BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M5C made in 9/2019 DME tuning?

12-06-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
dasvolk
The King of Speeding
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F90 M5C

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
M5C made in 9/2019 DME tuning?

Coming from the E60 M5 (which I still have) reading all about MHD BM3 Evolve etc is making my head hurt. All I want is the top speed limiter removed and cold start delete, and something SAFE and well developed. The E60 is my project car, I bought the F90 because it's broken too frequently.

From what I understand I still need to bench unlock it owing to the software, but not this insane Femto process I've been reading about. A local shop here in central TX will do it for $400. What I don't know is what to put on it tuning-wise. As mentioned previously I need this car to remain reliable - I just don't want it to stop accelerating at 163 MPH. Thoughts / opinions?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #2
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
Based off of what you’re providing, it does sound like you’ll need a bench unlock (if it’s locked), but not the FEMTO unlock process as long as your DME was produced before 6/2020. BM3 can accomplish many things including what you’re looking for. I’m sure there are others, BM3 is just the platform I’m most familiar with. Find a reputable tuner on BM3 and use them to accomplish your goals!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
dasvolk
The King of Speeding
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F90 M5C

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM5C View Post
Based off of what you’re providing, it does sound like you’ll need a bench unlock (if it’s locked), but not the FEMTO unlock process as long as your DME was produced before 6/2020. BM3 can accomplish many things including what you’re looking for. I’m sure there are others, BM3 is just the platform I’m most familiar with. Find a reputable tuner on BM3 and use them to accomplish your goals!
Thanks! I went with BM3 since my goal is really just having more control over the car's software. Can I assume that the OTS stage 1 tunes are relatively conservative? Or should I go ask for a custom tune, who would be a safe choice? For this car reliability is more important than all-out performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvolk View Post
Thanks! I went with BM3 since my goal is really just having more control over the car's software. Can I assume that the OTS stage 1 tunes are relatively conservative? Or should I go ask for a custom tune, who would be a safe choice? For this car reliability is more important than all-out performance.
Anytime!

Another option if you don’t have someone who can bench unlock your vehicle nearby or you don’t want to send it out, mission performance has an “m-link” Dme unlocker device that has gained quite a bit of traction and they support our vehicles. Sounds like you can unlock it as many times as you want and also purchase licenses for other cars. Costs a bit more than unlocking a Dme but probably a good tool to have. Some buddies of mine with the g20 platforms have used it successfully. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0