BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Removing scratches in dark CF interior trim

11-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Syanide
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Removing scratches in dark CF interior trim

Hi all,

I have the dark carbon fiber interior trim on my 2019 M5 Competition, and have noticed a number of scratches. I cannot feel them when I run my finger across the panel, yet they are unsightly.

Have others experienced the same issue and have you been able to 'fix' them? I have searched through the archives and posts and was not able to find clear direction.

Appreciate your suggestions!

Name:  IMG_4602.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  488.1 KB
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
Oh wow, the interior pieces do tend to scratch easily. My car is brand new and I am contemplating on whether I should get the interior trim ppf as well. There are some YouTube videos that show you how to remove scratches on interior trim, but not sure how it would work with our cf pieces.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syanide View Post
Hi all,

I have the dark carbon fiber interior trim on my 2019 M5 Competition, and have noticed a number of scratches. I cannot feel them when I run my finger across the panel, yet they are unsightly.

Have others experienced the same issue and have you been able to 'fix' them? I have searched through the archives and posts and was not able to find clear direction.

Appreciate your suggestions!

Attachment 3023523
Had this happen all over the driver's door insert and the iDrive controller surround in my previous M5 which had the aluminum dark carbon trim. In fact we had a previous thread on this issue. It would mar so easily. Unfortunately, your only true solution is to replace the trim pieces, then not so much as breathe on them.
      11-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkishM5C View Post
Oh wow, the interior pieces do tend to scratch easily. My car is brand new and I am contemplating on whether I should get the interior trim ppf as well. There are some YouTube videos that show you how to remove scratches on interior trim, but not sure how it would work with our cf pieces.
They scratch unbelievably easily. I looked into PPF as well, but since the surface is tactile with peaks and valleys inherent to the material, PPF will not bond properly, as it designed to adhere to a smooth surface. Ceramic coating may be an option, however. You would need several layers though, and it would likely affect the look of the trim pieces, as light would no longer fully shine/refract through the peaks and valleys. Even that protection would likely not be sufficient to completely prevent it.

In my new M5, I now have piano black individual interior trim instead of the aluminum dark carbon, but that is difficult to keep nice in an entirely different way.
      11-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #5
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
They scratch unbelievably easily. I looked into PPF as well, but since the surface is tactile with peaks and valleys inherent to the material, PPF will not bond properly, as it designed to adhere to a smooth surface. Ceramic coating may be an option, however. You would need several layers though, and it would likely affect the look of the trim pieces, as light would no longer fully shine/refract through the peaks and valleys.

In my new M5, I now have piano black individual interior trim instead of the aluminum dark carbon, but that difficult to keep nice in an entirely different way.
Thank you for the information on the ppf. I bet that piano black looks amazing though.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
They scratch unbelievably easily. I looked into PPF as well, but since the surface is tactile with peaks and valleys inherent to the material, PPF will not bond properly, as it designed to adhere to a smooth surface. Ceramic coating may be an option, however. You would need several layers though, and it would likely affect the look of the trim pieces, as light would no longer fully shine/refract through the peaks and valleys.

In my new M5, I now have piano black individual interior trim instead of the aluminum dark carbon, but that difficult to keep nice in an entirely different way.
Thank you for the information on the ppf. I bet that piano black looks amazing though.
You're welcome! And thank you, it does! It makes the interior much more "executive" looking. I joke that my previous M5 with the carbon interior was sporty, but my new one with piano black is dressy.

Just realized I don't have an interior pic, but I'll make sure to take one and post it when I am in the car next.
      11-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #7
Syanide
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate the response - I have seen videos that help with gloss finish CF, yet nothing that deals with the matte finish we have.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
Syanide
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Had this happen all over the driver's door insert and the iDrive controller surround in my previous M5 which had the aluminum dark carbon trim. In fact we had a previous thread on this issue. It would mar so easily. Unfortunately, your only true solution is to replace the trim pieces, then not so much as breathe on them.
Crap. That is what I was fearing! Appreciate the response regardless.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate the response - I have seen videos that help with gloss finish CF, yet nothing that deals with the matte finish we have.
The gloss finish CF has a smooth surface in contrast with the interior carbon trim; that's why there exists PPF for it. I was never able to find a true solution, but if you do, please make sure to share it with us!
      11-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Crap. That is what I was fearing! Appreciate the response regardless.
You're welcome! I found the driver trim pieces when I was looking at replacing mine from a few sources in the $230 to $280 range per driver door insert side, and the iDrive control surround for high $300s new. I ultimately traded the car (earlier than I planned, for my new M5) before dealing with it, but I can try to pull PNs again if you're interested!

