BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 Stock Alarm System

08-23-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
JRF90
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp 2019

F90 Stock Alarm System

I’ve got a Ghost immobiliser installed (UK specific I think) requiring a sequence of button clicks before the car will go anywhere. Tracker is being fitted this morning which is a requirement from my insurer if I want a payout for theft/attempted theft.

Got me thinking of an aftermarket alarm too but I’m totally unaware of what the inbuilt stock alarm is capable of. Any insights into how it works, triggers etc?

Is an aftermarket alarm giving much more generally speaking?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:40 AM   #2
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

I’ve got a Ghost immobiliser as well, and wouldn’t imagine you’d need anything else tbh. There are literally millions of sequences, so any potential thief would give up long before any alternative alarm or immobiliser kicked in.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 04:25 AM   #3
JRF90
Rep

Indeed - I don’t imagine they’d get anywhere but I hate the idea of them trying.

For instance, I know there are alarms that sound if someone is ‘hovering’ which might be ideal during the early hours for a car that’s parked on a drive on a relatively quiet street. Presume the stock detects motion inside when locked.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 04:49 AM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF90 View Post
I’ve got a Ghost immobiliser installed (UK specific I think) requiring a sequence of button clicks before the car will go anywhere. Tracker is being fitted this morning which is a requirement from my insurer if I want a payout for theft/attempted theft.

Got me thinking of an aftermarket alarm too but I’m totally unaware of what the inbuilt stock alarm is capable of. Any insights into how it works, triggers etc?

Is an aftermarket alarm giving much more generally speaking?

Thanks!!
Are the buttons for the immobilized the existing buttons in the car or buttons added as part of the system?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed - I don’t imagine they’d get anywhere but I hate the idea of them trying.

For instance, I know there are alarms that sound if someone is ‘hovering’ which might be ideal during the early hours for a car that’s parked on a drive on a relatively quiet street. Presume the stock detects motion inside when locked.
I can confirm both my pre-LCI and LCI stock systems detected/detect motion inside when locked.
      08-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #6
JRF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Are the buttons for the immobilized the existing buttons in the car or buttons added as part of the system?
Existing buttons - ie hit the downshift paddle once followed by the cruise control reset button and 3 clicks of the heated steering button otherwise car will not move.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:36 AM   #7
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

The trouble with that is it’ll go off if a cat or fox goes near it! And most people don’t tend to take much notice of car alarms anyway. I’d stick with the Ghost tbh.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 06:59 PM   #8
MikeFish
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
The trouble with that is it’ll go off if a cat or fox goes near it! And most people don’t tend to take much notice of car alarms anyway. I’d stick with the Ghost tbh.
It won't go off with a cat or fox unless the cat or fox is on your windscreen. It doesn't detect at ground level, but it will detect someone leaning onto your side window to look inside the car etc. And in this instance it doesn't set the full alarm off, it'll just give 2 chirps or a warning message. And when this goes off you can have your kryfob beep and vibrate to let you know too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
JRF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFish View Post
It won't go off with a cat or fox unless the cat or fox is on your windscreen. It doesn't detect at ground level, but it will detect someone leaning onto your side window to look inside the car etc. And in this instance it doesn't set the full alarm off, it'll just give 2 chirps or a warning message. And when this goes off you can have your kryfob beep and vibrate to let you know too.
Sounds ideal to me - any suggestions on brands/models? My street in the past year, that I know of: 4 catalytic converters and 2 steering wheels yanked off (both those were BMW).
Appreciate 0