E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Installing LUX H8 AE bulbs

08-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Installing LUX H8 AE bulbs

Just received my set today. Couldn't wait to install them. So, it's done now. Looks good. Pretty much exactly what I expected from seeing the pictures here and elsewhere.

Some notes about the installation for E90 LCI (2011 335i sedan in my case) that someone might find useful in the future

1. The LUX installation instructions claim that in order to remove the old bulb one needs to twist it counterclockwise. That proved to be the case for the passenger side bulb. But the driver side bulb had to be turned clockwise in order to be removed. (The CW and CCW directions are as observed from the back of the headlight). I.e. the twist directions are different for passenger and driver side. Interestingly enough, in order to open the plastic finned backcovers, I had to twist them CCW on both sides.

2. (Referring to the "T" trick described in the instructions). On the passenger side the unlocked bulb will have that "T" aligned straight, vertically. So, on the passenger side one has to guide in the new LUX bulb while making sure that the "T" is perfectly vertical. Once the bulb is in, twist it CW to lock (see 1).

On the driver side the vertical "T" corresponds to the locked position of the bulb (!!!). So, before trying to insert the new LUX bulb, inspect the layout of the cutouts in the socket carefully to determine the proper orientation of the bulb. In my experience in order to guide the bulb in, one has to keep that "T" tilted slightly CW (when looking from behind). Once the bulb is in, one has to twist it CCW to lock (see 1), which will make that "T" perfectly vertical.

3. About that round plastic pin inside the headlight... The instructions say nothing about removing it (although the "This needs to be moved in order to make room for the LUX H8" sounds kinda weird. "Moved"? Was it supposed to say "removed"?). This video says that the pin needs to be clipped off. Is this really necessary? I did trim mine a bit and the LUX H8 bulb did fit in fine. Now I wonder if that was at all necessary... In any case, when trimming the pin, watch for the wires. On my driver side the thin yellow wire was constantly asking for being cut

4. The original bulbs also have orange rubber sealing rings around them. Once I removed my passenger bulb, the ring somehow managed to slip off and drop into the headlight. I didn't even know something was amiss, until I saw that ring lying inside the headlight housing. I fished it out of there easily. Just keep in mind that the ring is there. If it's not one bulb when you removed it, it must be inside the headlight. It might do no harm leaving it there, but anyway...

P.S. The passenger side is easy. The driver side is a major PITA.

Last edited by AndreyT; 08-01-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0