BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Life in Seattle?

01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #111
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
Do you mean 100k for household income?
Yes, 100k+ household income will allow for a well lifestyle. I would recommend looking a little bit out of Seattle (~50 miles) such as Renton, Auburn, Bellevue and others
not trying to brag or anything but my compensation is above 100 plus my wife is going to be working, so i think we are good for now. we are renting for the 1st year but will try to buy a condo or apartment after 1st year if we will like living in downtown. Or might move east and try to get a house, but i dont want to deal with commute
Mainly depends on where your job is. I have about a 30-45 min commute 4 days a week (5th is working from home). But because of that I can get a bigger house and better city and setting because I'm at home a lot and for me, it's worth the commute
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #112
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mean 100k for household income?
Yes, 100k+ household income will allow for a well lifestyle. I would recommend looking a little bit out of Seattle (~50 miles) such as Renton, Auburn, Bellevue and others
not trying to brag or anything but my compensation is above 100 plus my wife is going to be working, so i think we are good for now. we are renting for the 1st year but will try to buy a condo or apartment after 1st year if we will like living in downtown. Or might move east and try to get a house, but i dont want to deal with commute
Mainly depends on where your job is. I have about a 30-45 min commute 4 days a week (5th is working from home). But because of that I can get a bigger house and better city and setting because I'm at home a lot and for me, it's worth the commute
For now we will live in Downtown so i can walk to work and then decide what we want to do. I personally want a house but driving to Downtown in the morning is gotta be painful, especially from east side.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #113
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
For now we will live in Downtown so i can walk to work and then decide what we want to do. I personally want a house but driving to Downtown in the morning is gotta be painful, especially from east side.
You will hate living downtown and will quickly relocate. Just my prediction...

What part of downtown are you moving to? South Lake Union, Belltown?
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5706.00
      01-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #114
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
You will hate living downtown and will quickly relocate. Just my prediction...

What part of downtown are you moving to? South Lake Union, Belltown?
I think right in Downtown. Just East from Pike Place Market and into downtown intself a little bit
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #115
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I think right in Downtown. Just East from Pike Place Market and into downtown intself a little bit
Oh Lord, you are in for a treat. Care to be more specific? I work on 4th and Pike, so believe me I know this area VERY well. Feel free to PM me if you dont want to share the coordinates on the general board here. Trust me, 1 block, just 1 block, can make a MASSIVE difference.

It's a pity this guy didn't keep up with his "Shit I see on 3rd and Pike" Twitter account. It was pure gold. He probably got knifed and is no longer around.

https://twitter.com/3rdandpike?lang=en
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #116
DETRoadster
Rep

Day 1 of vaidoom! Everyone stay calm, we will get though this, probably.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #117
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #118
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm happy to report the media frenzy around viadoom paid dividends to my commute this morning. Granted I left an hour early and bombed into downtown at a quarter to 6, but still, I've never seen the roads this empty. Like 3:00 AM on a Sunday has more cars on the road. It was glorious. I nailed almost every light and generally hauled as much ass as my little 125cc 8.1 HP motor could give me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #119
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what is vaidoom?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #120
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
what is vaidoom?
There are 2 major North/South highways that run through the city. I5 and Highway 99. A section of highway 99 that is elevated and runs right past downtown is called the "viaduct" and is being shut down for a couple weeks as they complete a new tunnel underneath it (Think Big Dig in Boston). So we go from 2 North/South highways down to just 1. To the west of us is water and to the east of us is water so there's no way around it.

Viaduct shutdown = "via-doom". Massive, region wide traffic impacts are being predicted.

Here ya go. Read up on your soon to be new home!: https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...ss-puget-sound

Lucky for you the tunnel will be done by the time you get here.
Appreciate 1
obert1781.00
      01-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #121
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
what is vaidoom?
They closed and are taking down a major roadway through Seattle. It called the viaduct.....aka viadoom

It’s going to cause major traffic issues. Everyone will play nice for the first few days by taking public transportation or work from home but after that it will get bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #122
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
They closed and are taking down a major roadway through Seattle. It called the viaduct.....aka viadoom

It’s going to cause major traffic issues. Everyone will play nice for the first few days by taking public transportation or work from home but after that it will get bad.
No doubt it's going to get a little worse each day I think. I'm off to China for work next week so at least I'll miss 1/2 of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #123
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Man, reading that 3rdAndPike Twitter was cracking me. I was in Seattle for a few days after Christmas for the first time, stayed at the W Downtown and did a lot of touristy stuff as well as tried to find as many local places as possible to eat/drink at. A couple observations:

1. What the hell are all the homeless people on? Synthetic weed? They all acted the same (crazy, angry, ranting, etc). It was endless entertainment as long as they didn't focus their attention on you haha

2. I was told the people weren't very friendly (compared to Texas) but I didn't see that in all honesty. They weren't quite as talkative as people here in Houston but everyone I spoke to was polite, helpful, etc

3. I loved the weather. I'm sure the number of rainy days does get old but it's a very different rain from Houston so I didn't mind it. Seattle gets more days of rain than here but I think we nearly double the average amount each year. Cold weather is my favorite too

4. Absolutely beautiful scenery everywhere and pretty much an endless amount of outdoor things to do (rain or shine)

5. Traffic sucked but I'm from Houston so I'm used to it

6. It was definitely more expensive than Houston but that comes with the territory of having that type of scenery and everything else that comes with it. High demand = high prices.

7. Seattle has probably the coolest public library I've ever seen. I was in heaven in there. Super jealous.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #124
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
what is vaidoom?
There are 2 major North/South highways that run through the city. I5 and Highway 99. A section of highway 99 that is elevated and runs right past downtown is called the "viaduct" and is being shut down for a couple weeks as they complete a new tunnel underneath it (Think Big Dig in Boston). So we go from 2 North/South highways down to just 1. To the west of us is water and to the east of us is water so there's no way around it.

Viaduct shutdown = "via-doom". Massive, region wide traffic impacts are being predicted.

Here ya go. Read up on your soon to be new home!: https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...ss-puget-sound

Lucky for you the tunnel will be done by the time you get here.
Is it going to make commute any easier? Also is it possible to drive to work from East side?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #125
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Is it going to make commute any easier? Also is it possible to drive to work from East side?
No, will likely make the commute harder in the long run. The tunnel will have a toll on it where the viaduct was free. So some number of people who used to take the viaduct will refuse to pay the toll and will take other routes leading to more surface street congestion.

Yes, many, many, people in my office commute into downtown from the East side. Drive to commuter lot, park, take an express bus straight into downtown. Super fast and easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #126
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, will likely make the commute harder in the long run. The tunnel will have a toll on it where the viaduct was free. So some number of people who used to take the viaduct will refuse to pay the toll and will take other routes leading to more surface street congestion.

Yes, many, many, people in my office commute into downtown from the East side. Drive to commuter lot, park, take an express bus straight into downtown. Super fast and easy.
what are examples of commuter lots? I think i will be wanting to move east from downtown after a year where i can buy a house with a little bit of backyard
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #127
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
what are examples of commuter lots? I think i will be wanting to move east from downtown after a year where i can buy a house with a little bit of backyard
Here ya go: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transpo...s/parking.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #128
DETRoadster
Rep

Figured I'd add this little gem that shows "Life in Seattle" to this thread. Spotted downtown as I walked the 2 blocks from the subway to my office. Looks like a hell of a party went down. What's that, 5 heroin needles?

Appreciate 0