BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2019 Comp or 2021 LCI non-comp

09-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #1
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
2019 Comp or 2021 LCI non-comp

With everything being almost equal like price and under 30k miles, would you get the 2019 M5 Comp or a 2021 M5 LCI?

I’m currently trying to decide which I should do
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
With everything being almost equal like price and under 30k miles, would you get the 2019 M5 Comp or a 2021 M5 LCI?

I'm currently trying to decide which I should do
I would always go for the newer car, even with a slightly lower trim. There are of course differences between the two that you'll see on here discussed with some frequency; i.e., the differences in suspension. However if the choice comes down to new or something with 30K miles, new is usually probably the right answer. You never know what the previous owner(s) did to that car. You'll be under warranty for significantly longer. You'll also have the option to lease if that's something that you're considering. Depending on what state you live in, you'll likely most likely be unable to a traditional closed end lease on a previously titled vehicle.

I think there's a bigger delta between the pre-LCI and the LCI than there is between the base and Comp. The pre-LCI has aged a bit by now. I'm not constantly chasing the newest necessarily, but once you see the LCI, you can feel it a bit more. The LCI would give you the most current aesthetics, if that's something that important to you.

I told another forum member posing a similar question that if it's the aesthetics of the Comp that you're after, you can source all the gloss black parts (kidney grills, side markers, black tailpipe tips, M5 badge, etc.) for around $1000 and replace them on your own. If you did that, the only thing you'd be missing aesthetically are the Shadowline lights., especially if the car you go with is BSM (that is, the things that are gloss black on the Comp will be black because they are body color on the base). I had this done on my first M5 (pre-LCI base).

Good luck!

⬇️ '19 Base M5, BSM, all OEM parts available in gloss black switched to gloss black. With black paint, and all the parts I mentioned in my first post, it has almost all the Comp aesthetics.
Attached Images

09-04-2022, 08:32 PM   #3
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
I would always go for the newer car, even with a slightly lower trim. There are of course differences between the two that you'll see on here discussed with some frequency; i.e., the differences in suspension. However if the choice comes down to new or something with 30K miles, new is usually probably the right answer. You never know what the previous owner(s) did to that car. You'll be under warranty for significantly longer. You'll also have the option to lease if that's something that you're considering. Depending on what state you live in, you'll likely most likely be unable to a traditional closed end lease on a previously titled vehicle.

I think there's a bigger delta between the pre-LCI and the LCI than there is between the base and Comp. The pre-LCI has aged a bit by now. I'm not constantly chasing the newest necessarily, but once you see the LCI, you can feel it a bit more. The LCI would give you the most current aesthetics, if that's something that important to you.

I told another forum member posing a similar question that if it's the aesthetics of the Comp that you're after, you can source all the gloss black parts (kidney grills, side markers, black tailpipe tips, M5 badge, etc.) for around $1000 and replace them on your own. If you did that, the only thing you'd be missing aesthetically are the Shadowline lights., especially if the car you go with is BSM (that is, the things that are gloss black on the Comp will be black because they are body color on the base). I had this done on my first M5 (pre-LCI base).

Good luck!

⬇️ '19 Base M5, BSM, all OEM parts available in gloss black switched to gloss black. With black paint, and all the parts I mentioned in my first post, it has almost all the Comp aesthetics.
Have you found a good aftermarket rear diffuser like the Comp?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Have you found a good aftermarket rear diffuser like the Comp?
I am admittedly not 100% sure on this, so there might be someone to correct me if I'm wrong here, but having had both now, I believe that the LCI base and LCI Comp have the same rear diffuser. Just pulled up photos of both of mine, and they appear to be the same. I did not swap the diffuser, since it was already black.

EDIT — If you're looking at the CF one, there is BMW OEM MPP and it retails for $1250, but can be found for less online. I didn't do any CF on either of my M5s (except for the included roof, obviously), because I wanted the all black and more executive look for my DD, but another one of my cars has every OEM CF piece available, inside and out, so it's not that I'm not a fan. If I was doing just one CF piece on my LCI, it would be the CF diffuser, hands down. There are numerous owners here with it, and it looks amazing, especially with BSM.

EDIT 2 — https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1821586 — a couple of reputable forum members here have confirmed that the diffuser is the same across pre-LCI and LCI, and, base and Comp. Thanks to Simon H and euro*!
      09-04-2022, 11:57 PM   #5
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:

2021 M5 LCI Comp. Hands down. No question.
Appreciate 2
NoMods1108.00
      09-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
I can't remember if the center screen is bigger too?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:

I think it is. I had both, now I don't remember. Some things aren't important to me. I upgraded to the LCI for the suspension. I believe my M850 might be back to the smaller screen again. I really don't notice it. Now, my wife's 2016 X3.......that's a tiny ass screen!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Pre-LCI = 10.2 inch infotainment screen
LCI = 12.3 inch infotainment screen

It doesn't sound like a whole lot of difference, but having had both, it is. The larger screen is not only sharper, clearer, and larger; aesthetically, it fills out the space more and is much more attractive looking.

A few forum member have retrofitted the LCI screen on pre-LCI models successfully!
      09-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I misread your initial post to mean the the LCI Base in your question was brand new. Only just now realizing what you meant. So sorry!

