E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Who has I-Drive and Navi--comments

05-20-2005, 04:00 AM   #23
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks everyone for their contribution to this thread, I've enjoyed and valued everything that was said. Personally, I'm now heavily considering adding the Idrive/Nav option because I really don't want to get a new car without a nice Nav system. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the lack of mp3 cd play capability in the in-dash cd unit when opting for the Idrive (not including the optional 6 cd changer WITH mp3 CD capability). It would just bug me not to have that simple feature in so nice a car.

There was a post in another thread about this maybe being corrected through a software update. Can anyone substantiate a possible software upgrade for US spec e90's with Idrive/Navigation that will allow the in-dash cd player to play mp3 cd's? I had always assumed it was a hardware limitation, not a software thing. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 06:16 AM   #24
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull436

I think most of the bad reviews have come from people who would be afraid to program their VCR or just have an attitude that you shouldn't have to use a computer to use your car. If you are one of those people, you won't enjoy iDrive. If you are familiar with computers and gadgets and like being able to program your car, you'll love iDrive.
I´m sorry, but I have to disagree. I´m a programmer by trade and IT-Engineer by profession. I spend all day at work with computers, interfaces and programming. I don´t even have a VCR any more because it´d be to low tec for me. But I never had any trouble programming it. And that´s exactly WHY I dislike I-drive.

It´s clogged up with functions I don´t need and those that I do need are harder to access (more levels to go through) than with direct (old-fashioned) controls.
Working with computers (not playing) has probably made me more weary of bad user interfaces and 20 years of driving have shown me some solutions that are hard to beat.
Maybe it´s my driving profile as well, I seem to be doing mostly high-stress driving, under time-pressure, in tight traffic, at high speed and constantly on high concentration. I simply have no capactiy left to deal with idrive. I like technology when it eases my life.

I love:
- the rain-sensor
- Automatic tinting mirrors
- adapative Xenon headlights
- DRL
- auto climate controls
- DSC
- ABS
- SMG
- Navigation

all those things take away no-brainer tasks during driving and leave me with more brain-capacity to get to the task of driving fast in bad conditions.

I-Drive does not. It seazes up brain-capacity just to access daily functions. The only help comes from voice control where I can go back to one command for one task. Only I find talking to my car silly (I might be German but I´m still no fan of David Hasselhoff).

Also what I severely dislike is the fact that during night driving the glow of the monitor will hinder my night-vision. Even if you turn it off, the backlight will stay on (only the text is turned off).
That alone is reason enough for me to skip I-drive

Want an example for the overkill of I-drive: The E90 has a great automatic climate controll. Just as the E46 had. Dial in a temp, put it on auto and it´ll be fine. In the E90 you can even set different temps for driver and passenger.

With i-drive you get an additional menu for climate where you can set up things such as heated seats heat distribution, Auto-climate coooling strategies and so forth.
Funny, I´ve never driven my E46 thinking: Oh my, I wish I could tell my climate controll to use a different cooling strategy. Please, that´s what I pay the engineers to figure out.

So, as you might have guessed by now, I´ve ordered my E90 without nav and plan to retrofit a very simple Radio-Navigation-Unit without a TFT.

Just my 50cents...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #25
flyboy-sa
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330 ... almost

regarding MP3 if you have nav. Dealer emailed me now saying that in October they will release a MP3 CD Changer then I can swop my current CD changer for that one. At least now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #26
pitbull436
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I don't think the main point of iDrive is to make common operations faster but rather to provide many more options to the driver than can be accommodated by regular buttons on the dash.

Aside from a few buttons on the radio for your presets, you don't really lose any dash controls when you get iDrive, but you do gain quite a few additional options in the menus. Imagine if there actually was a dash control for every feature in the iDrive menus ... it would be a mess.

If you look at the pre-iDrive Nav systems, they had a knob that wasn't much different than the iDrive controller. For Navigation tasks, the controller works great. Now they've just enabled that "knob" to do more things than just Nav which just makes it more useful.

