BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Best Sports Car To Pair With M5

12-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #45
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I still vote for a 991.2 TTS . Starting to evaluate one to add to my F90 since the 992 may be a few years away. Checks a lot of boxes.
I like the 991.2 TTS and almost put a deposit on one. However it kinda reminds me of a smaller version of what I already have. So I'm leaning towards 570s. I test drove one and it blew me away.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #46
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
I'm looking to add a sports car but would like to stay in the 150k range. I'm not really a track guy, but I do enjoy the occasional drag strip or mountain run. Below are the ones I'm considering. Any reasons to consider a particular one or other suggestions? My current F90 is tuned and having exhaust and intake installed in the coming weeks, so it would be weird for my daily to be faster than my weekend car and that's the dilemma I'm in.

1. 991.1 Porsche TTS
2. 991.1 Porsche GT3
3. 2016/17 McLaren 570s
4. 2017 Audi R8
5. 2017 Acura NSX
Ive owned or own 4 of the 5 (no Mac)...

So I can speak to the list via my personal experiences pushing the cars in the twists and straights but basically I drive them more as GT cars than track cars.

1. 991.1 TTS- great all rounder- the launcher, the quarter miler, the handler with decent interior. Not as fast a .2 but easily modded with a Cobb handheld and exhaust to get 130 trapper. Pretty sterile in its looks (where I live) because there are quite a few but even then I still always rubber neck when I see a widebody with 305's cruising. I had two of these cars and miss both to this day.

2. 991.1 GT3- great track car than can be street'd. The car is not for everyone as the tq doesnt come on early and the sweet spot of the car is 6k to 9k rpms (amazing lemans sounds though) so if you are just going to do some street driving and expressway crushing its not the most ideal. Its got a sense of appeal and involvement that the Turbo S will never deliver though. Just that in itself is a reason to get one. I miss this car so much Id consider another one even though its long in the tooth and the .2 is so nice but pricey.

3. Never owned the Mac- had many friends who did (none still have the car). Its a junior 720s but the car has a lot of initial probs and almost every one I know had to put the car in the shop. The depreciation (if that is meaningful to you) is incredible so a 2nd owner will get a steal. Just get a factory vehicle service contract if you get this car.

4. I still have this car (R8) its a non plus but tuned to the plus levels since the only difference between the two power wise is via electronics. But the non plus gets the magnetorheological dampers which makes this car so compliant at speed over the worst of roads. The V10 song is brilliant and an exhaust clearly makes it the best sounding of the lot here (slightly better than my modded GT3 pipes). Its a high 120 or even 130 trap car and grip is intense along with vastly improved quattro understeer. I think this is a great option for you since have a modded Turbo car (M5). Slap an exhaust on it, tune it, and drive into the sunset. The sound alone has me still loving it 20 months later.

5. NSX- ok ok so I just got this car. Its a brilliant looking car and drives incredibly well around the streets up to about 130. Its like a baby wanna be tesla with the 3 electric motors totaling about 80 hp and the 3.5 V6 gives it 500 more. The response on this car is amazing around town, going into turns, exiting, and from a dig. The key here is the electric motors which give the immediate response via tq and then the motor takes over. As the speeds draw past 120 the electrics stop and you can tell there is a just a hint of power loss. I am having a tune installed on mine with HFC's that will make it sound better. The tune will get me around 80 awhp/80 awtq so those gains are meaningful. The stock exhaust is fine cause its straight thru and thru in sport plus or track mode but the hfc's are so restrictive at 600 cells that the sound is pretty weak. I have gone with Fi's 100 cell and that will really open up the car. The interior is mundane with some dated technology at the infotainment level but thats fine as the car is for driving. The dual clutch works well with the ECU/TCU to keep the car in the right gear during drive mode manuevring. Its a fun car and the looks to me are great. Its just different than what we all see on the street and it handles really good for 3800 lbs (has mag ride too). You can steal these too right now even brand new.
Amazing right up! I'm leaning towards the 570s. The one I'm considering had an original msrp of 260k, so it's a fantastic build and can be had at a great price.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #47
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
I like the 991.2 TTS and almost put a deposit on one. However it kinda reminds me of a smaller version of what I already have. So I'm leaning towards 570s. I test drove one and it blew me away.
The cool thing is you are going to have a bunch of fun !
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #48
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
GT2 RS man! Worth every penny and won't depreciate!
Can’t argue with that. Pinnacle 911 is the GT2RS.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #49
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Amazing right up! I'm leaning towards the 570s. The one I'm considering had an original msrp of 260k, so it's a fantastic build and can be had at a great price.
Just make sure you have a warranty, too many problems with the Mac's. (comparatively speaking).
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #50
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just make sure you have a warranty, too many problems with the Mac's. (comparatively speaking).
Yes, will be purchasing the mclaren warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #51
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