With that being said, I don't think my analysis changes in any way.
      09-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "snowbimmer;29297294"

I think it is. I had both, now I don't remember. Some things aren't important to me. I upgraded to the LCI for the suspension. I believe my M850 might be back to the smaller screen again. I really don't notice it. Now, my wife's 2016 X3.......that's a tiny ass screen!
For the '22 MY, all 8 series vehicles now feature the larger 12.3 inch screen.
      09-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The larger screen on the 8s came with the '23s. Mine is 10.3 inches on my '22. (Just measured). It got smaller going from my '21 M5 to my '22 M850. Kinda strange that the 8 was 2 years behind, but, then again, BMW has been known to do strange things.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The larger screen on the 8s came with the '23s. Mine is 10.3 inches on my '22. (Just measured). It got smaller going from my '21 M5 to my '22 M850. Kinda strange that the 8 was 2 years behind, but, then again, BMW has been known to do strange things.
So sorry! You're right! My mistake! It looks like for some other non-US markets the upgrade started for '22.

Hope you're enjoying your car!
      09-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #13
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:

Have you test drove the pre- LCI comp? I found the ride of the comp to be a bit too stiff in the LA roads here. You can feel every bump in the road and gave me back fatigue. That said, ride comfort is really a subjective thing. Many folks say the LCI comp with the new M8 dampers soften things up but stiffer springs is always that.

LCI has iDrive 7 which gives you digital key and remote start (pre-conditioning). Pre-LCI may have the latter, but not sure. Besides comp and non comp for your comparison, are there other features one has over the other? i.e. full merino, B&W, driving assist plus?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #14
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Newer model for sure
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #15
LASpartan
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M5

I had the option for a 2021 base M5 (snapper rocks blue) or 2020 M5C with CCB. Essentially same lease price with nice discounts. I happily took the 2021 base M and haven't looked back.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #16
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

To OP,

Go for the newer car, it will age better. Have fun either way you can't lose.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #17
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

If you were in Europe, OP, I'd say go for the pre-LCI as they sound far better, and for me that's one significant part of the attraction of owning this monster. Personally, I prefer the pre-LCI circular/angel eye DRLs over the new hockey-sticks (irrespective of how good the lasers are claimed to be), which is replicated now across many other manufacturers' design languages (esp VW). And there's arguably something more aggressive about the front end in comparison to the more snouty LCI iteration, with its larger and seemingly lower grille. But these are ultimately minor aesthetic considerations: everyone on here could make compelling cases for both. You can't go wrong. Just don't worry about the suspension/ride on the pre-LCI: I was, until I realised (on the very first drive) that the critiques were overstated. Yes it's firm; but the composure is supreme, and a recent vacay in and around the Scottish highlands convinced me of the comfort on long-hauls!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:54 PM   #18
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
If you were in Europe, OP, I'd say go for the pre-LCI as they sound far better, and for me that's one significant part of the attraction of owning this monster. Personally, I prefer the pre-LCI circular/angel eye DRLs over the new hockey-sticks (irrespective of how good the lasers are claimed to be), which is replicated now across many other manufacturers' design languages (esp VW). And there's arguably something more aggressive about the front end in comparison to the more snouty LCI iteration, with its larger and seemingly lower grille. But these are ultimately minor aesthetic considerations: everyone on here could make compelling cases for both. You can't go wrong. Just don't worry about the suspension/ride on the pre-LCI: I was, until I realised (on the very first drive) that the critiques were overstated. Yes it's firm; but the composure is supreme, and a recent vacay in and around the Scottish highlands convinced me of the comfort on long-hauls!
Keep in mind that usually EU cars are sprung differently than US ones. Not sure about how this is in M5 case. I've just changed my suspension and my main problem were short bumps that would make suspension bottom momentarily it would definitely not be a problem where roads are better than here in Illinois which are not that hard to find
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #19
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

I'm currently in the market for an M5 competition and wouldn't even consider a pre LCI after testing both. The LCI looks much more modern externally and the suspension felt a lot better.

I do wish they did a better job of updating the LCIs interior though. it's a bit crappy to still have the old shifter, door handles and climate controls when the rest of the line-up has been updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #20
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestle View Post
I'm currently in the market for an M5 competition and wouldn't even consider a pre LCI after testing both. The LCI looks much more modern externally and the suspension felt a lot better.

I do wish they did a better job of updating the LCIs interior though. it's a bit crappy to still have the old shifter, door handles and climate controls when the rest of the line-up has been updated.
That's not the first time BmW does that. They do it for the all new one to feel fresher from LCI ones. It's all pre planned and works every time to make outgoing model feel older than it is. As for suspension I feel the same way. They don't seem to be able to do it right at first attempt. I used to have F30 340i. Seats and suspension were crap. I don't know how could 3 series be so bad after them making it for so many years. Because of suspension we have turned it in at the end of the lease with no regrets. Those little changers are annoying. There used to be M5 and that was it. Now we have a special version of the special version of a special car. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #21
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
That's not the first time BmW does that. They do it for the all new one to feel fresher from LCI ones. It's all pre planned and works every time to make outgoing model feel older than it is. As for suspension I feel the same way. They don't seem to be able to do it right at first attempt. I used to have F30 340i. Seats and suspension were crap. I don't know how could 3 series be so bad after them making it for so many years. Because of suspension we have turned it in at the end of the lease with no regrets. Those little changers are annoying. There used to be M5 and that was it. Now we have a special version of the special version of a special car. Oh well
They at least tried for the X3 / X4 LCI though, that got pretty much everything except the new door handle shape
Appreciate 0