BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Front differential Oil change - anyone DIY yet?

07-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #45
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
DIY is half the fun, the other half is driving this beast.

and are you sure the dealer will put the proper volume in or just "fill until it runs out?" Because BMW very specifically warns against this. Trust but verify.

Mike
I'm with Mike on this. If they fuck it up they'll find a way to blame it on your driving or the parts, not their mistakes. I love doing this kind of shit myself because I know for damn sure it was done exactly to spec. There's something so satisfying about it, especially after you've seen what some some of the shitbird 17 year old "techs" have done to these $125k cars they know nothing about.
Ya like sit on my hood to take pics and then scratch my hood to the point of needing a complete repaint.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #46
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
I'm with Mike on this. If they fuck it up they'll find a way to blame it on your driving or the parts, not their mistakes. I love doing this kind of shit myself because I know for damn sure it was done exactly to spec. There's something so satisfying about it, especially after you've seen what some some of the shitbird 17 year old "techs" have done to these $125k cars they know nothing about.
Look anyone can make a mistake, but not all will own up to it. I had my 97 M3 in for 30,000 service (required for warranty was their CLAIM, turns out that is NOT TRUE). The tech put 2 quarts of oil in the car that called for 7. It was February so no aggressive driving, you know snow and sleet LOL. A few weeks later as the weather cleared and the driving became more 'fun' I started hearing lifter noise I stopped and investigated. Added a quart...low, added another quart....low. checked all my usual parking spots for oil leak. Nothing. Did oil change in DIRT DRIVEWAY in snow in March, got out 4 quarts. Simple, the guy screwed up and shorted my 5 quarts. I called the Automaster in Burlington Vermont, a dealership of ill repute, to complain and said you better have my 5 quarts of oil that I paid for on the counter when I get there. ()*)&&* 4 hour round trip for a POINT. NO accountability. I ended up not buying out the lease on that car. "Original leasee" could not buy the car as CPO or get extended warranty at that time so they claimed. They lied. They sold if for 10k more than my buyout the next week. Lying sacks of shit.

That was my last BWM for the next 16 years. Drove Audis from 1999 to 2018. Yes they can SCREW UP ALSO. We are all human. But you can't stonewall a customer. The 'customer is always right' is dead.

I DIY whenever I can. And I shall figure out this ISTA shit soon enough. LOL

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #47
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Ya like sit on my hood to take pics and then scratch my hood to the point of needing a complete repaint.
I gotta hear this story
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #48
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:
I gotta hear this story
Haha ya it was the break in service if I recall. Told them not to wash it. They did anyway. And that left these weird streaks up the hood from their automatic car wash. I wanted to cringe. They came out and "hand buffed" them off. Then I continued to inspect and then I found these small swirl deep scratches that looked like from a button on a pair of pants or shorts. There were two of them on the front of the hood near the emblem. I can't prove it of course but I know I saw someone walk over to it and take selfies as I was leaning the parking lot. So I'm putting 2 and 2 together.

Complained to my SA. Took it immediately to their on site Body shop to have him look at it and he said a full repaint would be needed of the hood.

Luckily I'm good friends with their body shop manager (who hates the dealer itself).

What really pissed me off is that it took almost 3 days before the service manager called me about it. Not later that day. Not even the next day. Then when my wife took her X in for some service she got a loaner that smelled like something died in it and it had no gas. But she had to wait 45min for it to be "cleaned" for her. I truly am not a fan of our only local bmw dealership. Next closest is almost an hour drive not including inevitable tunnel traffic.

Oh ya and it took the hood being cleared 3x because I kept finding debris or fish eyes in the clear. And buffed another 2x until I gave up. They clearly only use rotary buffets and the halos were insane. Ended up buying my own Big Foot 15" orbital and fixed the halos before having it ppf.

Then 2 weeks later took a rock to the ppf. So now have a nice chunk missing from the ppf. No paint damage though. Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #49
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haha ya it was the break in service if I recall. Told them not to wash it. They did anyway. And that left these weird streaks up the hood from their automatic car wash. I wanted to cringe. They came out and "hand buffed" them off. Then I continued to inspect and then I found these small swirl deep scratches that looked like from a button on a pair of pants or shorts. There were two of them on the front of the hood near the emblem. I can't prove it of course but I know I saw someone walk over to it and take selfies as I was leaning the parking lot. So I'm putting 2 and 2 together.