Quote:
I'm looking to add a sports car but would like to stay in the 150k range. I'm not really a track guy, but I do enjoy the occasional drag strip or mountain run. Below are the ones I'm considering. Any reasons to consider a particular one or other suggestions? My current F90 is tuned and having exhaust and intake installed in the coming weeks, so it would be weird for my daily to be faster than my weekend car and that's the dilemma I'm in.

1. 991.1 Porsche TTS
2. 991.1 Porsche GT3
3. 2016/17 McLaren 570s
4. 2017 Audi R8
5. 2017 Acura NSX
For this price range also look into the Ferrari 458
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #52
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
For this price range also look into the Ferrari 458
Those were my thoughts. Of course, it is slower but still no slouch. Similar to GT3 in respect to N/A and 9,000 rpm redline. Gives somewhat of an analog feel to differentiate between the M5. Depreciation is leveled off and exit would be relatively easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #53
M.S.B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

GT3.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #54
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Another M5c
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #55
BlueBMWM5CP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Marina Bay

Garage List
A lot of Porsche fans here does anyone have any thoughts on a 2018 Porsche Macan sport edition for a everyday car and is it good in the snow? Other suv I am considering Alpha Romeo Stelvio quadrifoglio or Levantine by Maserati Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Trying to find a great suv to pair with my 2019 M5 Comp
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #56
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBMWM5CP View Post
A lot of Porsche fans here does anyone have any thoughts on a 2018 Porsche Macan sport edition for a everyday car and is it good in the snow? Other suv I am considering Alpha Romeo Stelvio quadrifoglio or Levantine by Maserati Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Trying to find a great suv to pair with my 2019 M5 Comp
Get the porche as it won't break down every time you get in it. If Alfa could get its quality control down the stevio Q is an amazing SUB
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #57
getz
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Put some winters on the M5 and it will do great in the snow. We have decent winters here and my wife uses the M5 to drive the kids to school more than her LX 570.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #58
Scorpion76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 and M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. 991.1 Porsche TTS
2. 991.1 Porsche GT3
3. 2016/17 McLaren 570s
4. 2017 Audi R8
5. 2017 Acura NSX
Ive owned or own 4 of the 5 (no Mac)...

So I can speak to the list via my personal experiences pushing the cars in the twists and straights but basically I drive them more as GT cars than track cars.

1. 991.1 TTS- great all rounder- the launcher, the quarter miler, the handler with decent interior. Not as fast a .2 but easily modded with a Cobb handheld and exhaust to get 130 trapper. Pretty sterile in its looks (where I live) because there are quite a few but even then I still always rubber neck when I see a widebody with 305's cruising. I had two of these cars and miss both to this day.

2. 991.1 GT3- great track car than can be street'd. The car is not for everyone as the tq doesnt come on early and the sweet spot of the car is 6k to 9k rpms (amazing lemans sounds though) so if you are just going to do some street driving and expressway crushing its not the most ideal. Its got a sense of appeal and involvement that the Turbo S will never deliver though. Just that in itself is a reason to get one. I miss this car so much Id consider another one even though its long in the tooth and the .2 is so nice but pricey.