Obviously if you don't care for or want the extra configuration options that iDrive gives you, you aren't going to be a fan. But if you prefer not having to go into your dealer to program things like door locking behavior, you'd much rather have iDrive than not.

iDrive does have its issues, but it is still relatively new and has a lot of potential. It will be interesting to see how BMW expands it. It could easily be expanded to give all kinds of information like engine data, emissions data, and internet access (via BMW Assist or WiMax). You'll never get these types of features from dash controls, so I think BMW is headed in the right direction with iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2005, 04:27 AM   #27
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Has anyone with a iDrive e90 been able to play mp3's if they have the CD changer? It sounds like whatever CD changer they currently have available still does NOT allow mp3 playback.

Also, Jwocky, if you read this, can you remember where you got this pic. This is the only hard evidence I have ever seen showing mp3 play in an iDrive e90. (From this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=mp3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy-sa
regarding MP3 if you have nav. Dealer emailed me now saying that in October they will release a MP3 CD Changer then I can swop my current CD changer for that one. At least now there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #28
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Has anyone with a iDrive e90 been able to play mp3's if they have the CD changer? It sounds like whatever CD changer they currently have available still does NOT allow mp3 playback.

Also, Jwocky, if you read this, can you remember where you got this pic. This is the only hard evidence I have ever seen showing mp3 play in an iDrive e90. (From this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=mp3)
That´s an I-drive E90 allright, but it´s the Euro-only "Business" Navigation with a smaller screen, downgraded controller, only one player for NAV-DVD and Audio and no map display. It´s made by Harmann/becker. That seems to be fine with playing MP3. But the US only gets the big "Professional" Nav wich currently seems to not be able to play MP3. That´s made by VDO I believe. To make things even more complicated. The non-Nav Radio "Professional" is made by Alpine and plays MP3´s just fine....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Digging up an old thread after seeing beauforty's comments recently. So, in Europe, do both versions of iDrive/Nav (Business and Professional) have the capability to play mp3 CD's in the in-dash CD player? Has anyone heard of getting this for US spec cars? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
That´s an I-drive E90 allright, but it´s the Euro-only "Business" Navigation with a smaller screen, downgraded controller, only one player for NAV-DVD and Audio and no map display. It´s made by Harmann/becker. That seems to be fine with playing MP3. But the US only gets the big "Professional" Nav wich currently seems to not be able to play MP3. That´s made by VDO I believe. To make things even more complicated. The non-Nav Radio "Professional" is made by Alpine and plays MP3´s just fine....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 01:42 AM   #30
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Digging up an old thread after seeing beauforty's comments recently. So, in Europe, do both versions of iDrive/Nav (Business and Professional) have the capability to play mp3 CD's in the in-dash CD player? Has anyone heard of getting this for US spec cars? Thanks.
No. The Europeans are waiting for a software update for the Professional Nav to make it MP3-capable just as you are. Only the Professional Non-Nav Radio and the Business-Navigation can currently play MP3

The European Professional Nav has a working RDS though. In contrast to what has been posted about the US Professional NAV.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 09:13 AM   #31
Bimmer325iSE
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325iSE

Quote:

Jwocky..........I too am interested in knowing where you got this screen shot from.

Deposit placed for E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #32
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer325iSE
Jwocky..........I too am interested in knowing where you got this screen shot from.
I don't have names on the CD s either.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #33
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't remember the exact source, it was definitely from a european site (probably German). Seems that Trierfreund answered how we're seeing MP3's being played on an iDrive screen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #34
Bimmer325iSE
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply Jwocky

The one thing I cant understand is why the £2k upgraded system is unable to play MP3 CD's but the (cheaper) Business Navi & Professional radio can