Complained to my SA. Took it immediately to their on site Body shop to have him look at it and he said a full repaint would be needed of the hood.

Luckily I'm good friends with their body shop manager (who hates the dealer itself).

What really pissed me off is that it took almost 3 days before the service manager called me about it. Not later that day. Not even the next day. Then when my wife took her X in for some service she got a loaner that smelled like something died in it and it had no gas. But she had to wait 45min for it to be "cleaned" for her. I truly am not a fan of our only local bmw dealership. Next closest is almost an hour drive not including inevitable tunnel traffic.

Oh ya and it took the hood being cleared 3x because I kept finding debris or fish eyes in the clear. And buffed another 2x until I gave up. They clearly only use rotary buffets and the halos were insane. Ended up buying my own Big Foot 15" orbital and fixed the halos before having it ppf.

Then 2 weeks [...]
Damn that sucks... thankfully my dealer I took mine to made 100% sure not to wash it lol even the random dealer in KY where I got my tire done was nice enough not to wash mine. But yeah ppf is a must, on my car I had deep scars and cuts in the door, without ppf it would've probably needed a repaint... still sucks that the ppf place I picked wasn't up to snuff especially with the price tag.... lots of gaps in the ppf, circles around parking sensors were massive (and not circle) they didn't even ppf the front bumper part where the radar sensor is (like deep in there they did like half an inch back and that was it) and peeling and bubbling everywhere... (same with carbon lip they just barely wrapped around the edge and did nothing for the underneath part). Probably half an in gap around the shark fin all around too... so if I do get something else gotta go on the search for another ppf shop ig...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:18 PM   #50
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Then 2 weeks [...]
Damn that sucks... thankfully my dealer I took mine to made 100% sure not to wash it lol even the random dealer in KY where I got my tire done was nice enough not to wash mine. But yeah ppf is a must, on my car I had deep scars and cuts in the door, without ppf it would've probably needed a repaint... still sucks that the ppf place I picked wasn't up to snuff especially with the price tag.... lots of gaps in the ppf, circles around parking sensors were massive (and not circle) they didn't even ppf the front bumper part where the radar sensor is (like deep in there they did like half an inch back and that was it) and peeling and bubbling everywhere... (same with carbon lip they just barely wrapped around the edge and did nothing for the underneath part). Probably half an in gap around the shark fin all around too... so if I do get something else gotta go on the search for another ppf shop ig...
Sounds like they just used pre cut software and it wasn't very good. I had my front bumper ppf but after the repaint I had them do the hood too.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:46 PM   #51
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like they just used pre cut software and it wasn't very good. I had my front bumper ppf but after the repaint I had them do the hood too.
Perhaps, I forget but I think the shop said they did most of it custom with some templates.
Just a few pics showing the gaps in film, basically front bumper and fender had I want to say at least a 1/4 in all the way around gap on each panel so 1/2 total unprotected surface, towards bottom of bumper you can see they didn't even wrap underneath about the splitter and just bubbling and peeling on every panel unfortunately... not what I'd expect from an 8k job, not to mention had a piece of black dirt on the mounding that goes front to back above the doors (the body colored piece) and I was like oh you guys gonna redo that too right (since roof was getting redone) and was told nope that's acceptable. Am I really gonna have to ship my cars to Cali for freaking ppf😓
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 12:14 AM   #52
erod550
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
as per this, the Front, Rear and Transfer case oil is supposed to be changed every 90,000 km. So why is my car asking for only the front? This is very odd.

Mike
Sorry for the thread necro but this says you only need to do the front axle transmission oil, transfer box oil, and rear differential oil every 90k km (~55k miles) and my '19 with <29k miles is telling me I need to do them along with my next oil change. That seems really early for it to be asking for those right?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #53
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe it is condition based service or 55k and your car has triggered condition based service? Or it could be every 6th oil change and you have fine your oil changes earlier than BMW specifies?

