BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Tire Replacement Question

03-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Tire Replacement Question

Recently traded into an M5 lease to give it a try, and its due to end January 2023. Most likely will get into something else and was wondering thoughts on my tire conditions. Since tires often come up for sale, wouldn't hate saving $1k+ if this worked out.

Current Tires
Front Left 8/32
Front Right 4/32
Rear Left 6/32
Rear Right 4/32

Assuming I will need replacements shortly on the passenger side tires, does it make sense for me to go all 4 new? I believe PZERO stock tread depth is 9/32 for fronts and 8/32 for rear, so maybe wont need all 4 (keep front left)?

Also, for just normal daily driving, nothing too aggressive/no track, could I get away with ~5k miles on the set below and turn it in with acceptable tread remaining. (I know this is more or less a guess)

Used Tires
Front Left 8.5/32
Front Right 8/32
Rear Left 7.5/32
Rear Right 7.25/32

Thanks,
      03-15-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Here is my guess. Probably. lol
Appreciate 1
acre22f90529.00
      03-15-2023, 07:18 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acre22f90 View Post
Recently traded into an M5 lease to give it a try, and its due to end January 2023. Most likely will get into something else and was wondering thoughts on my tire conditions. Since tires often come up for sale, wouldn't hate saving $1k+ if this worked out.

Current Tires
Front Left 8/32
Front Right 4/32
Rear Left 6/32
Rear Right 4/32

Assuming I will need replacements shortly on the passenger side tires, does it make sense for me to go all 4 new? I believe PZERO stock tread depth is 9/32 for fronts and 8/32 for rear, so maybe wont need all 4 (keep front left)?

Also, for just normal daily driving, nothing too aggressive/no track, could I get away with ~5k miles on the set below and turn it in with acceptable tread remaining. (I know this is more or less a guess)

Used Tires
Front Left 8.5/32
Front Right 8/32
Rear Left 7.5/32
Rear Right 7.25/32

Thanks,
Firstly, I would want to know what is causing such uneven wear on your fronts (if they were replaced at the same time). Those are pretty disparate if they were mounted at the same time.

When only replacing two tires, it is generally preferable to do it by axle, and not by side (assuming the axle is done at the same time). However, in this case, if your front left is newer (which would explain the uneven tread wear), then I’d replace with a matching one on the front right.

It’s been a little bit since I had PZeros on the M5, but I believe that your provided tread depths are correct for star marked OE tires.

Replacing all four will allow for more even tread wear.

As far as what dealers will accept for tread life remaining on the tires, that varies from dealer to dealer. I find that if you are going ahead and acquiring a new car from the dealer when you turn in your lease, they are less likely to care about things like that. in your case, it seems that you are not, so they may be a little more finicky (or pretend to be) to squeeze a little more money out of you. I have searched in the past to see what BMW accepts at lease turn in regarding tread depth, and it seems they don’t publish a number.

As you said, whether that tread on the used tires is going to last you about 5000 miles is very difficult to know. It is all dependent on your driving style, what the car’s load is, what kind of roads you drive on, etc. It is not inconceivable though to get away with those tread depths if used gently. Whether they’ll be sufficient for your dealer at turn in goes back to my point above.
      03-15-2023, 09:45 PM   #4
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Firstly, I would want to know what is causing such uneven wear on your fronts (if they were replaced at the same time). Those are pretty disparate if they were mounted at the same time.

When only replacing two tires, it is generally preferable to do it by axle, and not by side (assuming the axle is done at the same time). However, in this case, if your front left is newer (which would explain the uneven tread wear), then I’d replace with a matching one on the front right.

It’s been a little bit since I had PZeros on the M5, but I believe that your provided tread depths are correct for star marked OE tires.

Replacing all four will allow for more even tread wear.

As far as what dealers will except for treadwear remaining on the tires, that varies from dealer to dealer. I find that if you are going ahead and acquiring a new car from the dealer when you turn in your lease, they are less likely to care about things like that. in your case, it seems that you are not, so they may be a little more finicky (or pretend to be) to squeeze a little more money out of you. I have searched in the past to see what BMW accepts at lease turn in regarding tread depth, and it seems they don’t publish a number.

As you said, whether that tread on the used tires is going to last you about 5000 miles is very difficult to know. It is all dependent on your driving style, what the car’s load is, what kind of roads you drive on, etc. It is not inconceivable though to get away with those tread depths if used gently. Whether they’ll be sufficient for your dealer at turn in goes back to my point above.
This is very helpful, thank you. I realized I had edited my post and removed the part about the replacement tires. Previous owner had wheel/tire insurance had got two flats (hence the drivers side newer treadlife).

I think I'll just get a new set, not worry about it.
      03-15-2023, 11:38 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is very helpful, thank you. I realized I had edited my post and removed the part about the replacement tires. Previous owner had wheel/tire insurance had got two flats (hence the drivers side newer treadlife).

I think I'll just get a new set, not worry about it.
You’re welcome! Sorry for the error. That should have said “accept” and not “except.” It was dictated voice to text.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t having an alignment issue or toe or camber being off, as that’s often the reason for uneven tread wear between two tires on one axle that were replaced at the same time.
      03-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #6
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep

Was able to replace only 3 of the tires with 8/32 new ones, so all are equal now.

Last question is around tire temperatures. I fixed the major difference in temperatures was due to tread depth, however I'm still showing this difference in temperatures. Could the sensors be off, or is this not that drastic of a difference.
Attached Images

03-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The car’s oil cooler is near the front left tire, so that’s why that temperature has a larger difference than your other three temperatures. In terms of the variation between the other three, this is normal. The numbers you’re showing are not so disparate, especially with cooler temperatures in Chicago.
      03-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #8
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car’s oil cooler is near the front left tire, so that’s why that temperature has a larger difference than your other three temperatures. In terms of the variation between the other three, this is normal. The numbers you’re showing are no so disparate, especially with cooler temperatures in Chicago.
Thanks, had no idea!
      03-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
You’re welcome!