Ck00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
To be fair, the M5 driver was obviously inferior at drag launches to the M8 driver in that video and was getting "treed" every time, and a tenth of a second on the reaction can mean 2 car lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile so....
Not to mention the roll races were much closer.

I'm not saying there's no difference, I have no idea if there is or isn't, I am just saying "obliterated" is maybe not the right word....and certainly not worth the $30K+ in depreciation one will take on a 6 month old 2000 mile M5 (bought new).

Yes, I bought my 2019 for 30k off sticker price with 1200 miles on it less than a year after was sold new. Is that worth a margin of error in launch-ability and black border taillights or whatever?
Aah! But here is a perfect explanation, and it's not the driver!

The M5 carried the ZF8HP75 until september 2019. As from that date, it received the exact ZF8HP76 like the M8 did from day 1. The 76 has stronger/faster solenoids to shift more briskly under high strain and can deal with 900Nms. The 75 is just on the verge in launch in 1st in the M5... Look at Alpina, the B5s has more torque than the M5 and was never equipped with the 75, only 76 transmissions there! So as from 09/19, this issue was solved.
This transmission update is really interesting. Do you have the article or info to share. Okay to pm if you like. Loved to learn more about the differences. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:34 AM   #46
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck00 View Post
This transmission update is really interesting. Do you have the article or info to share. Okay to pm if you like. Loved to learn more about the differences. Thanks.
I've learned this on the M8 forum, where the discussion point was whether it was worth the extra cash over the M5? Some were affirmative about this because it integrates "better components"!? The only thing they could come up with is the 8HP76 versus the 8HP75. The M5 was equipped with it later because ZF couldn't deliver the volumes and they fitted it in the M8 as from the start since it was freshly available then.

From BMW I didn't find anything. All the glossy paper brochures you can download from ZF describing the 8HP don't mention the 76 variant (publication date before 76 release date). Most info is coming from Alpina, which integrated it for the B5/7:

Durch intensive Entwicklungsarbeit und viele tausende Testkilometer konnten die Komfort- und Dynamikeigenschaften dieser neuen Getriebegeneration nochmals gesteigert werden. Kombiniert mit einer explizit auf das hohe Drehmoment des Antriebs konzipierten Wandlerüberbrückungskupplung, verstärkten Planetenradsätzen sowie einer optimierten inneren Getriebekühlung, konnten im Sport Modus hochdynamische Schaltvorgänge ohne Momentenrücknahme umgesetzt werden.

They state that the 76 is optimised to deal with the high torque (800Nm), and this has its effect on the torque convertor, the enforced planet gear wheels, optimised cooling. In another article (when I'am not mistaken also from Alpina), they stressed the importance of the stronger solenoids that effectively lock the sun/planet gear wheels to switch between gears. Missing the gear switch is what you could see on CarWOW when Joe Achilles got frustrated.
Appreciate 1
Ck00303.50
      08-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #47
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Well, we used to put Corvette solenoids on trucks back in the day to make them shift better....I am sure BMW probably puts their inside the transmission though. :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #48
Jocko78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 / X3 M40i

Not enough for me to change. Do like the new rear lights and in the process of getting them installed, the rest doesn't matter to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #49
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

LCI also has a different suspension. It shares the suspension with the M8 GC.

Not sure how much of a difference does it make.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #50
houstonT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Very interesting, my build date is 10/2019...how do I confirm I have the 76 and not the 75?
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I've learned this on the M8 forum, where the discussion point was whether it was worth the extra cash over the M5? Some were affirmative about this because it integrates "better components"!? The only thing they could come up with is the 8HP76 versus the 8HP75. The M5 was equipped with it later because ZF couldn't deliver the volumes and they fitted it in the M8 as from the start since it was freshly available then.

From BMW I didn't find anything. All the glossy paper brochures you can download from ZF describing the 8HP don't mention the 76 variant (publication date before 76 release date). Most info is coming from Alpina, which integrated it for the B5/7:

Durch intensive Entwicklungsarbeit und viele tausende Testkilometer konnten die Komfort- und Dynamikeigenschaften dieser neuen Getriebegeneration nochmals gesteigert werden. Kombiniert mit einer explizit auf das hohe Drehmoment des Antriebs konzipierten Wandlerüberbrückungskupplung, verstärkten Planetenradsätzen sowie einer optimierten inneren Getriebekühlung, konnten im Sport Modus hochdynamische Schaltvorgänge ohne Momentenrücknahme umgesetzt werden.

They state that the 76 is optimised to deal with the high torque (800Nm), and this has its effect on the torque convertor, the enforced planet gear wheels, optimised cooling. In another article (when I'am not mistaken also from Alpina), they stressed the importance of the stronger solenoids that effectively lock the sun/planet gear wheels to switch between gears. Missing the gear switch is what you could see on CarWOW when Joe Achilles got frustrated.
      09-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #51
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonT View Post
Very interesting, my build date is 10/2019...how do I confirm I have the 76 and not the 75?
Peter
I looked up the gear and final drive ratios but they are identical. This was something you could check on your conformity statement. No such luck.

Maybe you best ask your dealer?
Appreciate 0