I have a 2018 with 41k miles and have been buying all the fluids for the diffs and transfer case and plan to do them in the next year. 1 of the fluids is currently hard to get, at least the BMW version. I forget which one.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #54
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess we have to trust the car's computers?

Mike

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #55
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

They are getting smarter. The auto trans can shift faster than I can and faster around a track.

I still do preventative maintenance, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 08:44 PM   #56
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

According to my research these are volumes of fluid needed. Does this look correct to you guys? So just 1 bottle of each?

Front G2 - 600 mL
Rear G4 - 1 L
Transfer case DTF 1 - 1L
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 06:00 AM   #57
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

That is correct. And it's easy. Just a lot of buzzy work.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 11:33 AM   #58
916_M5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is correct. And it's easy. Just a lot of buzzy work.

Mike
I believe I read a post of yours that mentioned you use 2 bottles for the rear diff? Or is it just the 1 L?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #59
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Each bottle is 500 ml. Just double checked my stock.

I had 4 of the G4 (2 liters) and 2 of the G2 (1 liter).

I used 600 ml of the G2, and 1000 ml of the G4.

Reminded me that I have to get more G2 for the next time.

Mike

Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      03-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #60
916_M5
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mike
Thank you so much for this!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #61
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Quote:

Mike
Hey so I just flushed the front and rear diff oil using redline 75w90.

Front took about 600ml as stated but when draining the rear 1.5 quarts came out as I drained it into a measuring cup. I replaced with 1.5 quart but I feel as it’s too much. Car has 7100 miles. Are you 10000% sure it’s 1 liter in the rear. Reading the thread makes me want to drop the rear again and put only a Liter back. I’m just not sure why 1.5 quart came out. When removing fill plug first oil came out and I thought to myself like wow is this overfilled ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #62
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Mfizzy View Post
Hey so I just flushed the front and rear diff oil using redline 75w90.

Front took about 600ml as stated but when draining the rear 1.5 quarts came out as I drained it into a measuring cup. I replaced with 1.5 quart but I feel as it’s too much. Car has 7100 miles. Are you 10000% sure it’s 1 liter in the rear. Reading the thread makes me want to drop the rear again and put only a Liter back. I’m just not sure why 1.5 quart came out. When removing fill plug first oil came out and I thought to myself like wow is this overfilled ?
It needs 1 Liter of G4 exactly. Filling to the edge of the fill hole would be overfilling, and likely what happened at your break in service.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #63
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It needs 1 Liter of G4 exactly. Filling to the edge of the fill hole would be overfilling, and likely what happened at your break in service.
Exactly, that is the "usual method" for such things, but not this diff. But some have stated that there is a vent so if over filled ? ok? Did not risk it. BMW has specific instructions for this service.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:12 PM   #64
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Excellent, was hoping to find printed proof of this volume. I actually have several bottles of the Hypoid G4.

Interesting update in the Manual says now to use the G1.
Re-Read this....specifically says WITHOUT M-model

Vehicles concerned:
Procedure:
In motor vehicles from production date 07/2011, the final drive oil SAF-XO is being replaced by the final drive oil Hypoid
Axle Oil G1 (BOT448).
All BMW without M models
All MINI
All Rolls-Royce

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:28 AM   #65
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Quote:
Exactly, that is the "usual method" for such things, but not this diff. But some have stated that there is a vent so if over filled ? ok? Did not risk it. BMW has specific instructions for this service.

Mike
Thank you for the response! So I tried to do the transfer case I bought the oem dtf1 fluid. When removing the fill plug it seems as like something is partially blocking the hole. When I put my finger in it feels like something is in the way yet you still have a bit of room to get in there. How did you successfully change that out ? When I put my little hose in there to suck the oil out couldn’t grab any.. I appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:09 PM   #66
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Mfizzy View Post
Thank you for the response! So I tried to do the transfer case I bought the oem dtf1 fluid. When removing the fill plug it seems as like something is partially blocking the hole. When I put my finger in it feels like something is in the way yet you still have a bit of room to get in there. How did you successfully change that out ? When I put my little hose in there to suck the oil out couldn’t grab any.. I appreciate the help!
Transfer case has to have a tube like a hook, put it in to the low point of the TC and suck out the fluid. Odd design, but that is what I had to do.

Mike

Appreciate 0