BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Dealership Wear/Tear Protection Plan worth it?

08-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
tenaciousE
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Comp

Dealership Wear/Tear Protection Plan worth it?

Hi Folks - posted this in the tire section and haven't gotten a reply and since this does pertain to the overall price I figure it's appropriate to post in here too.

Just got a 2019 M5C and the financial guy was really pushing the wear/tear extra warranty that covers brakes/pads, etc. Living in LA the wheel/tire coverage is a no-brainer, but wasn't sure about this so I declined. I was told that I could add it a little later. What's been your experience with brakes/pads - have you needed replacements before 3 years/10k miles? TIA

Last edited by tenaciousE; 08-26-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
zirotti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: lots

I'm confused. You are asking about tire plan and then say its a no brainer, and then ask if its worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
unc879wins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Lexus RC350 FSport

Wheel/Tire pkg must be different from the Wear/Tear pkg?

He takes the Wheel/Tire no brainer but asking opinions on Wear/Tear.

- costs of each?
- coverages consist of?
- restrictions and limitations?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
tenaciousE
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc879wins View Post
Wheel/Tire pkg must be different from the Wear/Tear pkg?

He takes the Wheel/Tire no brainer but asking opinions on Wear/Tear.

- costs of each?
- coverages consist of?
- restrictions and limitations?

Sorry for the miscommunication, but yes, I already paid for the tire/wheel insurance (covers non-wear/tear damage) like potholes, etc. My experience with my previous car has taught me this is very worthwhile in LA.

I'm curious about the package that covers wear and tear of brakes/pads and other "replaceable" components like windshield wipers. The package costs around $1200.

Bottom line is - does an M5C driven at average aggressiveness (I probably won't go to the track) need new brake pads before 30K miles? I understand it has mostly to do with the individual driver, but I was wondering what most folks' experiences were with there M5's

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousE View Post
Sorry for the miscommunication, but yes, I already paid for the tire/wheel insurance (covers non-wear/tear damage) like potholes, etc. My experience with my previous car has taught me this is very worthwhile in LA.

I'm curious about the package that covers wear and tear of brakes/pads and other "replaceable" components like windshield wipers. The package costs around $1200.

Bottom line is - does an M5C driven at average aggressiveness (I probably won't go to the track) need new brake pads before 30K miles? I understand it has mostly to do with the individual driver, but I was wondering what most folks' experiences were with there M5's

thanks!
I purchased the BMW Ultimate Care + upgrade which retails for $700, it gives you brake coverage, wiper blades and other stuff up to 3 years/36000 miles, there is another option that goes up to 4/50 as well. The coverage makes it the same as was offered on 2016 and older models that they now charge for.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Bump on this.

I would like to get some more info about this as well.

Last edited by Joey.Donatelli; 12-11-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Took it at $700! Worth considering the fact that the whole brake job will be around $2000+ but I'm not sure if it comes to that before 30K miles.
I'm taking delivery of my X7 M50i tomorrow and I'll take coverage on that for sure bcos in my experience heavy SUV's need brake job around 25k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink View Post
Took it at $700! Worth considering the fact that the whole brake job will be around $2000+ but I'm not sure if it comes to that before 30K miles.
I'm taking delivery of my X7 M50i tomorrow and I'll take coverage on that for sure bcos in my experience heavy SUV's need brake job around 25k miles.
Do you remember what price point they started at?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
Quote:
Do you remember what price point they started at?
700 is pretty much standard everywhere, at least at two dealers where I shopped. This coverage is for brakes and wipers only!
Also got the tire and wheel package for $1450. Lowest I've seen around Northeast.

Edit: $1425 for Tire and Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

I’m leasing, so I passed on all the extras. Technically I don’t own the car, the bank does, so I won’t pay a penny more than I have to for a 3 year rental. If I owned the car, that’s a different scenario.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeynowbababooeyAckAck View Post
I'm leasing, so I passed on all the extras. Technically I don't own the car, the bank does, so I won't pay a penny more than I have to for a 3 year rental. If I owned the car, that's a different scenario.
Though the bank owns it, you're responsible for it's maintenance and condition that's acceptable at lease return.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

Quote:
Though the bank owns it, you're responsible for it's maintenance and condition that's acceptable at lease return.
Have you ever dropped a car off at the end of the lease to BMW? My experience every single time.. A 65 year old salesman walks out, bullshits for 30 seconds, walks around the car, smiles, and says great do you have both keys? I’ve turned in well over 20 BMW’s and every single one had curb wear on rims, rock chips etc. and never once had an issue at the end of the lease, ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
ZZZZMD1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
700 is pretty much standard everywhere, at least at two dealers where I shopped. This coverage is for brakes and wipers only!
Also got the tire and wheel package for $1450. Lowest I've seen around Northeast.

Which dealer? In the NYC area? Put front brakes on my M550 after 21,000 mi because of stop-and-go driving....Probably going for the tire/wheel coverage again because those forged rims on the M5C are a fortune and less amenable to quality repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeynowbababooeyAckAck View Post
Quote:
Have you ever dropped a car off at the end of the lease to BMW? My experience every single time.. A 65 year old salesman walks out, bullshits for 30 seconds, walks around the car, smiles, and says great do you have both keys? I've turned in well over 20 BMW's and every single one had curb wear on rims, rock chips etc. and never once had an issue at the end of the lease, ever.
I think you've issues reading and then comprehending what's being discussed here. Let me explain in detail for you to understand properly.

1) The first coverage is for brakes. That depends on individual driving habits and if my brakes wear down well before lease ends, only choice is to replace them because I would like to drive the car till lease end. At least that's what happened to my previous leases, maybe I'm heavy on the brakes. If brake wear warning pops up on the vehicle before lease ends, then you're obligated to replace them.

2) Tire and wheel protection covers blown/flat tires and bent wheels during the 36 months tenure and we aren't discussing the lease return here yet! I'm sure you won't be driving with a bent wheel or flat tire during your lease. The tire tread should be min at 4/32" for lease returns and cosmetic wheel scratches are acceptable to a certain length).

BMW is lenient compare to other manufactures during lease returns but there's always a limit to it. I'm always happy with their lease returns but didn't take things for granted either.

Your presumptuous nature shows your immaturity not only here but across the forum. Your posts are more about bragging and creating confusion among members who're trying to help each other. You may have maintained your cars well or your 65 yr old guy working at BMW is your friend but it's not the case with everyone. Many of us have repeatedly told you that your situation doesn't apply to others. You can share your experiences but tone it down and be respectful.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZMD1991 View Post
Quote:

Which dealer? In the NYC area? Put front brakes on my M550 after 21,000 mi because of stop-and-go driving....Probably going for the tire/wheel coverage again because those forged rims on the M5C are a fortune and less amenable to quality repair.
PM'ed
Appreciate 0