BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Video:Comp to Non-Comp W/Interesting Conclusion

02-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

Video:Comp to Non-Comp W/Interesting Conclusion

Maybe this has been posted previously, but for those never having viewed it, I think it provides a fair and unbiased comparison between the two models. It's not about one car being better in everything, but the reviewer describes the differences, so prospective buyers can decide which driving characteristics or aesthetics speak to them.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
MDJAK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I will definitely watch this, yet having just purchased the “base” M5, I do long for the competition badge. I’ve never bought a base car before, especially one that cost 111k, though I paid considerably less.

I have heard in comparisons the Comp model rides quite a bit harsher. For that reason alone I’m glad I didn’t get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Earlando86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5

Same thing here. I love the look of the Competition model but decided to go with the base due to the softer suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I was originally after a non-comp model mainly due to the ride issue. I don't like calling it base as there's nothing basic about it! But the boy racer in me did like the slightly more aggressive looks of the comp! Anyway, I ended up with a comp and have to say, after 12k miles my view is the ride is absolutely great on motorways and even lumpy A and B roads (smaller roads in UK), in comfort setting. Its only only badly cut up roads with sharp ridges that causes harshness at slower speeds that shows up the stiffer setup. My Mrs who is pregnant did not like sitting in the back, said it's particularly harsh, but doesn't mind being in the front. But it's still not exactly unusable, the slight banging and jiggling on those roads is just a reminder that you're driving something with over 600hp ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBob View Post
Maybe this has been posted previously, but for those never having viewed it, I think it provides a fair and unbiased comparison between the two models. It's not about one car being better in everything, but the reviewer describes the differences, so prospective buyers can decide which driving characteristics or aesthetics speak to them.

Interesting how the reviewer gets things wrong about the differences such as the trim and a few other details. The only way to figure out which one is right for you is to drive them both back to back. IMO it comes down to cost, suspension and aesthetics. I ended up with the base because I assumed a lease and saved $300/month over the new comp at the dealer. If the numbers were closer together I would have gotten the comp, but simply couldn't justify the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

This is a very good video. I have the Comp model and when you put all the settings in the softest mode it feels just as comfortable as the base model.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0