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #35
jayfinke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I have i-drive on my new 330i. The nav system is ok, but it could use some better documentation. I have a few questions for anybody who has a good grasp of this system. For example:
1. How do you sort the destination info(restaurants, hotels, etc.) into an alphabetical list? It only seems to display by distance from your destination or current location. Not very useful if you have a place in mind you want to get guidance to.
2.What are the rest of the voice commands? I know there are others because I keep stumbling onto them?
I will be very grateful for help with these and probably other nav issues.
Jay
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #36
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfinke
I have i-drive on my new 330i. The nav system is ok, but it could use some better documentation. I have a few questions for anybody who has a good grasp of this system. For example:
1. How do you sort the destination info(restaurants, hotels, etc.) into an alphabetical list? It only seems to display by distance from your destination or current location. Not very useful if you have a place in mind you want to get guidance to.
2.What are the rest of the voice commands? I know there are others because I keep stumbling onto them?
I will be very grateful for help with these and probably other nav issues.
Jay
1. I don't think it can be done at this time. I hope they add a search by name soon.

2. All the commands are listed in the manual. Also, at any given screen, you can give the voice command "options" and it would list the available commands for that screen. However, IMO there is no substitute for reading the manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #37
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Jwocky

The one thing I cant understand is why the £2k upgraded system is unable to play MP3 CD's but the (cheaper) Business Navi & Professional radio can
Cause they´re made by different manufacturers. The non-Nav Professional is by Alpine. The Business Nav is by Harman/Becker and the Professional Nav is by VDO. The first two are also major players in the aftermarket and have had MP3-capable headunits in their portfolio for quite some time now. VDO sucks when it comes to radio and MP3. The Nav is fine though.

Technically the Business Nav is best. Harmannn/Becker makes the best FM-Radios with twin tuners and RDS-diversity that works perfectly. And their Nav is fine too. But you get a smaller monitor, no BT and no Map.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #38
Bimmer325iSE
Private
Rep

It seems that Navi-pro's inability to play MP3 Cd's could be down to it not having a compatible changer.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=MP3+changer

Would it be possible to buy one of these changers and get MP3s working on Navi-Pro systems???
http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/MP3_P...MW_MP3_Changer

The added bonus is that these changer are much cheaper than BMW supplied ones.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #39
audionet1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 550i M Sport, 22 M5 Comp

I should get my 325 next week (wahoo!) and I can't wait to put my iDrive/Nav to use... I can't tell you how many times I have been lost and pissed off because I'm lost. :mad:

I am also a bit of a control freak when it comes to tech. I wanna know all my ports are closed on my home pc and make sure not too many processes are running, etc. So I like the idea of having iDrive... especially if you're a menu browser like me. My dad used to get mad at me when I was little cause I always wanted to know what every button did and how I could make something do something else.

Ummm... can someone mention to BMW that maybe OS X would be a really cool iDrive OS. Hehe

I'm just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #40
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330iE90, F15X5, F25X3, F15X5

Answering some questions

(1) E90 post Dec software supports MP3 playback. Seeing the song and artist name in full with spaces and lowercase letters you need to write the CD with Nero 6 in ISO9660:1999 format.

(2) BMW also converted their diag software from unix to windows xp embedded. BMW concluded that windows reduces development costs.

(3) Mercedes also opted for the i-drive control, and all the other makes will follow.

(4) If don't like I-drive don't use it. Get your dealer to program the buttons on your steering wheel to do the fuctions you want. You can use voice commands to do the rest.

(5) I am a road safety professional. The I-drive screen is actually positioned in such a way that you can maximise you peripheral vision while looking at the screen. It should be easier to look at the nav screen and the road simultaneously than it is to look at the instrument cluster and road simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #41
BmWr1d3h
Private
Rep
Drives: BmW 330i

I facken love I-drive.......

if u want to play mp3 u have to take out the nav cd and use the dvd drive to play mp3, but u won't be able to use navi
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #42
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmWr1d3h
I facken love I-drive.......

if u want to play mp3 u have to take out the nav cd and use the dvd drive to play mp3, but u won't be able to use navi
I don't... it might have something to do with your production date.

