BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Competition Suspension Bouncy

02-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

Competition Suspension Bouncy

Does any else think the stock suspension in Sport+ is bouncy? Going around turns or high speed it feels way too bouncy. It doesn't have that platted feel you would think Sport+ would have. I think it feels less bouncy on Sport and Comfort. My tire PSI seems fine, I'm at 32F and 34R. Is this the reason others have upgraded the suspension? Will the upgraded suspension take away this bouncy feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Same with my (base) M5.
This is the reason I keep it in comfort 75% of the time unless on highway and smooth roads.
My belief is the car is just a fat heavy pig with wide tires, and to find an optimal suspension is difficult, in all the settings.
perhaps the designers had to sacrifice in certain areas.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

The compression and rebound is clearly a driver as your psi is fine. Its just the way its set up. If your roads have alot of uneven parts and undulations this will just naturally occur with the F90. I have the same issue with my stock and even modded suspension (M550i springs). The key is in the spring and damper combo and its just not dialed like Porsche has it or cars with magnetorheological dampers (I have them on my AMG GTS and R8 and on prior Ferraris and Lambo). Those chassis dynamics just soak up the bumps. But we are in 4300 lb sedans and the car is still so brilliant. For me, I like the more taut suspension and will give up heavier compression for a tighter feel that could be more uncomfortable for some. But where I live, the roads are really well paved and flat even on hills and turns. I honestly dont think you can change much spring wise to fix it but instead become more acclimated to it.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
GiantRobot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

I thought I read somewhere that when BMW's engineers were testing the M5 on the Nürburgring they kept the suspension setting in Sport (as opposed to Sport+). While parts of the Nürburgring are smooth, other sections are not.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The compression and rebound is clearly a driver as your psi is fine. Its just the way its set up. If your roads have alot of uneven parts and undulations this will just naturally occur with the F90. I have the same issue with my stock and even modded suspension (M550i springs). The key is in the spring and damper combo and its just not dialed like Porsche has it or cars with magnetorheological dampers (I have them on my AMG GTS and R8 and on prior Ferraris and Lambo). Those chassis dynamics just soak up the bumps. But we are in 4300 lb sedans and the car is still so brilliant. For me, I like the more taut suspension and will give up heavier compression for a tighter feel that could be more uncomfortable for some. But where I live, the roads are really well paved and flat even on hills and turns. I honestly dont think you can change much spring wise to fix it but instead become more acclimated to it.
Yes, I should've mentioned imperfections on the road really amplifies this bounce. If you have a perfectly paved road it's not too bad. I love everything about the F90 but not in love with the suspension. I'm coming from a CTS-V with the latest Magnetic Ride Control and if you could keep that car straight the suspension was amazing. With both cars at 4300ish pounds, I never felt the weight of the CTS like I do the F90. I think the Germans need to swallow their pride and finally say the Americans made something better then we did and start using this tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

nyc here- i find sport the best setting in my comp.
comfort has too much rebound, and sport+ just hurts