F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Looking for an honest no bs dealer
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Looking for an honest no bs dealer

I'm in the market for a new 2015/16 328i wagon. So far I have interacted with four different dealers and every single one left me frustrated. One told me he would be able to sell for $1k over ED invoice then starts quoting ED MSRP pricing. Another had a car on their website with a special price of $10k off US MSRP. When I inquired about that car they couldn't find it on their website for that price and wouldn't you know it when I refreshed the page the price was gone. I negotiated a good sale price with another dealer just for him to try and screw me on the financing with a money factor of 0.0017 and all sort of nonsense fees.

If anyone knows a no bs dealer that is willing to sell a car for ~$1k over invoice and doesn't try to add bogus fees and insane money factor and other such nonsense I'd love to know their name.

Thanks,
A frustrated car shopper
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

^
I just got my 335i delivered from Weatherford BMW, Berkeley, CA to Texas. Dealt with Danielle, Internet manager, through emails and text only, never needed to pick up the phone. She quoted me a great price from the first email and never changed a thing. $0 fees, 0.00129 MF, no surprises.

Another one straight to the point is Schomp in Denver.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

david from bmw portland. why would you talk to anyone else?

David Padgalskas dpadgalskas@bmwportland.com

trust me.

send him an email
      07-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

trust me.

send him an email
Thanks for that recommendation. My last car came from BMW Rasmussen, but my old CA is no longer there. I have dealt with Laurel Kessler the Sales manager before. Sent her an email and left a vm a couple days ago but haven't heard back. I'll contact David.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

David @ Steve Thomas BMW

Sergik @ Valencia BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
David @ Steve Thomas BMW
Wouldn't even respond to my quote request. YMMV.
      07-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
zyncopado
Musician/Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Mineral Grey

Basel Tobellah at Shelly BMW.

BaselT@shellybmw.com

Mention my name, "Paco".

I hope it helps.
      07-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Wouldn't even respond to my quote request. YMMV.
Sorry to hear about that - have you tried texting him? I've always had the best success with text vs. email. 202-262-2900
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
iamthestig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

trust me.

send him an email
+1
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthestig View Post
+1
I never bought from him, but have communicated with him in the past. Very nice guy, willing to deal.
      07-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #11
kfilter
Rep
Drives: In Process

My family has bought numerous cars from Greg Poland at Pacific BMW and always had a great experience
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with David Padgalskas. An absolutely no nonsense guy. I offered $1k over ED invoice, but was high by around $400 when I calculated the ED wholesale price on my own. David pointed out the difference and offered to take the deal at $1k over true ED wholesale.

No bogus fees or marked up money factor either. Whole deal took maybe 20 minutes max. Very happy This is how buying a car should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
iamthestig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Yep. That was our experience as well. The other thing we always appreciated about David was his very prompt communication. Just an all-around great CA. I'm very anxious to finally meet him in person for our ED re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with David Padgalskas. An absolutely no nonsense guy. I offered $1k over ED invoice, but was high by around $400 when I calculated the ED wholesale price on my own. David pointed out the difference and offered to take the deal at $1k over true ED wholesale.

No bogus fees or marked up money factor either. Whole deal took maybe 20 minutes max. Very happy This is how buying a car should be.
mind sharing how you came up with ED wholesale pricing?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
mind sharing how you came up with ED wholesale pricing?
I erroneously took 0.93 from ED MSRP. More accurate way is US MSRP * 0.93 * 0.92. This gets you within $50 of the true ED wholesale price.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
If anyone knows a no bs dealer that is willing to sell a car for ~$1k over invoice and doesn't try to add bogus fees and insane money factor and other such nonsense ....
I feel your pain. I'm going through the same process in trying to order a new, heavily optioned 2016 F31. I thought that it would be simple process, with a plain vanilla cash transaction, with Performance Center Delivery. But noooo.... The quotes I got are all in terms of invoice -$500, +$500, +$1000 (see the pattern?). Sounds great, but then you add on their miscellaneous additional fees for documentation, third party title transfer, tire fee, inspection fee, non-tax fees, trip permit.... The quote rankings all change, the eyes all glaze. One even quoted an 8% NY sales tax adder - and I'm a SC resident and taking delivery at the BMW Performance Center located in SC. Whaaa...the car is not leaving the boundaries of the state of SC from the time it is delivered to the time that it is registered.

In addition, I am transferring my own current SC Veteran tag to the new vehicle (as I have done for all recent purchases for the enormous SC fee of $10), but they still insist that they must do the licensing and titling from hundreds/thousands of miles away. And this is with my asking some of the establishments highly recommended on bimmerpost.com for transparent quotes. Maybe they just don't like me...

I had none of this crap with a new Porsche that I bought out of state this past April - that will be a 6% discount off MSRP and here are your keys, sir - have a safe drive home. What's with BMW dealerships?

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
I feel your pain. I'm going through the same process in trying to order a new, heavily optioned 2016 F31. I thought that it would be simple process, with a plain vanilla cash transaction, with Performance Center Delivery. But noooo.... The quotes I got are all in terms of invoice -$500, +$500, +$1000 (see the pattern?). Sounds great, but then you add on their miscellaneous additional fees for documentation, third party title transfer, tire fee, inspection fee, non-tax fees, trip permit.... The quote rankings all change, the eyes all glaze. One even quoted an 8% NY sales tax adder - and I'm a SC resident and taking delivery at the BMW Performance Center located in SC. Whaaa...the car is not leaving the boundaries of the state of SC from the time it is delivered to the time that it is registered.

