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #64
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Listening to this guy almost made me kill myself.....until I remembered at the last second I have kids who I don't want to grow up and become this so it's my job to stay alive and prevent it.

As far as his OPINION on trans, I'm going to keep my mouth shut rather than spend a paragraph on explaining what his opinion tells us about his views on cars, whether he is an enthusiast, how he drives, whether he has ever been on a track and most likely how he drives.....and don't even get me started on his "opinions" he states as "fact" about turbo psi numbers

If this dude is a BMW salesman I'd go across the street and buy a Kia.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #65
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Listening to this guy almost made me kill myself.....until I remembered at the last second I have kids who I don't want to grow up and become this so it's my job to stay alive and prevent it.

As far as his OPINION on trans, I'm going to keep my mouth shut rather than spend a paragraph on explaining what his opinion tells us about his views on cars, whether he is an enthusiast, how he drives, whether he has ever been on a track and most likely how he drives.....and don't even get me started on his "opinions" he states as "fact" about turbo psi numbers

If this dude is a BMW salesman I'd go across the street and buy a Kia.

Cheers,
e46e92
Would appreciate your specific insight rather than just a generic rant. Always willing to learn more. Whole point of the forum is to spread factual knowledge. Looking forward to your information/facts.

(Being sincere, NOT a jab)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #66
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Why only 7 months ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNewM5COMPETITION View Post
I had the M5C for 7 months. Drove it daily in BROOKLYN NY, it was all good. You are use to the roads. Get the comp. few bucks more.
Appreciate 0