BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    My car feels like the tires are slipping

06-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #1
Gilo25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

My car feels like the tires are slipping

Sorry if this has already been dealt with, but I could not find anything by searching the forum.
I have a 3 month old M5 Comp with Pirelli P Zero 275/35 ZR 20 and 285/35 ZR 20 at the back (factory mounted). Tire pressure is 2.3 in the front and 2.4 at the back. When I make a turn from a stop the tires invariably slip, particularly at the back, even if I give very limited gas. They slip even more of course when the road is wet.
When I start on a straight the problem is hardly noticeable.
Is this normal (and I just need to get used to the power) or it shouldn't really happen? If it shouldn't really happen, what could be the problem?
Thanks to everybody!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
oneofew
Rep
Drives: 23 M5 Comp

Mine feels the same, somewhat normal, our E-diff is set up to lock & unlock when it detects circumfrence differential between the right and left wheel as the car's making a sharp turn.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:10 PM   #3
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I know you said you haven’t had the car long but check the wear on the rears. This is exactly what happened to me at like 4k miles with the Pirelli P Zero Corsas — which wear a lot faster. It took me a while to realize it’s because the tires had worn so fast that this was my issue. I kept just thinking it was in my head or something I was doing and then it dawned on me it was was worn rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:17 AM   #4
Gilo25
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I know you said you haven’t had the car long but check the wear on the rears. This is exactly what happened to me at like 4k miles with the Pirelli P Zero Corsas — which wear a lot faster. It took me a while to realize it’s because the tires had worn so fast that this was my issue. I kept just thinking it was in my head or something I was doing and then it dawned on me it was was worn rears.
Thanks for your input, but I noticed the problem since day one and, as far as I can see, the tires are still ok: the car has only 2,800 miles and I have used it very mildly so far. I know the Pirelli PZero wear off fast, but this would be too fast even by Pirelli's standards, I think. It may be more likely that the slipping is due to the scarce grip of the tires, even when new.

Last edited by Gilo25; 06-02-2023 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:21 AM   #5
Gilo25
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofew View Post
Mine feels the same, somewhat normal, our E-diff is set up to lock & unlock when it detects circumfrence differential between the right and left wheel as the car's making a sharp turn.
I guess you have a point here. I am just wondering how long are the tires going to last with all this slipping...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #6
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I see you are in Italy. How are the temperatures? I assume when you got the car a few months ago it was still somewhat cold. Temps around 40f/4c will make the tires hard.

Assuming it isn't too cold where you are now, with light throttle in the wet there should be no slip in a turn. If you are getting that then it sounds like a problem either with the rear diff or perhaps the shocks. In the dry starting in 2nd gear I can take a pretty fast left turn from a stop with no spin that I can feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
Gilo25
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I see you are in Italy. How are the temperatures? I assume when you got the car a few months ago it was still somewhat cold. Temps around 40f/4c will make the tires hard.

Assuming it isn't too cold where you are now, with light throttle in the wet there should be no slip in a turn. If you are getting that then it sounds like a problem either with the rear diff or perhaps the shocks. In the dry starting in 2nd gear I can take a pretty fast left turn from a stop with no spin that I can feel.
Thanks, it hardly ever got down to 4C since I got the car, more like >10C all the time. Now we have more than 25C. It has always done it, both on the wet and on the dry. More on the wet of course. Mind you, I never tried starting in second gear: I am always in D mode, therefore starting in 1st gear. Maybe it has too much power in first gear to avoid any slipping? I will try starting in second.
Appreciate 0