BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    My PPF Story

02-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
RoninF90
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5C

My PPF Story

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've gotten a lot of good tips from this forum; now hopefully I can contribute to someone's M5 journey.

Last Nov, I purchased a '23 San Marino Green M5C. Beautiful color, I could not take my eyes off of it. To say I was neurotic about keeping it perfect would be an understatement. I was completely torn about just clear bra-ing the front, PPF-ing the front bumper and hood, doing the "track day special," i.e., the side skirts, hood, bumper, mirrors, CF roof, or saying "screw it," and doing the entire car.

I decided to be a total M performance dork and get the entire M performance CF part catalog (rear spoiler, rear splitter, CF mirror caps, CF antenna cover, CF lower lip (sides and center), and more)).

And then I said screw it and got my car set up with an independent shop to PPF every surface area of the car, ceramic coat the car, wheels, brake calipers, do tints, etc. Full Xpel treatment. $$$$.

The shop did an amazing job and the price paid was worth it 100%. Besides rock chips, debris falling from semis, normal every-day type things, I'd like to share how every dime I spent just on PFF was worth the price.

Earlier this week I took mom grocery shopping for a few quick things, and I was lucky enough to nab a parking spot right in front of the supermarket. I parked next to a Lexus, so I figured I'd be ok...

As we're getting out of my ride, the woman who drives the Lexus comes out and begins loading her groceries into her car. As we're walking towards the entrance, I hear a slipping sound and a small crash. I look over, and I see the Lexus woman loading the groceries, and the cart is touching her car, and not mine...ok. I didn't see anything. Yet.

I then witness her move her cart away from her car (obviously not caring about damaging her paint), and tap my car. I say to her, "Miss, can you please not hit my car with your cart?"

I will now ask to be nominated as the most polite M5 driver.

She looks at me, obviously she's aware I'm observing her. She then backs up, goes around my car, she doesn't hit my car, but she proceeds to "bumper car" her cart between a few other cars. I was shocked to say the least. I guess I must be a complete snowflake to believe that people don't ACTUALLY want to hit other people's car with shopping carts.

She ends up leaving her cart in the middle of the parking lot behind my car. Great. She walks back to me, and says sorry, and then gets in her Lexus and drives away. She was probably 60. Could have been a schoolteacher. Total dirtbag imo.

My anxiety was quelled however, because the shopping cart was plastic, and I have the thickest Xpel PPF all over my car. I bought it to drive and use not fret over, which is why I protected it in the first place. Shame on me for parking it in front.

Good grief. I hope someone who's on the fence about how much PPF to do reads this story and can make a more educated decision on what fits their needs. I'm glad I spent a good chunk of $$ on a quality install of full car PFF/ceramic coat, etc. because ppl suck.

Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
For a customized, and purchased car, as in your case, the route you’ve gone is undoubtedly worth it to me. Glad your investment was protected and safe.

Welcome to the fam. Congrats on the new car.

Now, with all that being said, !
      02-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
Revan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

This pretty much sums it up. Even when raining, I always put it in the cart return.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-02-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
This pretty much sums it up. Even when raining, I always put it in the cart return.
Was thinking of this exact screenshot when I read about OP’s experience.
      02-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
Hell Yes! Other than litter from a family of four's McDonalds Feast left in the lot, nothing quite infuriates me like some fine specimen leaving their cart there
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 07:20 PM   #6
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Lol two valuable lessons:

- trust no one. People suck
- always park far away !
Appreciate 2