BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    60 to 130 time for stock m5 competition

10-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #1
taw6189
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, 720s, 599

60 to 130 time for stock m5 competition

Can someone kindly inform me whether this is a normal 60 to 130 time for a fully stock m5 comp? I heard others doing 8 seconds but I cannot get any better. Just had my spark plugs and oil done too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:40 AM   #2
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taw6189 View Post
Can someone kindly inform me whether this is a normal 60 to 130 time for a fully stock m5 comp? I heard others doing 8 seconds but I cannot get any better. Just had my spark plugs and oil done too
Yeah that's in the right neighborhood for stock. It's with a tune and downpipes these really wake up!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
taw6189
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx View Post
Yeah that's in the right neighborhood for stock. It's with a tune and downpipes these really wake up!
Thanks for the reply boss, it is comforting to hear that my times are normal. I get a trap speed of 126 for the quarter-mile, that also makes me feel like my car's a bit slower since others have seen 128+ but i guess these small differences are within acceptable reason.

Do you think ill see any noticable performance gains with just the downpipes? I dont want a tune, i just want the car to be as fast as it could be stock-ish
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply boss, it is comforting to hear that my times are normal. I get a trap speed of 126 for the quarter-mile, that also makes me feel like my car's a bit slower since others have seen 128+ but i guess these small differences are within acceptable reason.

Do you think ill see any noticable performance gains with just the downpipes? I dont want a tune, i just want the car to be as fast as it could be stock-ish
Catless you'd get the most gains but also throw a check engine light if you don't tune I'm pretty sure.

Catted I think in the 10-20whp range untuned? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you considered a piggyback like a JB4? You could get the performance gains of an OTS tune basically without touching the ECU
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Mine was the same. Colder weather will drop it some more. How you time it effects it also. I was always faster in the 60-130 from a dead stop vs hitting the gas at 30mph. Not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
taw6189
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Catless you'd get the most gains but also throw a check engine light if you don't tune I'm pretty sure.

Have you considered a piggyback like a JB4? You could get the performance gains of an OTS tune basically without touching the ECU
I see, so performance gains from a full m performance or a remus exhaust would be negligible..thanks for mentioning the jb4 tune,, sounds very interesting. Ill do some more research.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
taw6189
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Mine was the same. Colder weather will drop it some more. How you time it effects it also. I was always faster in the 60-130 from a dead stop vs hitting the gas at 30mph. Not sure why.
The 8.27 I got was at like 41 degrees so I dont imagine being much faster sir. Quite amusing to learn that perhaps 60 to 130 times are faster when acceleration is started from a standstill. I really want to see an 8.1 just once because i heard a lot of other people say thats what they got. Ill try to see if i get a faster time accelerating from naught. For now i guess 8 seconds to 8.4 seconds is the time for comps and you might be lucky with a slightly faster one (?)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I see, so performance gains from a full m performance or a remus exhaust would be negligible..thanks for mentioning the jb4 tune,, sounds very interesting. Ill do some more research.
Yeah most catback exhausts (post downpipes) on this platform are only worth 5-10 hp max. Factory piping is decently large and you won't see the real gains from the exhaust until you're in the 800+hp range.
Appreciate 1