BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Assuming Lease In Virginia From Out of State

02-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB M5

Assuming Lease In Virginia From Out of State

I am looking at assuming a lease from out of state to VA. The dealer (who is trying to sell me a new car) told me that I will owe the 4.15% tax on either the gross purchase amount or in the best case the NADA Value of the car at the time of registration. Has anybody done this before and do you know if that's true? Basically there is the potential for me to owe another $4500+ at the time of registration. Those numbers change the calculation of the my effective payment and it may make more sense to go with a new car. I appreciate any thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBM5 View Post
I am looking at assuming a lease from out of state to VA. The dealer (who is trying to sell me a new car) told me that I will owe the 4.15% tax on either the gross purchase amount or in the best case the NADA Value of the car at the time of registration. Has anybody done this before and do you know if that's true? Basically there is the potential for me to owe another $4500+ at the time of registration. Those numbers change the calculation of the my effective payment and it may make more sense to go with a new car. I appreciate any thoughts!
Is tax due at the time of purchase or based on the monthly payment? that should give you a pretty good clue as to how your state will handle it. In CA we are charged tax monthly on the payment so an assumed lease, even if out of state, would be charged tax monthly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

some stupid states like FL will charge you their FL tax of the vehicle IF you drive it off their lot. IF you have your vehicle shipped, they can not charge you tax. (If your state is reciprocal with FL, you only pay the difference if any).

learned it hard way couple years ago paid over $10k in tax! haha
(had my vacation planned with the car, so it just went to a waste)..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I don’t have an exact answer yet. I did assume the lease, and the VA DMV said I would have a usage tax on the remaining payments when I registered the car. Although when I registered the car, they did not charge me the tax. It’s possible the charge BMW FS and I will get charged for it. If that happens I’ll update the thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Interesting. I don't have an exact answer yet. I did assume the lease, and the VA DMV said I would have a usage tax on the remaining payments when I registered the car. Although when I registered the car, they did not charge me the tax. It's possible the charge BMW FS and I will get charged for it. If that happens I'll update the thread.
DMV won't charge you tax. Whichever county you live in will as property tax. You will need to check your county's website for how they do property taxes for vehicles and you'll get at tax bill once a year for however long you own the car.

You may need to report your purchase online to the county tax website and same goes when you sell it.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDyDinanM View Post
Quote:
Interesting. I don't have an exact answer yet. I did assume the lease, and the VA DMV said I would have a usage tax on the remaining payments when I registered the car. Although when I registered the car, they did not charge me the tax. It's possible the charge BMW FS and I will get charged for it. If that happens I'll update the thread.
DMV won't charge you tax. Whichever county you live in will as property tax. You will need to check your county's website for how they do property taxes for vehicles and you'll get at tax bill once a year for however long you own the car.

You may need to report your purchase online to the county tax website and same goes when you sell it.
Correct. I was not referring to property tax.

I was referring to usage or sales tax. On the phone, the DMV said the would charge me at the DMV when I registered the car, but I was not charged.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55driver View Post
some stupid states like FL will charge you their FL tax of the vehicle IF you drive it off their lot. IF you have your vehicle shipped, they can not charge you tax. (If your state is reciprocal with FL, you only pay the difference if any).

learned it hard way couple years ago paid over $10k in tax! haha
(had my vacation planned with the car, so it just went to a waste)..
Not picking an argument, but I am a SC resident who purchased my Mercedes S63 in Miami and drove it off their lot but did not pay FL sales tax. I paid the SC sales tax on the car. They said it was based on where the car gets registered.

The day I was buying that car, they told me Floyd Mayweather had just purchased a $2M Bugatti from them and registered it in New Hampshire. He saved about $120k in FL sales tax doing that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
amg55driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Not picking an argument, but I am a SC resident who purchased my Mercedes S63 in Miami and drove it off their lot but did not pay FL sales tax. I paid the SC sales tax on the car. They said it was based on where the car gets registered.

The day I was buying that car, they told me Floyd Mayweather had just purchased a $2M Bugatti from them and registered it in New Hampshire. He saved about $120k in FL sales tax doing that.
"Factor in Florida Taxes and Your Home State's Taxes
Some states don't have a sales tax, but Florida is not one of them. That means you have to pay the Florida sales tax and in your home state when it arrives. The jurisdiction where you will operate the vehicle will require that you pay specific fees and taxes.

Most states require you to do this before registering the vehicle. Check with our local motor vehicle authority, a local dealer, or the tax advisor to figure out your tax rate. By doing so, you know what you have to pay.

Purchasing a new vehicle from a franchised dealer makes buying from Florida simple. There are some notable exceptions. The dealer used should be able to take care of most of the paperwork. Sometimes they can collect the sales tax for your home state, but this needs to be determined on a case-by-case basis."

maybe it differs by county??? which dealer did you buy it from?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Braman
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:44 AM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I'm a Virginia licensed attorney. trust me the VA DMV will charge Virginia sales tax on ALL vehicles at the time of registration.

because it's a lease, you don't "own" it. so Va DMV will charge BMW the 4%. then your lease company will send you a bill for 5% to cover the fee, interest, and handling.

welcome to Virginia.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

p.s. also Virginia gives a credit for sales tax. so if you traded an m4 for a m5c, the you only pay 4.15% on the difference.
and BMW will likely get a sales credit for taxes paid in the other state [depends what state], but if it's a credit, it might be more than 5%. (most states are higher than Virginia sales taxes on cars)

but it all depends.
Appreciate 0