BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Another one bites the dust... M5 crash inside

10-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
M5ZRH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Another one bites the dust... M5 crash inside

Well... here goes another one:
https://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/os...id8950643.html
One cannot judge what happened but it is clear that you need to understand what you are doing when 600 horsepower are at hand. It was a 20 year old driver...

Maybe one day legislators will apply laws where people will have to gain different driving licenses according to power to weight ratio or enforce drivers' track training... just wishful thinking. Like in aviation with various license and aircraft type certification...
Appreciate 1
daddymalu159.50
      10-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ZRH View Post
One cannot judge what happened but it is clear that you need to understand what you are doing when 600 horsepower are at hand. It was a 20 year old driver...

Maybe one day legislators will apply laws where people will have to gain different driving licenses according to power to weight ratio or enforce drivers' track training... just wishful thinking. Like in aviation with various license and aircraft type certification...
High power cars, in public roads under inexperienced hands, makes for a really bad combination.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ZRH View Post

High power cars, in public roads under inexperienced hands, makes for a really bad combination.
Yeah and on top of
Gas guzzler taxes... Becareful what you wish for..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
There's a problem only if you put the car in RWD mode which also disables traction control. Easy to get into trouble in that mode. Other than that, I don't see why there would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
There's a problem only if you put the car in RWD mode which also disables traction control. Easy to get into trouble in that mode. Other than that, I don't see why there would be an issue.
You find yourself getting up to speeds you shouldn't be doing very quickly, for one. That tends to pose a problem when you find yourself having to stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
You find yourself getting up to speeds you shouldn't be doing very quickly, for one. That tends to pose a problem when you find yourself having to stop.
You can do that in most modern cars... You can go way too fast very quickly even in an Accord or Camry. Whether it takes a couple of seconds more or less to accelerate shouldn't make a difference in safety. It's up to the driver not to do something crazy regardless of the car.

There's a real problem when some special skills are required as when switching to RWD without traction control on car with tremendous power.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
You can do that in most modern cars... You can go way too fast very quickly even in an Accord or Camry. Whether it takes a couple of seconds more or less to accelerate shouldn't make a difference in safety. It's up to the driver not to do something crazy regardless of the car.

There's a real problem when some special skills are required as when switching to RWD without traction control on car with tremendous power.
Still a big difference when you can get to 100 mph at the same time a Accord or Camry gets to highway speeds. Inexperience in driving something with that kind of power is dangerous regardless of whether the arse-end comes around or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Still a big difference when you can get to 100 mph at the same time a Accord or Camry gets to highway speeds. Inexperience in driving something with that kind of power is dangerous regardless of whether the arse-end comes around or not.
The M5 is pretty gradual in its response even in Sport Plus. It doesn't accelerate very rapidly on you unless you really go deep in the throttle. In other words, it's very easy to control the acceleration and speed. It doesn't surprise you with anything unintended. I really don't see how it's dangerous even for inexperienced drivers. If they accelerate too fast or drive too fast, they voluntarily make that happen, they control that, and it's easy to back off. On the other hand, I do believe that RWD with this kind of power with no traction control is dangerous for many.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Luckily no one died or got seriously hurt! That being said, what a waste of a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Now that I own and have been driving the new M5 I see why there are accidents: with great power comes great responsibility. If you drive this car with the DCS off you can get in a whole lot of trouble real quick.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Quote:
The M5 is pretty gradual in its response even in Sport Plus. It doesn't accelerate very rapidly on you unless you really go deep in the throttle. In other words, it's very easy to control the acceleration and speed. It doesn't surprise you with anything unintended. I really don't see how it's dangerous even for inexperienced drivers. If they accelerate too fast or drive too fast, they voluntarily make that happen, they control that, and it's easy to back off. On the other hand, I do believe that RWD with this kind of power with no traction control is dangerous for many.

In the F90 ones sense of speed is much different compared to most vehicles. 90 feels like 50.
Appreciate 0