BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Issue with Spotify & CarPlay

03-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What year and model is your car? For the later/latest generation of iDrive, and without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration—the long-press no longer works without it.

I'm not trying to extol the virtues of CarPlay, I'm merely saying that a solution to this thread's stated problem (which is pertinent only to later iDrive versions) does exist.

That said and in my opinion, if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out: the scenarios that CarPlay enables in your vehicle are boundless. If you're happy as you are or if your iDrive doesn't support CarPlay then...

But this thread is about an issue that occurs when folks want both—presumably because they find both advantageous... I most certainly do.

In addition, to compare the legacy integration over Bluetooth or even BMW's latest voice assistant to Siri is roughly equivalent to comparing a 90's Nokia to a 2021 Android/iPhone natural-language AI both in terms of comprehension and utility.

Growth mindset.
I haven't cared for Carplay and I'm a big Apple fan. I've tried it with several cars including my 2020 M5 that I got 13 months ago. I definitely know the irritation of stuff like this and I hope you guys get it figured out and post the fix here.
Understood. I agree mostly but I missed the long-push for Siri so I activated CarPlay for that. I still use BMW nav and iDrive Spotify but it's handy to have alternatives that don't intrude on my daily-use BMW native features, e.g. ordering my Starbucks via Siri and answering the prompts on the touchscreen... among others.
I use Siri just by saying "hi Siri". I send text messages when driving this was just using speech.
Doesn't work the way I drive: music, phone case, phone location, wind noise, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:10 PM   #24
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quick update here:

I just picked up a 21' X3 for my wife and CarPlay is working fine with no issues every time I use it. The only difference that I can think of is that my M5 is also connected to Spotify through BMW Apps. I believe Spotify keeps trying to play through the BMW Apps and not Spotify through CarPlay which is causing the issue where I need to go into my iPhone and select "this iPhone" in Spotify.

Next step to try is deleting Spotify from my BMW Apps and using CarPlay only. For me, this will be ideal if it works because I only use Spotify through CarPlay as it is. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for now. I'll post an update tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
It worked! Drove my car on 4 separate drives today to test and it worked every time.

To recap, in my 21' M5, I had Spotify connected through both BMW apps and CarPlay. This was causing issues when trying to play Spotify through CarPlay. I would then have to select "this iPhone" on my Spotify app in my phone to fix every time I got into the car and tried to play Spotify through Carplay. I was able to fix this issue.

Here are the steps I took to fix:

1. Select "Media"
2. Select "Spotify" the app
3. Click "Option" on controller
4. Select "Logout"

I took the extra step and deleted my iPhone then reconnected it to Carplay after I logged out of Spotify from BMW Apps. It is now working seamlessly.
Appreciate 2
gblansten1976.50
Jamesmick131.00
      03-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #26
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use my iPhone with iDrive and don't use Carplay and I have had no real issues.
Right. But without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration or any other app that BMW don't natively support—you're missing out.
I use Siri constantly. I either just say Hey Siri out loud or I hold the speak button down on the steering wheel Forman extra second and say hey Siri.
I do as well, but only for navigation.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:57 PM   #27
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use my iPhone with iDrive and don't use Carplay and I have had no real issues.
Right. But without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration or any other app that BMW don't natively support—you're missing out.
I use Siri constantly. I either just say Hey Siri out loud or I hold the speak button down on the steering wheel Forman extra second and say hey Siri.
What year and model is your car? For the later/latest generation of iDrive, and without CarPlay, you have no Siri integration—the long-press no longer works without it.

I'm not trying to extol the virtues of CarPlay, I'm merely saying that a solution to this thread's stated problem (which is pertinent only to later iDrive versions) does exist.

That said and in my opinion, if you haven't tried it, then you are missing out: the scenarios that CarPlay enables in your vehicle are boundless. If you're happy as you are or if your iDrive doesn't support CarPlay then...

But this thread is about an issue that occurs when folks want both—presumably because they find both advantageous... I most certainly do.

In addition, to compare the legacy integration over Bluetooth or even BMW's latest voice assistant to Siri is roughly equivalent to comparing a 90's Nokia to a 2021 Android/iPhone natural-language AI both in terms of comprehension and utility.

Growth mindset.
So what exactly do I do? I've had CarPlay for years, in my M6 and M3, and now M5, and this is the first time I've had any issue. It literally will not allow me to play Spotify through CarPlay, unless I select "on this iPhone first" which takes multiple clicks on my cell phone.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:58 PM   #28
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
I had the same problem as described. It was pretty easy to resolve.
1. Delete phone from car
2. Delete car from phone
3. Repair car and phone

Done! Default sound was now back to car speakers.
Repair car and phone? Lol. Seems like a piece of cake.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:00 AM   #29
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
It worked! Drove my car on 4 separate drives today to test and it worked every time.

To recap, in my 21' M5, I had Spotify connected through both BMW apps and CarPlay. This was causing issues when trying to play Spotify through CarPlay. I would then have to select "this iPhone" on my Spotify app in my phone to fix every time I got into the car and tried to play Spotify through Carplay. I was able to fix this issue.

1. Select "Media"
4. Select "Logout"

I took the extra step and deleted my iPhone then reconnected it to Carplay after I logged out of Spotify from BMW Apps. It is now working seamlessly.
I will try this tomorrow, and let you know if it works.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:56 AM   #30
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick update here:

I just picked up a 21' X3 for my wife and CarPlay is working fine with no issues every time I use it. The only difference that I can think of is that my M5 is also connected to Spotify through BMW Apps. I believe Spotify keeps trying to play through the BMW Apps and not Spotify through CarPlay which is causing the issue where I need to go into my iPhone and select "this iPhone" in Spotify.

Next step to try is deleting Spotify from my BMW Apps and using CarPlay only. For me, this will be ideal if it works because I only use Spotify through CarPlay as it is. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for now. I'll post an update tomorrow and see if that does the trick.
Did it work?

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:10 AM   #31
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Growth mindset.
So what exactly do I do? I've had CarPlay for years, in my M6 and M3, and now M5, and this is the first time I've had any issue. It literally will not allow me to play Spotify through CarPlay, unless I select "on this iPhone first" which takes multiple clicks on my cell phone.
Try what I described earlier—use the native iDrive Spotify app. In my opinion, it's better than CarPlay's app. This preserved Siri functionality and other CarPlay apps like the variety of map apps but leaves music exclusively to iDrive Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #32
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick update here:

This is the opposite to my approach which has worked so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #33
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quick update here:

Did it work?
Yes it works perfectly now. See steps in my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #34
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1. Select "Media"
4. Select "Logout"

Did you log back into Spotify after you logged out and deleted the app? Or do you just not use the app?

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #35
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

1. Select "Media"
4. Select "Logout"

Did you log back into Spotify after you logged out and deleted the app? Or do you just not use the app?
I don't use the app anymore. I only use Spotify through CarPlay and it works.
Appreciate 0