3. Never owned the Mac- had many friends who did (none still have the car). Its a junior 720s but the car has a lot of initial probs and almost every one I know had to put the car in the shop. The depreciation (if that is meaningful to you) is incredible so a 2nd owner will get a steal. Just get a factory vehicle service contract if you get this car.

4. I still have this car (R8) its a non plus but tuned to the plus levels since the only difference between the two power wise is via electronics. But the non plus gets the magnetorheological dampers which makes this car so compliant at speed over the worst of roads. The V10 song is brilliant and an exhaust clearly makes it the best sounding of the lot here (slightly better than my modded GT3 pipes). Its a high 120 or even 130 trap car and grip is intense along with vastly improved quattro understeer. I think this is a great option for you since have a modded Turbo car (M5). Slap an exhaust on it, tune it, and drive into the sunset. The sound alone has me still loving it 20 months later.

5. NSX- ok ok so I just got this car. Its a brilliant looking car and drives incredibly well around the streets up to about 130. Its like a baby wanna be tesla with the 3 electric motors totaling about 80 hp and the 3.5 V6 gives it 500 more. The response on this car is amazing around town, going into turns, exiting, and from a dig. The key here is the electric motors which give the immediate response via tq and then the motor takes over. As the speeds draw past 120 the electrics stop and you can tell there is a just a hint of power loss. I am having a tune installed on mine with HFC's that will make it sound better. The tune will get me around 80 awhp/80 awtq so those gains are meaningful. The stock exhaust is fine cause its straight thru and thru in sport plus or track mode but the hfc's are so restrictive at 600 cells that the sound is pretty weak. I have gone with Fi's 100 cell and that will really open up the car. The interior is mundane with some dated technology at the infotainment level but thats fine as the car is for driving. The dual clutch works well with the ECU/TCU to keep the car in the right gear during drive mode manuevring. Its a fun car and the looks to me are great. Its just different than what we all see on the street and it handles really good for 3800 lbs (has mag ride too). You can steal these too right now even brand new.
Hi

I was wondering what's the price? How much are they will take take off from the advertised price? Also how much does the additional warranty cost?
I love that the 570 will consider purchasing it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:17 AM   #59
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Can’t argue with that. Pinnacle 911 is the GT2RS.
Yeah, that would be a nice German combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #60
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Merry Christmas buddy, hope all is well ......
Appreciate 1
Vic5518961.00
      12-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #61
i8_2018
Private
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo + i8 Roadster

Quote:
Macan is an excellent everyday car and also in the snow. It is my top pick in the small SUV category.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #62
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Oh my GOD such decisions to make in life.

Buy one of each!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #63
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Mercedes E63s
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #64
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8_2018 View Post
Quote:
Macan is an excellent everyday car and also in the snow. It is my top pick in the small SUV category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8_2018 View Post
Quote:
Really? I ended up with a rental Macan for a couple weeks while my Jeep was getting hail damage repaired and i honestly thought it was worse than my Jeep Grand Cherokee in almost every way (other than that Porsche badge).. Maybe the sport edition, or other options, would make a huge difference, but I was really unimpressed Slow, lacking a lot of the nice comfort/auto/safety features the Jeep has, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #65
i8_2018
Private
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo + i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
Really? I ended up with a rental Macan for a couple weeks while my Jeep was getting hail damage repaired and i honestly thought it was worse than my Jeep Grand Cherokee in almost every way (other than that Porsche badge).. Maybe the sport edition, or other options, would make a huge difference, but I was really unimpressed Slow, lacking a lot of the nice comfort/auto/safety features the Jeep has, etc...
Well different configurations will give you different impressions. We have a Turbo with the stuff I want. Also I place the Jeep in the large SUV category and would compare it with a Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #66
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep

2017 R8 V10 Plus....... Picked her up yesterday. Since I have an 2018 M5 and a 2016 X5M, I wanted an all motor car.

The R8 didnt let me down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0