BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    RaceChip GTS Black vs jb4

08-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #111
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
we are saying the same thing. the difference is, i wont mod while i have a warranty because i do NOT want to assume that risk. if others do, rock on
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      08-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #112
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Agreed. Telemetrics has changed the game for piggy back modules and flash tunes. You can not hide either.

If we want 100% no hassle warranties, we have to keep the engine management OEM or find a tune that comes with a warranty that will actually supersede OEM and actually pay out if something fails.
Like RaceChip.
It comes with engine warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
not worth me having to pay out of pocket durng warranty period. I don't mod anything outside of some coding type stuff.

when the warranty is up, maybe, since, as you said, it's on me for costs at that point.

missing before warranty is up takes away the warranty, but after it's already lapsed not so much.
Got a customer that got warranty denied because he coded his car.

Also got a customer that got flagged because he brought the car in for tire warranty and nice enough to tell the SA on his mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
Totally agree, I more stating with just bunging the end of a harness, surely you are asking for the later to be much less likely. They know for certain it was running a piggy, they don't even need to check the logs.
Brought car into service all decked out with RaceChip decal.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #113
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Telemetrics has changed the game for piggy back modules and flash tunes. You can not hide either.

If we want 100% no hassle warranties, we have to keep the engine management OEM or find a tune that comes with a warranty that will actually supersede OEM and actually pay out if something fails.
Like RaceChip.

Quote:
not worth me having to pay out of pocket durng warranty period. I don't mod anything outside of some coding type stuff.

when the warranty is up, maybe, since, as you said, it's on me for costs at that point.

missing before warranty is up takes away the warranty, but after it's already lapsed not so much.

Also got a customer that got flagged because he brought the car in for tire warranty and nice enough to tell the SA on his mods.

Quote:
Totally agree, I more stating with just bunging the end of a harness, surely you are asking for the later to be much less likely. They know for certain it was running a piggy, they don't even need to check the logs.
10,000 dollars racechip engine warranty, for an engine that costs north of 60,000 dollars to replace?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #114
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Like RaceChip.

Quote:

Quote:
10,000 dollars racechip engine warranty, for an engine that costs north of 60,000 dollars to replace?
Did anyone mentioned how much coverage that you want?
I don't think so. All just asking for engine warranty.

For me personally and most of old school car enthusiasts, warranty is an additional perk.
If you are the one that did the damage, pay for it. Don't try to get warranty to pay for you.
Same goes with mods, you don't want void your warranty, don't mod. Stay stock.
If you think that you won't be able to afford fixing a blown engine, then don't mod it.

And, don't speed beyond speed limit, not even 1 mph.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 4
GranitM5366.00
Ck00303.50
euro*1657.50
limeypride4423.50
      08-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #115
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like RaceChip.

Quote:

Quote:

For me personally and most of old school car enthusiasts, warranty is an additional perk.
If you are the one that did the damage, pay for it. Don't try to get warranty to pay for you.
If you think that you won't be able to afford fixing a blown engine, then don't mod it.

I think if you take good care of the car, you should be fine. If something is meant to fail, it will fail. Deff pay to play scenario. I myself don't beat the car up. 90% of the time I am cruising with passengers and a trunk full. When I do push it, I make sure everything is warmed up and the outside temp is cool enough for the turbos to handle.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #116
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:

It's less about sitting away from your own responsibility than fear that they deny a genuine mm by using your mods as justification. If you installed a jb4 and only used map0 they would conceivably still deny any warranty claim even though your mod obviously did nothing to hurt the engine.

The manufacturer will always try to protect themselves first and unless it is something extremely unrelated like your air conditioning pump failing, conceivable ANYTHING in the driveline will be voided because you "chipped" your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #117
Ck00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like RaceChip.

Quote:

Quote:

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #118
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
It's less about sitting away from your own responsibility than fear that they deny a genuine mm by using your mods as justification. If you installed a jb4 and only used map0 they would conceivably still deny any warranty claim even though your mod obviously did nothing to hurt the engine.

The manufacturer will always try to protect themselves first and unless it is something extremely unrelated like your air conditioning pump failing, conceivable ANYTHING in the driveline will be voided because you "chipped" your car.
Unless you are a dumbass and leave your JB4 or RC on the car when you take it in for routine service, it is unlikely you will get flagged for a piggy. Put on a ECU tune and you will. Its not that complicated, ladies.
Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12912.50
euro*1657.50
      09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #119
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

Just for reference you can now buy a used F90 M5 engine for $15k +plus maybe $5k labor =$20k ....so the Racechip insurance isnt that bad......also the Racechip is a conservative power increase what are the chances of the engine blowing up......F10 M5 engines were having issues when pushing north of 700whp mostly.....

Has anyone read the legal warranty claims from Racechip covering up to $10k ? Has anyone heard of anyone needing to claim and have they paid out?
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White

Last edited by Steeve19M5CP; 09-16-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      07-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #120
mrkmtchll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Edition Velocity

So I feel like this thread was overtaken about warranty issues. Looks like the RC gives you more HP/TQ.

I don't care about warranty issues. I do care about reliability, and performance.

Can I get some input, I loved BM3 with my F80 M3. Time to upgrade the F90!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #121
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmtchll View Post
So I feel like this thread was overtaken about warranty issues. Looks like the RC gives you more HP/TQ.

I don't care about warranty issues. I do care about reliability, and performance.

Can I get some input, I loved BM3 with my F80 M3. Time to upgrade the F90!
The RC wakes the car up. You won't regret it. As to reliability, the absence of concern speaks volumes.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12912.50
mrkmtchll285.00