My biggest concern would be to start pulling apart factory mated components and screwing something else up while trying to swap the pieces, so I was not going to do it myself, though it's totally doable. People pull apart the doors to put in new door speakers all the time. Just not something I'd want to do.
      11-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #11
Syanide
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're welcome! I found the driver trim pieces when I was looking at replacing mine from a few sources in the $230 to $280 range per driver door insert side, and the iDrive control surround for high $300s new. I ultimately traded the car (earlier than I planned, for my new M5) before dealing with it, but I can try to pull PNs again if you're interested!

My biggest concern would be to start pulling apart factory mated components and screwing something else up while trying to swap the pieces, so I was not going to do it myself, though it's totally doable. People pull apart the doors to put in new door speakers all the time. Just not something I'd want to do.
Thanks for this - I completely agree with the sentiment of not wanting to replace for fear of screwing something else up!

Ultimately I will try to see if there is something to "lessen" the appearance of the scratches vs replacing the panels (and then scratching them up again through regular use!)
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for this - I completely agree with the sentiment of not wanting to replace for fear of screwing something else up!

Ultimately I will try to see if there is something to "lessen" the appearance of the scratches vs replacing the panels (and then scratching them up again through regular use!)
You're welcome! Please let us know what you find!
      11-03-2022, 07:40 PM   #13
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
It was bad on my last car and I ended up having all of the "CF" interior trim wrapped. It came out really well.

As much as I've tried to keep the trim on the new car free of marks, it's been almost impossible. You look at it wrong and it leaves a mark.
      11-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #14
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
It was bad on my last car and I ended up having all of the "CF" interior trim wrapped. It came out really well.

As much as I've tried to keep the trim on the new car free of marks, it's been almost impossible. You look at it wrong and it leaves a mark.
Please tell us what you wrapped it with that kept its adherence!
      11-04-2022, 12:55 AM   #15
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Please tell us what you wrapped it with that kept its adherence!
I had a shop do the wrap so I don't remember what the material was. It was a glossy carbon fiber wrap. I think it was 3M.

I had it done about 2 years before I got rid of the car and the wrap looked the same the day I traded it in. There were no issues with adhesion or the underlying texture.
      11-04-2022, 01:28 AM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Removing scratches in dark CF interior trim

Thank for sharing! That's a great idea, but I'm assuming you couldn't see through the wrap, hiding what was underneath? I could see a wrap working out much better than PPF since many wraps can work on slightly tactile surfaces if relatively small.
      11-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #17
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank for sharing! That's a great idea, but I'm assuming you couldn't see through the wrap, hiding what was underneath? I could see a wrap working out much better than PPF since many wraps can work on slightly tactile surfaces if relatively small.
That's right. It was a typical carbon fiber wrap. I picked one that had a bit of texture to it. They guys at the dealer couldn't tell it was a wrap. The quality is getting much better.
      11-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #18
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's right. It was a typical carbon fiber wrap. I picked one that had a bit of texture to it. They guys at the dealer couldn't tell it was a wrap. The quality is getting much better.
Thanks for sharing!
      11-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #19
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Here is more of a “replacement” option if interested. I have no experience with it but believe it sticks on top of existing trim

https://autotalent.com/products/auto...caAlWHEALw_wcB
Appreciate 1
Syanide29.50
      11-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Here is more of a "replacement" option if interested. I have no experience with it but believe it sticks on top of existing trim

https://autotalent.com/products/auto...caAlWHEALw_wcB
I have not used these products personally, but if I recall correctly, Maverik259 has mentioned in the past that he was disappointed with their adherence. Perhaps solvable with different adhesive, but that would likely lead to permanence.

I have also seen one other person use the dash trim pieces, and it definitely looked stuck on/aftermarket to me eye.
      11-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #21
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:
I have not used these products personally, but if I recall correctly, Maverik259 has mentioned in the past that he was disappointed with their adherence. Perhaps solvable with different adhesive, but that would likely lead to permanence.

I have also seen one other person use the dash trim pieces, and it definitely looked stuck on/aftermarket to me eye.
Good to know! That’s too bad especially considering the cost!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #22
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Quote:

Good to know! That's too bad especially considering the cost!
I think it's a situation where it looks the best it can look for aftermarket, but still actually looks aftermarket.

I can tell you that the manufacturer/vendor supplied photos do not look anything like what these pieces look like when actually on, laid over the OE pieces. I am highly suspicious that they did remove the existing trim pieces before placing these in place of the OE trim for the purposes of the photos. I think you'd have to do the same thing to get it to look like the photos, even though they are not disclosing that. These pieces are considerably thicker than the OE pieces. The OE pieces are tucked very tightly into/under/against the areas that contain them, so you'd be laying a visually thicker piece that "hangs over" all those areas if that makes sense.

Notice that they don't show you any photographed angles other than straight head on looks at the pieces, so they don't convey how thick they are. These should have been laid flat on the surface, then shot showing their height. Not doing so is certainly intentional.

This weak sauce disclaimer is there, too:

⬇️

Note:
Images are for representation purpose only and may differ depending on the application.
Attached Images