BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 gets a switchable AWD ?!

01-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #67
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
The pro-awd people, keep banging on about being beaten by competition off the line - I.e 0-60.

Seriously grow up, are you all like in kindergarten? Driving is a lot more then simply planting your foot down at the lights!!

Braking, Cornering and mid-gear acceleration (for over taking) are far far more important!!!

Switchable rwd makes no sense, extra weight of awd system doesn't disappear at the switch of a button. So what's the point? To do donuts?

Also there is power loss through transmission of awd systems - hence why the f10 and e60 m5 pull so hard at 70 mph+ compared to awd competition.

awd is just a gimmick, a bragging right (0-60) and most of all for ppl who haven't got the skill to handle rear wheel drive power delivery.

Very disappointed with BMW, first we lose the naturally aspirated v10 and now losing rwd.

A triumph for folks with more money then driving ability I'm afraid.
Then just turn it off?!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #68
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Relax man haha. And when did I mention anything about 2500 lbs and a coupe? Everyone on here is so sensitive. Sorry my opinion disagree with yours I didn't mean to offend you.

And for the record the e60 m5 is my favorite M car.
Hey Eddie you sure are correct that everyone is sensitive on here

At the end of the day it's a sensitive topic and no, everyone can't have their desired cake and eat it...

My reference to 2500lb vehicles was a hint at the past era of the e24/e30 and how luxo barges will never be anything like that again.

E60/61 is my favourite car also...hence why I picked up a 10k mile example for keeps when I knew there would he no more unique engines.

PS! Sure the SMG is an auto but at least you still need to modulate the throttle between changes. You give me a system whereby an individual with a severed spinal cord can drive with 3 pedals and I will press for a manual M5 Touring from BMW! Otherwise I will be satisfied with a B5 Touring.

Thank you. And no offence implied or taken
Appreciate it. And from what I've heard the SMG (despite its common issues) is a brutal experience when driving it hard (in a very good way)

I'm actually looking into an E60 M5 as my next car. I've yet to speak with an e60 m5 owner who didn't absolutely love it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I find the right one.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #69
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The pro-awd people, keep banging on about being beaten by competition off the line - I.e 0-60.

Seriously grow up, are you all like in kindergarten? Driving is a lot more then simply planting your foot down at the lights!!

Braking, Cornering and mid-gear acceleration (for over taking) are far far more important!!!

Switchable rwd makes no sense, extra weight of awd system doesn't disappear at the switch of a button. So what's the point? To do donuts?

Also there is power loss through transmission of awd systems - hence why the f10 and e60 m5 pull so hard at 70 mph+ compared to awd competition.

awd is just a gimmick, a bragging right (0-60) and most of all for ppl who haven't got the skill to handle rear wheel drive power delivery.

Very disappointed with BMW, first we lose the naturally aspirated v10 and now losing rwd.

AWD won't have near as much negative impact compared to sticking with RWD. The 4899lb G12 B7 will keep up with through the 1/4 and then walk away from an F10 M5 there after. F90 hauling at least 500 fewer pounds probably won't be a slouch in any regime you suggest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #70
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
AWD won't have near as much negative impact compared to sticking with RWD. The 4899lb G12 B7 will keep up with through the 1/4 and then walk away from an F10 M5 there after. F90 hauling at least 500 fewer pounds probably won't be a slouch in any regime you suggest.
Damn that thing is a friggin MONSTER I hadn't seen anything about it yet. I'm all for AWD in a mega sport sedan style.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #71
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Quote:
Damn that thing is a friggin MONSTER I hadn't seen anything about it yet. I'm all for AWD in a mega sport sedan style.
There's an even bigger monster yet to be officially tested too.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #72
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
What, it starts in second gear?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #73
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Quote:
Someone paid attention. It does when not attempting a max performance run
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #74
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Many Auto's do unless you go past the kickdown position with the throttle.
1st isnt very luxurious in town driving with big engines

Whats more interesting is the instrument cluster fitted
      02-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #75
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Quote:
Many Auto's do unless you go past the kickdown position with the throttle.
1st isnt very luxurious in town driving with big engines

Whats more interesting is the instrument cluster fitted
It's a pre-production test mule so ignore the cluster. Drivetrain is in comfort mode with DSC in full nanny mode yet still hit 260km/h limiter hard in just under 20 sec. I've driven a few now and it really is a monster with a sexy voice.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #76
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Quote:

Holy smokes! The f90 m5 with similar power and torque but so much lighter will be rocket ship! I can't wait to see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #77
rypik@BW
Rep
Drives: S65/S85

despite of last M related interviews, it is more than sure it would be offered in AWD variant from day zero...

JF01,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,EUR,LL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,
JF02,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,EUR,RL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,
JF03,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,USA,LL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,

Comes from official (feb.2017) software... (list attached).
Attached Files
File Type: zip fzgtyp.zip (54.4 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by rypik@BW; 02-25-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #78
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypik@BW View Post
despite of last M related interviews, it is more than sure it would be offered in AWD variant from day zero...

JF01,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,EUR,LL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,
JF02,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,EUR,RL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,
JF03,P,BMW PKW,5',F90,M5,LIM,,,USA,LL,AWD,4,AUT,,,,

Comes from official (feb.2017) software... (list attached).
Interesting though that there is no RWD version listed.