BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    USB map update

05-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
rs1987
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI, S1000XR

USB map update

Is there any special trick to this? It's not working for me.

The BMW portal told me there is a new map available (I have 2020-02 and there is 2020-04 available).

I used the download manager to download all 29GB of the file, after which it verified the file, noting that it is specifically for my VIN and that a FSC accompanies the file.

I then followed the prompts and installed it to a FAT32 formatted USB key with the download manager. The file structure is there on the USB, including a folder called FSC.

I've tried it in both USB ports - the one by the wireless charger and the one in the armrest. Nothing happens.

I've tried two different USB keys and even tried an exFAT formatted USB for good measure after the FAT32 one didn't work....no joy in all cases.

Is there a different procedure I need to follow?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
rs1987
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI, S1000XR

So I am answering my own question, in case anyone is searching for the answer: the car needs to be running.

I left the USB plugged in and today when I went out, a prompt to update popped up after a few minutes driving.

In this case, it was plugged into the USB-C port in the armrest...whether it works in the USB-A next to the wireless charger, I don't know as I didn't try.

Last edited by rs1987; 05-03-2021 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0