BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Exhaust vibration

05-29-2022, 03:27 PM   #45
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

My rattle (with the Akrapvovic exhaust) occurs during cold start only. It only happens during the last 5 seconds of cold start when it is revving down.
My plan is to get the cold start coded out and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #46
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Since it is the valves, does it quit rattling when the exhaust button is pushed on and the engine mode is in Sport Plus ?
Unfortunately no, i have tested this, and actually stuck some wood up the pipes when it is vibrating, and it didnt stop it. This is another reason why it could be the coupling of the actuators to the valves, and we cant see it. It could also be something inside the rear silencer itself, that we also cannot get at internally. Sure is a weird problem, that i would like to find the cause of.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #47
MB625
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp. LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Buddy,
Could i ask where you got this info from, is it legit ?. Ive been at this problem with BMW customer services now for a while, and they have point blank refused to do anything, stating, its a characteristic of the sports exhaust, and have offered me Ł250 to spend on any BMW products . I mentioned fitting an aftermarket silencer, or system, only to have the old chestnut of my warranty then being void, thrown at me. Im surprised by BMW on this, as its spoiling the car for me now.
Hello Sir, certainly – from my local SA/Tech Lead. It’s as concrete and as legit as I can deduce momentarily. At least you were offered a voucher of sorts!
It really isn’t a characteristic of anything… I attempted to argue that as it’s ‘their problem’ with regard to the slow production; they should be able to produce/find a MPE. This was rebutted as it’s an upgrade; allegedly. Sharing your disgruntlement as well in all honesty.

To cover your later points as well:
- Concur with your diagnosis that it must be the last “1/3” of the exhaust. However, when the vibration is visible, vibrations on the mid-pipe are discernible as well.
- When you mentioned that your rear silencer was cut off, was that undertaken to replace the actuators?
- The exact same noise is noticeable on pre-LCI models (i.e. without the OPF); but the manner in which the vibration is transported (cf. Scotty’s mention – when the rpm decreases post the cold start/warm up phase) leads me to believe it’s definitely coming from upstream. Would almost be keener to have the ‘source’ resolved.
- Not sure how BMW have stayed in touch with you, but for every one of my ‘love letters’ they grace me with a call

@Sharky – your description of how it makes you feel, and the analogy is gold Sir.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:56 AM   #48
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB625 View Post
Hello Sir, certainly – from my local SA/Tech Lead. It’s as concrete and as legit as I can deduce momentarily. At least you were offered a voucher of sorts!
It really isn’t a characteristic of anything… I attempted to argue that as it’s ‘their problem’ with regard to the slow production; they should be able to produce/find a MPE. This was rebutted as it’s an upgrade; allegedly. Sharing your disgruntlement as well in all honesty.

To cover your later points as well:
- Concur with your diagnosis that it must be the last “1/3” of the exhaust. However, when the vibration is visible, vibrations on the mid-pipe are discernible as well.
- When you mentioned that your rear silencer was cut off, was that undertaken to replace the actuators?
- The exact same noise is noticeable on pre-LCI models (i.e. without the OPF); but the manner in which the vibration is transported (cf. Scotty’s mention – when the rpm decreases post the cold start/warm up phase) leads me to believe it’s definitely coming from upstream. Would almost be keener to have the ‘source’ resolved.
- Not sure how BMW have stayed in touch with you, but for every one of my ‘love letters’ they grace me with a call

@Sharky – your description of how it makes you feel, and the analogy is gold Sir.
Rear silencer was cut off, to be replaced with a new silencer, but still the problem persisted. They then fitted new actuators, with no joy. I would have cracked the car up with the silencer removed, to see if i could hear, or feel, any vibration, but it was a missed opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #49
sharky67
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

My dealer came back to me after replacing the actuator valves and now have stated it’s a characteristic of the vehicle .

BMW this is wrong … you have heard the video . If it was a normal sound they would not have attempted and changed the actuator valves . It’s definitely not normal …

This needs to be escalated .
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      07-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #50
MB625
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky67 View Post
My dealer came back to me after replacing the actuator valves and now have stated it’s a characteristic of the vehicle .

BMW this is wrong … you have heard the video . If it was a normal sound they would not have attempted and changed the actuator valves . It’s definitely not normal …

This needs to be escalated .
Are you, or even anyone that has commented already; receiving the confirmation of this fault in writing?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 04:12 PM   #51
sharky67
Rep

I have asked today for the fault in writing today from my bmw dealer from BMW UK . Not happy they are saying it’s normal . Asked to look into this matter further . My dealer will look into this further for me as they agree it is a rattle .

The dealer had the video of the fault . This was shown to BMW UK . They recommended actuator replacements . If it was a quirk of the vehicle they would never have reccomended a fix . As they have attempted a fix it means that their is a fault with the vehicle that will require rectification
Appreciate 1
MB6257.50
      08-19-2022, 04:47 AM   #52
Simon H
Major
Rep

Ive actually sold my car now, but there is no way on earth this is a characteristic of the sports exhaust, otherwise they would all do it. Its the first time BMW have fired me off with a problem, and i was so disappointed in them. There is more than one way to skin a cat. They should either fix the problem themselves, or let the customer fix it, with their chosen rear silencer, which is where the problem lye's, then reimburse them ?.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:13 AM   #53
sharky67
Rep

Hi ,

Yep sold mine too . If it can’t be fixed then bye bye . I love bmw cars . You get some lemons in all brands . Has not put me off buying another BMW .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Ive actually sold my car now, but there is no way on earth this is a characteristic of the sports exhaust, otherwise they would all do it. Its the first time BMW have fired me off with a problem, and i was so disappointed in them. There is more than one way to skin a cat. They should either fix the problem themselves, or let the customer fix it, with their chosen rear silencer, which is where the problem lye's, then reimburse them ?.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #54
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky67 View Post
Hi ,

Yep sold mine too . If it can’t be fixed then bye bye . I love bmw cars . You get some lemons in all brands . Has not put me off buying another BMW .
Of course, wouldnt put me off either. Put my name down for an M3 CS when they are available .
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #55
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Sounds like to there's stones stuck in between the exhaust pipe and the black outer trim.
Or maybe it 'just needs to carbon up mate' lol I've been given that bs before !
Hah after I had my Remus on my M550i for maybe 1000 miles at idle one day I had this rattle / vibration. It didn't do it all the time but would randomly appear at idle after driving for a while. It was a small rock in the exhaust tip. Got it taken out by blowing air in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #56
MB625
Rep

Hi folks, seemingly the day has arrived. The refreshed version of the MPE was installed today. Collecting the vehicle tomorrow. Took exactly 12 months to resolve.
Appreciate 0