I don't dislike idrive BUT I do get irritated with the Nav system and how it's controlled.
Case in point, this weekend, I was up in LA for a friends wedding and my wife and I were looking for a particular restaurant but the Navi only looks for things within a certain proximity. Well since we don't know the area too well, I couldn't find the place.
Now in my MDX, all I have to do is search by place name and it will find it.
The BMW nav system needs to evolve IMO to be more like the Acura navi which is supposed to be one of the best out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #43
c-lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

as far as navigation systems go, my personal opinion (and only my opinion) is that Acura got it right with their Navigation system on the MDX and the TL. Their system is a touch screen with voice command and it is very simple to use and functional. Perhaps it doesn't have all the bells and whistle that the iDrive comes with, but as far as usability goes -- it just makes sense.

I purchased my 3 with iDrive and i've gotten used to the system and use the navigation regularly. my pain points about the idrive are:

1. To many steps to get where you want to get to
2. Information is not alphabetized (my biggest gripe)
3. Can't look up information by name
4. Won't show the address of the place you found in information
5. Won't show all the steps to get your destination at once

i wish bmw would give in and just go with touch screen...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #44
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
This is a very old thread so I wasn’t going to reply, but what the heck.

I’ve had my car for a couple of weeks now, and I previously used various Garmin portable nav units for several years. The Garmin units are about as good as it gets for portable nav units. I have also used the nav in the Lexus, and tested it in the TL, Honda, VW, and Mazda.

IMO, the nav in the Bimmer is a Jekyll and Hyde: excellent if you know the address where you are going, and all but useless if you don’t.

If you do know the address: using the iDrive controller is not as good as a touch screen, but I can put up with it. You can also use voice to enter address info. Once you enter the address, the route is generated fairly quickly, the graphics are excellent, the screen refresh is quick, I love the dead reckoning ability (something you miss with a portable nav), the map info is very much up to date in the DC area, and the voice prompts are about as good as any nav unit I have ever used.

What about when you don’t know the address? Good luck finding where you want to go. Yes, there are plenty of times when you need to “find nearest fast food” or “find nearest gas station,” and the nav works well for that, but what about “go to the Best Buy in Rockville MD”? You have to say (going from memory here, so this may not be exactly correct) Navigation (click)>Information (click)>On new location (click)>scroll up to the city of your last search (click)>uh oh, since I live in VA, my last search was a city in VA, now I need to change the state to MD... I click on VA... then I scroll through a list of all 50 states, stop at MD, then click again>okay, now we are in MD, I scroll back down to city again (click)>type in Rockville (click)>okay, now I have a list of POI categories... I pick Banking & Shopping (click)>uh oh, another list of several subcategories... hmmm, would it be under “gifts and merchandise”? Yes, I think so... but wait, could it be under “general”? Yes, maybe that is where it would be (click)>a pause, then a list of stores comes up, sorted by distance to the geographic center of Rockville MD... are you kidding me? Should I scroll through these hundreds of stores to see if “Best Buy” jumps out at me? They aren't in alphabetical order. Maybe I should just go back and click on “gifts and merchandise”? Useless. Absolutely useless.

Compare this to a typical GPS unit procedure to find the Best Buy in Rockville. Click on “find”>click on “by name”>type “Best Buy.” A list of all Best Buy locations in the US (or however you want to limit the search), sorted by closest to furthest, comes up. Pick the one in Rockville.

BMW nav disks have all the info they need to make the search function work that way. Instead, they essentially decided to make it not work at all.

If I could order my car all over again, would I get iDrive? Yes, no question about it. Besides being an excellent interface for Bluetooth phone, stereo, service information, etc., the nav works great when I have an address, and I am a big fan of having a "scrolling map" with me as I drive even when I know where I am going. But the nav search/POI function needs to be made useful.