In addition, I am transferring my own current SC Veteran tag to the new vehicle (as I have done for all recent purchases for the enormous SC fee of $10), but they still insist that they must do the licensing and titling from hundreds/thousands of miles away. And this is with my asking some of the establishments highly recommended on bimmerpost.com for transparent quotes. Maybe they just don't like me...

I had none of this crap with a new Porsche that I bought out of state this past April - that will be a 6% discount off MSRP and here are your keys, sir - have a safe drive home. What's with BMW dealerships?
I feel your pain SCMike - battling the same issues at the moment. Here is what i recommend: state all of the known fees upfront in your offer. For example when i present an offer:
-x off MSRP or +Y above invoice
-state the lease terms (if you are leasing) 36mos / 10kmiles per and state the residual / MF
-state the acquisition feee
-state the plate transfer fee for similar priced vehicle (in MI it's $23 and i have a recent receipt to verify this

If they come back with additional fees then ask for them to define the purpose - if it doesn't sound right then say i'm not paying that or taking it out of the MSRP.

I try to be reasonable with my offer to avoid the "bottom dollar" pricing; most inquiries like this will not receive a response. The dealership is allowed to make money.

OR, try David at Steve Thomas BMW - but keep in mind he is very busy but always willing to try his best.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep

Good advice, drexplode.

Where I was getting tied up in knots were the extra fees for titling, tag, and registration for an out of state purchase, even though all I wanted to do was transfer my existing SC Veteran tag to the new car. In the past, I have done all this myself at my local DMV after the selling dealer mailed me the MSO/MCO - it takes about 10 minutes and costs $10 for the transfer. Instead, several of the quoting dealers said that they had to do all this in-house, which begged the question as to how to even do the tag transfer. For me it was more about the process than the small fees. Their claim was that the dealership had to do it this for fraud protection. Great business plan: assume that the buyer might attempt a fraudulent transaction and make him pay extras fees to mitigate the fraud risk. Like, would the average Uzbekistani planning to fraudulently buy a BMW to export and re-sell in the homeland REALLY set up the purchase for a BMW Performance Center Delivery? Ridiculous.

Fortunately, I did find a straight shooter with none of the above BS. I'm planning to place the order for Der GlitzundBlitzWagen on Monday.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #19
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

I had a similar struggle, you would think that dealers would fight for your business... In any case, I had a GREAT experience with United BMW in Roswell, GA. I ended up ordering two cars from them, one for me, one for my wife, and I got my brother to order one at the same time. Needless to say, we got a great package deal.

They are part of the Penske family of dealerships and were EXTREMELY easy to deal with. To give an example, we just took delivery of the wife's X3. Apparently there was some sort of mixup and we didnt realize that the car was missing the xenon lights until after we took delivery. United BMW immediately put in an order for a new car and told us to drive the one we picked up (missing xenon lights) til the new one comes in and they will do an even swap. No BS, no excuses, no getting BMW corporate involved. They owned it even though it wasnt their fault.

If you can find a dealer that will do that for you, buy from them! Needless to say, with service like this i will stay very loyal to them. If you call, ask to speak to Dennis Souffront. He isnt one of those old farts that knows everything and has been selling cars since the model T. He's a real nice young guy who will shoot straight with you and is very enthusiasitc about the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #20
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

I see a similar "problem" with quite a few people on these boards. Everyone expects to get a 2016 BMW at or close to Invoice pricing. We need to be more realistic here. You can't get a 2016 Honda at invoice until later in the year and we all expect to get the car that did not even hit the car lots yet at invoice...

Any dealer that promises you this early an invoice deal on the 2016 will hit you with some bogus fees and the MF that is way higher than 0.00129. They are not going to leave any mone on the table.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #21
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
Fortunately, I did find a straight shooter with none of the above BS. I'm planning to place the order for Der GlitzundBlitzWagen on Monday.
To give credit where credit is due, I should have mentioned that the best, absolutely no BS, out-of-state quote I got was from Jason Ruzek at Bel Air BMW in Maryland.

And to follow up on the dr335is comment, I really wasn't looking to get a deal at "invoice". All I wanted was clarity, which is amazingly difficult to get. I have bought lots of cars over many years (I have a geezer card in my wallet) and learned early on that if I thought that I got a "great deal", it was only because I was delusional. No auto dealership anywhere on the face of the earth is a charitable organization.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #22
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

if the state you are buying from is reciprocal then, yes, they process all of that. if it says $20 for a tag fee, that's where it goes. $2 for a tire fee, that's where it goes. to those state ran agencies. don't get mad at the dealer for doing what that are legally bound to do. now, doc fees, it is what it is. if they charge one person, by law they charge another, else they could be hit with a discriminatory law suit. no one is BSing you. the problem is, one dealer might say, sure $1000 over invoice, another sends you a true OTD number. it's higher than u thought, only to find out it was the better deal. stop asking about invoice and just ask for OTD. and if a different state, clarify your tax situation. you would hate to get home and owe $3000 in taxes
Appreciate 0